U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 4,623,549 times
Reputation: 1093

Advertisements

I am curious to know how atheists reconcile the fact that scientist have cloned a human's physical body but that's the end of it. It is not alive, it will never be alive. Why? If evolution is a FACT as so many claim then why can't it evolve into a human? I just don't understand how you explain emotions and common sense? How did they "evolve"? What are they? Ok so physical matter all originated from a single celled organism right? So where did emotion and common sense come from because it's definately not physical?
Opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2007, 10:12 PM
 
911 posts, read 3,198,230 times
Reputation: 176
Thumbs up Wow, Heavy and Complex subject...

And Very Interesting...

Spirit(to me)=
Intangibles
"The Breadth of Life"
Essence
The Mystical
The Magnanomous
First Cause
Collective Consciousness.
etc., etc...
All of which I associate with GOD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
 
89 posts, read 279,143 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I am curious to know how atheists reconcile the fact that scientist have cloned a human's physical body but that's the end of it. It is not alive, it will never be alive. Why? If evolution is a FACT as so many claim then why can't it evolve into a human? I just don't understand how you explain emotions and common sense? How did they "evolve"? What are they? Ok so physical matter all originated from a single celled organism right? So where did emotion and common sense come from because it's definately not physical?
Opinions??
When did we clone a human? Emotion and Common Sense are chemical/electrical processes in the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Debary, Florida
2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
Reputation: 685
I don't get what your going on about...I too was unaware that a human being had been cloned but the body is not alive???

I have seen and read about animals from sheep to a common house cat, both alive...

I'm curious, do you disbelieve ALL evolution or just macro evolution? LIKE did you think that when Noah went on the ark he took two poodles with him, two great danes with him and so forth??

If not and you beleive that over time the different kinds of animals developed even you believe in micro evolution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,038,211 times
Reputation: 4273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
When did we clone a human? Emotion and Common Sense are chemical/electrical processes in the brain.
Yeah I didn't know about the cloning thing. When we clone a human brain let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,486 posts, read 13,781,482 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I am curious to know how atheists reconcile the fact that scientist have cloned a human's physical body but that's the end of it. It is not alive, it will never be alive. Why? If evolution is a FACT as so many claim then why can't it evolve into a human? I just don't understand how you explain emotions and common sense? How did they "evolve"? What are they? Ok so physical matter all originated from a single celled organism right? So where did emotion and common sense come from because it's definately not physical?
Opinions??
Technically, evolution is a theory. This is an important tenet of science.

Also, I think you may be confused on what "evolution" really is, as evidenced by your questioning of how claimed cloned body is not "evolved" to be alive. (I echo others' calls for elaboration on this point, as I am unaware of any non-alive cloned bodies lying around.)

I fail to see how mentioning that evolution maintains single-celled organisms as the Ur-form strengthens your argument. Cats, dogs, giraffes, and sloths are multicellular, but do not have the same complex level of emotion and common sense as humanity.

But from their own perspectives, they do, and that's where your argument runs afoul. Both common sense and emotion, rather than somehow supplanting a theory of evolutionary forces, strengthen that theory if explained correctly and ruminated on. We've all seen a cat catch a bird, or a dog eat grass in order to become sick. Why do they do this? For them, it's common sense. We have our own common sense, as well. At a more basic level (think hunter-gatherer) common sense is necessary for survival.

Many other animals have emotion, as well. When I was gone for week-long periods, my cat grew forlorn and paid extra attention to me while I was gone. This despite her having ample supply of food and water. Many dogs are consistently happy. I admit that I don't know what the evolutionary advantage of this is, but it's bound to be very complex. Arguments could be posited through survival/banding together/teamwork and also from a chemical standpoint ("happiness" can release certain chemicals, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 04:32 AM
 
646 posts, read 1,484,050 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I am curious to know how atheists reconcile the fact that scientist have cloned a human's physical body but that's the end of it.
As with other posters, I have never heard of this happening. Can you provide proof? It seems not to exist in any of the standard news sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
It is not alive, it will never be alive. Why? If evolution is a FACT as so many claim then why can't it evolve into a human?
Evolution does not happen to individuals. You, and I, and anybody reading this will not evolve. We cannot. We are geneticaly fixed in place as we were on the day that we were born. Evolution happens to species. Collectively, all of our children, as they reproduce over many, many generations to follow, will evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I just don't understand how you explain emotions and common sense? How did they "evolve"? What are they? Ok so physical matter all originated from a single celled organism right? So where did emotion and common sense come from because it's definately not physical?
Sure they are physical. They are the results of electrochemical reactions in the brain. Read up on it. If you stimulate certain areas of the brain with electricity, you can cause a person to feel happy, or sad, or afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Hillsborough
2,825 posts, read 5,953,202 times
Reputation: 2620
Again, I don't know what this cloned non-alive human is that you refer to. I don't see why a cloned human would be any less alive than a cloned sheep or cat though.

And as for the evolution aspect - individuals don't evolve, populations do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 4,623,549 times
Reputation: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
When did we clone a human? Emotion and Common Sense are chemical/electrical processes in the brain.
Please forgive me I think I was mistaken. I thought that but I can't find any proof. I should have researched it before making that claim. Forgive my ignorance. (Do they have one of these emoticons in bright red? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 4,623,549 times
Reputation: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I'm curious, do you disbelieve ALL evolution or just macro evolution? LIKE did you think that when Noah went on the ark he took two poodles with him, two great danes with him and so forth??

If not and you beleive that over time the different kinds of animals developed even you believe in micro evolution...

I'm not very familiar with evolution I guess but I believe that evolution and creationism can cooexist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top