Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The thing is that many Christians see these "sins" as normal or they think they are lesser "sins" than being gay. I see it all the time. Christians need to be more consistent if they want to be taken seriously.
Well, let me see if I can have a "go" at this again. There are many sins, but I think homosexuality is being promoted as something that does not need to be changed or "struggled against." If I have an anger problem or a problem with gluttony or whatever, I need to be trying to overcome it IMHO.
Not just say that's the way I am and so I'm just gonna roll with it, so to speak. Again, I think homosexuality has become a lightening rod, hot button issue because so many in society seem to be seeking to portray it as normal and again, NOT sinful. I think THIS is why the pendulum has swung so far in the direction of so much attention being paid to this one thing. Obviously, some do not consider it sinful at all, but just a variation of nature, perfectly acceptable. In order to "counter" this, much has been said about it--and you may be right, maybe TOO much has been said about it.

Check out the writings of a Dr. Greg Boyd, an evangelical, who believes that the church overall, has made a critical mistake in speaking so vocally about homosexuality. Does he think it's a sin, yes, but he thinks too much has been said about it. (Personally, I am a "fan" of Dr. Boyd's. He is a great apologist, but I think he's a little over the top this time. But he makes some valid points.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Quote:
The thing is that many Christians see these "sins" as normal or they think they are lesser "sins" than being gay. I see it all the time. Christians need to be more consistent if they want to be taken seriously.
Sin is Sin, just in this case we are being asked to accept it as normal behavior, which sins do you think we are overlooking out of curiosity, because having been in the pulpit before myself, I never singled out one sin and forgot the rest, sin is sin.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Sin is Sin, just in this case we are being asked to accept it as normal behavior, which sins do you think we are overlooking out of curiosity, because having been in the pulpit before myself, I never singled out one sin and forgot the rest, sin is sin.
You have alot of Christians wanting constitutional amendments to ban gay marriage, yet none seem to want to ban buffets. No one want to ban remarriage after divorce or fornication. In fact remarriage is so common, it is considred normal to many Christians.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You have alot of Christians wanting constitutional amendments to ban gay marriage, yet none seem to want to ban buffets. No one want to ban remarriage after divorce or fornication. In fact remarriage is so common, it is considred normal to many Christians.
And you have a valid argument sadly to say, somethings dont get as much argument as this subject does, obesity is a horrible problem in the US, I dont have number on divorce. But it seems that alot of us (Christians) are seen to only stand on this issue and this issue alone, which isnt true at all, Im against abortion, but I dont feel like God loves anyone any less because they have had one!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
[quote=Alpha8207;724719]

Quote:
By "Have I done it" do you mean have I realized that I still lack one thing? And that after I address that character weakness that I will still lack one thing? Is that what you mean? That without Christ and taking hold of Him completely, forsaking our love and desire for material wealth, that we will always lack one thing?
By "have you done it yet" I mean have you given up your family and your wealth and put JC first.

Quote:
Is that what you mean, Pastor plad?
Pastor Plad!! Yes! Has a certain 'ring' to it don't you think?

Quote:
Or maybe you mean have I realized that anything I hold on to more precious than God is still 'lacking one thing'.

Notice that the guy was 'very sorrowful'. His desire for his wealth was larger than his desire for the Kingdom of God.

If you want to make atheistics comments and statements, plad, you are free to do that, but why quote a book that you claim holds no value?

Help me understand that.
I'm making the point that some Christians love to throw scripture at you to justify what they believe so I've given you a scripture that you all seem to ignore. So, have you given up your family and given all your posessions to the poor and put your JC first.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
[quote=arguy1973;724752]
Quote:
Jesus was referring to the rich young ruler in the above passages and the fact that he was relying on his money more than God.When we read the story of the young ruler we learn the importance of putting Jesus first. The ruler thought he was a really good person. He did not mistreat people, and he obeyed the laws.

But the love of money was his weakness. He probably thought that he could take care of himself without God's help.

Whether you have a little money or a lot during your lifetime, you still need God's help.
So, I ask you again. Do your consider your family and your money more important than JC. If you don't, why have you not given up your family and your posessions to follow JC.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM

Youve taken a scripture completly out of content here, he was talking to the rich young ruler, because he had no time for God, he was too worrying about his money that he didnt need God. I know your trying to prove a point by taking a scripture and using it for your own means, so I wont debate this any further.

Last edited by arguy1973; 05-16-2007 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: ms

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
[quote=pladecalvo;725405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
So, I ask you again. Do your consider your family and your money more important than JC. If you don't, why have you not given up your family and your posessions to follow JC.
Luke 18: 22-23 "There is still one thing you lack Jesus said, sell all you have and give the money to the poor nd you will have treasure in Heaven, then come follow me. But when the man heard this he became sad because he was very rich".

This man's wealth made his life comfortable and gave him power and prestige. When Jesus told him to sell everything he owned he was touching on what the man based his security. The man did not understand that he would even more secure if he followed Jesus than with all his wealth. Jesus not ask us to sell everything we own, but He does ask us to get rid of anything that becomes more important than God. I'd rather have JESUS CHRIST than anything this world offers!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
[quote=pladecalvo;725360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

By "have you done it yet" I mean have you given up your family and your wealth and put JC first.

Pastor Plad!! Yes! Has a certain 'ring' to it don't you think?

I'm making the point that some Christians love to throw scripture at you to justify what they believe so I've given you a scripture that you all seem to ignore. So, have you given up your family and given all your posessions to the poor and put your JC first.
First of all you are taking your "chosen" scripture out of context. The scripture is pertaining to this young rich man and Jesus wanting him to show humility and obedience to Him (Jesus) by getting rid of his worldly possessions. The man honored and trusted his riches more than God.
However, I have made it clear in another post that Christians are also guily of not abiding by the whole law, in that we tend to sometimes show that some scripture holds more validity than others. Some Christians DO tend to hold onto certain scripture as being "truth" while contending that other scriptures are "outdated" or misinterpreted.
Regardless of Christian's or non-Christian's interpretations of which scripture we want to believe and hold onto...God is the same yesterday, today and forever...so what should ANY of the Bible not hold true as much today as it was back in the day it was written?
I still find it completely ODD that when Christians speak against something, we are accused of hate speech or intolerance...but everyone can talk as much crap as they want about Christians and that is completely OK...Why is that?!:rol leyes:

Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I know this was directed, in a sense, to someone else, but I think you are also asking this of any Christian.

First off...Jesus would NEVER ask me to give up my family. Even if you want to bring up the story of Isaac...Jesus came to so we didn't have to offer a sacrifice (burnt offering)...Jesus IS our sacrifice!
As for worldy possessions...Yes, I would give it all up in a heartbeat if I thought that is what he wanted of me! There isn't anything that I have here on earth that would be worth my soul
Matthew 6:18-20
That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality