Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM

954 posts, read 813,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Youve taken a scripture completly out of content here, he was talking to the rich young ruler, because he had no time for God, he was too worrying about his money that he didnt need God. I know your trying to prove a point by taking a scripture and using it for your own means, so I wont debate this any further.
YEEEESSSSS!!!! There it is. You win a gigar arguy. I was wondering when the old "You are taking it out of context" chestnut was going to be thrown up. I'm surprised it took so long!!!

"You've taken a scripture completely out of context" or "It has to be understood in context". I do find this amusing because it comes from the same people that likes to push likewise extracted verses that support their particular view. Often it is just one of the verses in the contradictory set is suppose to be taken as THE TRUTH when if you add more to it it suddenly becomes "out of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM

[quote=kawgpz550;725576]

Quote:
First of all you are taking your "chosen" scripture out of context.
.......and another!! I'm on a roll here!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post

.......and another!! I'm on a roll here!
Make sure you go back a page and read the last response to you

Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
YEEEESSSSS!!!! There it is. You win a gigar arguy. I was wondering when the old "You are taking it out of context" chestnut was going to be thrown up. I'm surprised it took so long!!!

"You've taken a scripture completely out of context" or "It has to be understood in context". I do find this amusing because it comes from the same people that likes to push likewise extracted verses that support their particular view. Often it is just one of the verses in the contradictory set is suppose to be taken as THE TRUTH when if you add more to it it suddenly becomes "out of context.
LOL, thats funny, maybe I just havent saw anyone, here where I live anyway, that just opens a page and says here is what God says!! You have to take it as a whole, have you read the New Testament? all of it, or did you just do a web search to support your theory?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:40 AM

[quote=kawgpz550;725638]
Quote:
First off...Jesus would NEVER ask me to give up my family.
JC doesn't believe in the family.

For I am come to SET A MAN AT VARIANCE AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND THE DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND THE DAUGHTER IN LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER IN LAW. And a MAN'S FOES SHALL BE THEY OF HIS OWN HOUSEHOLD.

-Matthew 10:35-36

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

-Luke 14:26

Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

-Luke 12:51-53

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

-Matthew 19:29 [also see Luke 18:29-30]

Quote:
Matthew 6:18-20
That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Hey! You're taking that " out of context".

Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
And he did bring division, if he didnt we wouldnt be on here discussing this would we? LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
So, have you given up your family and given all your posessions to the poor and put your JC first.
As far as you can understand, the answer is a resounding YES!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Sorry, I just found this post. I have to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
B. We're not saying that homosexuals should be burned and banned, but what we are saying is stop with your poor me victim act. This practice is your business BUT 1. We don't want to hear about it. 2. Stop trying to push your way into politics just so you can change laws to advance this practice and make it "acceptable." Your not denied any rights; you're not a victim, your not persecuted, and your not suppressed.
I live in Tennessee, which prohibits me forming ANY sort of legally recognized union with a partner I may have (except perhaps adult adoption -- have never looked into this). I am MOST DEFINITELY denied MANY rights. The first that comes to mind is that I can't file a joint tax return. (Okay, this is federal level as TN has no income tax, but you get my point.) I AM a victim, I AM suppressed, and I HAVE BEEN persecuted. I will not "shut up" until you give me my rights and society stops looking at me and my kind as second-rate, lower class, or fa****." Oops, I guess YOU just "heard about it!"

And how about this: Stop trying to push YOUR WAY into POLITICS. Every time I turn around, one of YOUR conservative politicians is invoking the name of God or attempting to insert religion or religious-founded mores onto our society through government (faith-based initiatives, anyone?) As an (I assume) conservative Christian, you are in a VERY POOR state to lecture to ANYONE about "forcing their way" into the political spectrum of this country.

Quote:
C. We will let you live your life, if that's how you want to we can't stop you, but will you let us Christians live ours? Thank about that.
No, you can't stop us, and we can't stop you. And we would be more than happy to befriend you -- we're gay, after all! If you'd only recognize us at a civil level (personally, I don't give a damn about whether your religion wants me or not), America could begin its development into the inclusive society that it was meant to be.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-18-2007 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: edited by request

Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM

179 posts, read 119,934 times
Let's face the facts - homosexuality isn't going away. As younger generations move into positions of power within this countries' government, you can fully expect things to change.

Homosexual marriage will be legal within the very near future, rest assured. And 50 years from now, your grand children will wonder what the big deal was and why you were trying to deny these people rights.

Just as you wonder how your grandparents tried to limit and deny rights to blacks.

It's called social progressive tolerance.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 AM

179 posts, read 119,934 times
jaboglitu:

I agree 100%. Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality