Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
No one. Who is forcing a woman to cut off her "glory"?
NOT cutting her hair.....
It is her own belief that God doesn't want her to cut her hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
[quote=hortysir;11653395]There are a great many of 'orthodox' religions.
It seems that a large number of threads in the "Religion and Philosophy" section are dedicated to ridiculing the Christian faith.
Why do people without religion feel it necessary to hang out in religious forums and bash those that do believe?
Where are the "OMG!! It's a sin for Jewish men to cut their beards" threads?
If doing any of these, what you may think crazy, things brings someone closer to God who are we to put a stumbling block in their path?
Are you only tolerant of only certain things?
If 2 men wish to marry, Christians are told to shut up and back off. "They're not hurting anyone", we're told. "Be more tolerant", they say.
Who is being harmed by a woman not wanting to cut off her "glory"?
Very rarely do I see a Christian starting a thread dedicated to bashing non-beleivers.
We're expected to take the ridicule and be good Christians. Not to speak up. Not to confront.[/quote]

Most of us who hang and bash are former Christians. Fair game. The Jewish people keep their beliefs to themselves. It is not "in your face" like Christianity is.

You don't need to be tolerant of gays....they are not affecting the rights of you or any other Christian now are they? Them getting married would have NO AFFECT on you.

Yes you are expected to take the ridicule. Not to confront. Your own book says to "turn the other cheek" and that you'll be hated for your beliefs. Deal with it.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
NOT cutting her hair.....
It is her own belief that God doesn't want her to cut her hair.
Yes, you said "Who is being harmed by a woman not wanting to cut off her 'glory'?" No one here is saying that anyone is being harmed because a woman decides not to cut her hair short. The point is, according to the Bible and this particular man, women sin if they bob their hair. The restriction on the woman's choice is coming from the Bible, not the people here who are making fun of this website and that verse. Your post makes it sound like people are saying it's wrong for women not to bob their hair.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
When I met my wife, she had long hair..

Years later she mentioned she thought she would like shorter hair, as it was hot, took a lot of time, etc. etc.

I told her I really liked long hair. She said fine, you like long hair, let yours grow, I'm getting mine cut next week. That was about 35 years ago, her's is still short, and yet someday I may grow a pony tail, or not.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Then why not take the issue up with the poster?
I have my beliefs and I defend them, but I won't start a thread telling anyone what they should or should not do. And I won't start a thread directed at a person or group for what the believe.
Jesus also said, "I would rather you be HOT or COLD. But because you are lukewarm, I spat you out."
I won't be lukewarm or cold.

To the sentence in red font:
A person that thinks that a woman shouldn't cut her hair isn't affecting your rights. So whichever they choose, does NOT AFFECT YOU.

For a site that seems to delete and edit at will, I find it strange that a thread which it's sole purpose is to ridicule others is allowed to stand unchallenged by no one but me.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Then why not take the issue up with the poster?
I have my beliefs and I defend them, but I won't start a thread telling anyone what they should or should not do. And I won't start a thread directed at a person or group for what the believe.
I don't have a problem with the poster, or you, or the website. I don't have a problem with women who want to keep their hair long for religious reasons, or women who want to cut their hair short for any reason. Your post just made it sound like you thought some here were saying that it was wrong for a woman to not cut her hair. No one here (that I know of) was criticizing women who decide to keep their hair long. They are criticizing/mocking the website and the Bible verse that states women should not cut their hair, and subsequently, people who would try to force a woman to keep her hair long for religious reasons.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm sorry if my reply seemed to be directed at you, LL
The last sentence of your reply is exactly what irks me....

Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if my reply seemed to be directed at you, LL
I didn't think your reply was directed at me. I just didn't understand that particular sentence of it in relation to what has been said in this thread.

Quote:
The last sentence of your reply is exactly what irks me....
I've been guilty of it myself too often, but I agree that there's really no reason to mock another person's beliefs as long as they're not harming you. However, I can also see how some could view as ridiculous such rules regarding minute instructions that supposedly can affect one's eternal salvation. It's just hair, after all, and it grows back. But if a woman feels she will be sinning to cut it off then by all means, grow it as long as desired. Likewise, if a woman wants to completely shave her head, for religious or other reasons, more power to her.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
I looked at the webpage which really boils down to the author having an odd point of view and trying to put people on a guilt trip should they disagree with his personal opinion. He attempts to squeeze by the idea of it being his own opinion by saying it's in the Bible. Okay, let's see what he has to say.

In the very first sentence the author writes: "...there is a fundamental difference between men and women..." I have to agree. Among other noticable differences, men tend to grow tough whiskers. Generally, the facial hair of women usually isn't as noticable.

The author adds a supportive quote: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

No, as a matter of fact, nature itself doesn't teach that at all. If short hair on a man was natural, then males would either be naturally bald their entire lives, or their hair would stop growing after a couple of inches or so. And since men do grow whiskers, then perhaps it's a sin to shave it off? After all, it's part of the nature of most men. If a man shaves, does that mean he's trying to look more feminine?

"And this special reason mentioned here for a woman having long hair is that angels look on, and for their sakes a woman needs to have long hair." Why is that? "How are angels concerned about a woman's hair? I think that not only would angels be grieved by this mark of rebellion against husband or father and against God, but angels would be tempted, likewise, to rebel." Eh? Does that mean angels are attracted by people with short hair? Can't angels tell the difference between men and women? Would angels start rebelling because a woman has bobbed hair. I can't speak for anyone else, but somehow, a woman with bobbed hair doesn't seem masculine to me, nor does it mean a woman is trying to look like a man. It's just a hair style. If a man combs his own hair in a certain way, that's a style as well. Perhaps men should have short, scruffy, uncombed hair?

"Is it a sin for little girls to have bobbed hair? The Bible does not separately discuss that question as far as I know." That should seem to settle the question. But then he also says, "Bobbed hair is unscriptural, and the idea of it was utterly repugnant to New Testament Christianity."

"Oh, women, what have you lost when you lost your femininity! When you bobbed your hair, you bobbed your character, too. Your rebellion against God's authority as exercised by husband and father, has a tendency, at least, to lose you all the things that women value most. If you want reverence and respect from good men, if you want protection and a good home and love and steadfast devotion, then I beg you to take a woman's place! Dress like a woman, not like a man. Have habits like a woman." Ladies, in other words, what he's trying to say is get in the kitchen where you belong and fix my dinner, then after that iron my shirt. And while you're at it, bring me my slippers, pipe, and the newspaper, while I relax in my easy chair watching the ballgame on television. All women should look and dress and smile exactly like June Cleever or Donna Reed.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Default Excellent post Nightbazaar!

I myself have often wondered at those verses..."why in the hell do angels give a flying fart about women's hair?!" Were they attracted to men? Maybe.

And how on earth does nature teach that it is a shame for men to have long hair?! HOW?! Look at a lion....beautiful long mane! Some things written in the bible are beyone ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality