Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times

Advertisements

Frankly, if anyone allows their child to die, they should be given the maximum allowable sentence whether or not it was a religiously-based decision to willfully neglect their child. The kid is not any less dead, and didn't suffer any less simply because it was done while invoking god. Abuse is abuse and abusers should be severely punished!

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Dang M.C. it's kinda rough tryin' to argue with you on this point! I do hope this is just a general type of observation, I agree with you of course, and I hope it is not because something close to you has gone seriously awry.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Both the parents and the pastors parents listen to should be brought to trail.

This is a nation where constitution should trump any misplaced interpretation of any holy book.

Last edited by calmdude; 11-16-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Dang M.C. it's kinda rough tryin' to argue with you on this point! I do hope this is just a general type of observation, I agree with you of course, and I hope it is not because something close to you has gone seriously awry.
Nah, nothing personal to me, I was just reading news articles and came across the one linked above. It annoyed me to think that people who claim religious excuses for killing their children get off more easily than those who don't claim religious excuses.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I cannot believe that they got a slap on the wrist for a clear crime of murder in this case..This is the result of pure and simple fanaticism that people who are easily led to by blindly following religious leaders..I think they should be locked away from society forever A persons beliefs and religious practices should not be an excuse for child neglect

I cannot imagine any parent allowing their child to suffer and die before their eyes and before the eyes of others..

As a believer, my very first responsibility is to my child, my gift entrusted to my care to love, nourish and protect with my own life if need be..And you better believe that I will use any means [also from God] of medical advice, treatment and meds available to prolong the life of my child..

Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I cannot believe that they got a slap on the wrist for a clear crime of murder in this case..This is the result of pure and simple fanaticism that people who are easily led to by blindly following religious leaders..I think they should be locked away from society forever A persons beliefs and religious practices should not be an excuse for child neglect

I cannot imagine any parent allowing their child to suffer and die before their eyes and before the eyes of others..

As a believer, my very first responsibility is to my child, my gift entrusted to my care to love, nourish and protect with my own life if need be..And you better believe that I will use any means [also from God] of medical advice, treatment and meds available to prolong the life of my child..
Exactly! And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that all religious families are like those murderers -- I know they're not.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Exactly! And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that all religious families are like those murderers -- I know they're not.
I know you are not implying all believers are like that and I know that most of the atheists here do not think that either..

Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I know you are not implying all believers are like that and I know that most of the atheists here do not think that either..
I didn't figure you were, but I decided to head off a few others at the pass who might imply that was my point.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,440 times
If you kill for any reason, there should be no jail time. Why should people have to pay for your care in any institution? Willfully taking a life, convicted by peers with no chance of a mistake lead to jail time? no! With no consequences for negative behaviors this has lead to Americas current state, which is becoming more and more immoral. All behavior should be dealt with accordingly, no exclusions, no exceptions, an eye for an eye, it's in the bible. Religion is no excuse to make an exception.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
peabody58 wrote:
Quote:
If you kill for any reason, there should be no jail time. Why should people have to pay for your care in any institution? Willfully taking a life, convicted by peers with no chance of a mistake lead to jail time? no! With no consequences for negative behaviors this has lead to Americas current state, which is becoming more and more immoral. All behavior should be dealt with accordingly, no exclusions, no exceptions, an eye for an eye, it's in the bible. Religion is no excuse to make an exception.
I found your post to be very confusing. Does your statement about an eye for an eye mean that you think every time someone is killed that the person responsible should also be killed? If that's what you're saying do you also think that someone who accidentally kills someone by doing something careless like forgetting to put on the emergency brake in their vehicle should be put to death?
As far as the OP is concerned there have been instances in which children have died due to lack of medical care based on religious beliefs but the judge gave them the maximum sentence but I completely agree with what you're saying. In a great many cases the parents are given a break simply because religion is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality