Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The more one tries to rationalise stuff, the weirder it gets and there is actually no model that works except oblivion.
Yes ... and I am looking forward to oblivion, even though once there, I won't be experiencing anything. That is, in fact, the point.

It's a funny thing. I have a terrific panoramic view out my office windows, much about the day to enjoy, not all that much to worry about, relatively speaking, and yet this is all not so compelling that I'd want to do it forever. Essentially, that I'm here and have had the experiences I've had up to now is a sunk cost, and given my curiosity, so long as I'm not suffering too much I'd like to stick around awhile longer, but not so much that I'd want it to be open ended, and not so much that I'd miss the battle fatigue of dealing with the vagaries of life all the time.

If you're not used to dealing this forthrightly with your mortality it might sound like this is a rather bleak view of life, but that's not the way I experience it. And I think I have a lot of company. I was shooting the bull with the foreman of the construction crew here in our development and he has an arrangement with a hunting buddy such that he will go out in a regrettable hunting accident if he ever gets some kind of death sentence involving heroic struggles but no dignity. "I'd rather die hunting" is his thinking. And he's one of the happier and kinder souls I've met, so it's not that he's being morbid or something. It's just pragmatic.

Alot of the attachment to heaven and afterlives is just because people are afraid of dissolution and can't face it. I don't know if the aforementioned construction foreman thinks there's and afterlife or not, but if he does he is at least not using it as a way to avoid dealing with his own mortality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Yes, I suppose. Don't Buddhists believe in reincarnation (which is a type of afterlife) but yet don't believe in God/gods?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:28 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes, I suppose. Don't Buddhists believe in reincarnation (which is a type of afterlife) but yet don't believe in God/gods?
They believe in rebirth, not reincarnation -- and it is true that they do not have a deity to worship (although some Buddhist sects have demigod-like concepts, probably detritus from Buddhism having arisen out of Hindu culture).

Buddhism believes that there is no permanent self, and as such, rebirth is more like a load of karmic debt transferring to a new life, they do not believe that anything recognizably "you" survives death.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post

Hebrews 9:27, I DON'T BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION EITHER. I do believe in an afterlife as some will get a reality check, our bodies will die but our soul remains forever, so so when we leave this world we are just in another phase of life.

God is the final judgement.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Hebrews 9:27, I DON'T BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION EITHER. I do believe in an afterlife as some will get a reality check, our bodies will die but our soul remains forever, so so when we leave this world we are just in another phase of life.

God is the final judgement.
Souls do not exist. This is simply a belief based on archaic thinking and invented to address our fear of death. Nothing survives the death of the brain.

Have you even considered what this "next phase of life" will consist of? If it is an eternal church service as alluded to in the bible, that really does not sound like anything to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality