Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times

Advertisements

People make up all sorts of strange stories to sooth their survival instinct. But the truth is, we aren't infinite.

When our brain dies, so do we.

We don't live forever, we don't come back in another form, there is no conscious thought after we die. Our time is short.

That's a hard concept for many to accept, but it's none-the-less true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Here's a little more detail about what happens when we die:

Quote:
When the spirit leaves the body, there is a breaking of the silver cord, as it is called, and thereby all connection between the spirit and the body is severed for all eternity - never again can that spirit enter that body, and neither can any other spirit, although, I know, it is claimed by some spiritualists that another spirit may inhabit the cast-off body. But this is all wrong, for no spirit ever enters the body which has once been the home of another spirit, and, hence, claims made by some of the wise men of the East that such a thing can be, have no foundation in fact.

When this tie has been once severed, there are certain chemical laws affecting the physical body, and certain spiritual laws affecting the spirit, which absolutely render it impossible for the spirit to again enter the body; and as you have been informed, we all, mortals and spirits and angels as well, are governed by laws which have no exceptions, and never vary in their workings. So I say, when once the spirit and body separate, it is for all eternity, and the spirit then becomes of itself, a thing apart, controlled entirely and exclusively by laws governing the spirit body.

What does the spirit of man do when it leaves the physical body for eternity (http://tinyurl.com/y9fxhny - broken link)

Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Here's a little more detail about what happens when we die:
Since you seem to have it on good authority..... tell us about possession then please. It appears there is a fight for the physical body and one spirit loses.

Quote:
...and, hence, claims made by some of the wise men of the East that such a thing can be, have no foundation in fact.
So you are saying that you are wiser than they are and that they were 'mistaken' then?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes, absolutely

the part of us that is the soul or spirit is eternal
it exists before entering the physical body, it continues to exist after leaving the physical body at what is called "death"

evolved cultures and civilizations have known this for eons
it is only the more primitive cultures and civilizations that deny the existence of a soul or spirit

the same holds true for individuals

ahh! someone that gets it!----i agree!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM

169 posts, read 353,834 times

Muslims believe that the present life is a trial in preparation for the next

realm of existence. When a Muslim dies, he or she is washed and wrapped

in a clean, white cloth (usually by a family member) and buried after a

special prayer, preferably the same day. Muslims consider this a final

service that they can do for their relatives and an opportunity to

remember that their own existence here on earth is brief.

Surely, God is just. He will punish the tyrants, whose crimes are beyond

count - having tortured and killed hundreds or thousands of innocent

people, created great corruption in society, enslaved numerous persons to

serve their whims, etc., because man has a very short life span in this

world and because numerous individuals are affected by one’s actions

adequate punishments and rewards are not possible in this life. The Quran

very emphatically states that the Day of Judgment must come and that

God will decide the fate of each soul according to his or her record of deeds:

But those who disbelieve say, “The Hour (i.e. the Day of Judgment) will not come to us.†Say, “Yes, by my Lord, it will surely come to you. [God is] the Knower of the unseen.†Not absent from Him is an atom’s weight within the heavens or within the earth or [what is] smaller than that or greater, except that it is in a clear register - That He may reward those who believe and do righteous deeds. Those will have forgiveness and noble provision. But those who strive against Our verses [seeking] to cause failure (i.e. to undermine their credibility) - for them will be a painful punishment of foul nature. (Quran, 34:3-5)

The Day of Resurrection will be the Day when God’s attributes of Justice

and Mercy will be in full manifestation. God will shower His mercy on those

who suffered for His sake in the worldly life, believing that an eternal bliss

was awaiting them. But those who abused the bounties of God, caring

nothing for the life to come, will be in the most miserable state. Drawing

a comparison between them

jmoool

Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Do you believe in life after death?

This isn't a debate about whether or not one goes to heaven or hell.

Just want to know if people believe that there is an existence after our physical body dies.
Nice, pleasant thought but no I don't believe there is life of any definition after death.
I was nothing before birth and I will be nothing after death.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
And it is He Who has created you on the earth, and to Him you shall be gathered back.

And it is He Who gives life and causes death, and His is the alternation of night and day. Will you not then understand?

Nay, but they say the like of what the men of old said.

They said: "When we are dead and have become dust and bones, shall we be resurrected indeed?

"Verily, this we have been promised - we and our fathers before (us)! This is only the tales of the ancients!"
Hey! Thanks for proving my point! Quote: "This is only the tales of the ancients"

Now, in my humble but scientifically educated opinion, and to the OP's direct question, simply, in three words:

Of course not.

Last edited by rifleman; 12-08-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM

34 posts, read 42,984 times
Yes - Check out jewishnotgreek.com Why Conditional Immortality is true and biblical for excellent info about this.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Since you seem to have it on good authority..... tell us about possession then please. It appears there is a fight for the physical body and one spirit loses.

So you are saying that you are wiser than they are and that they were 'mistaken' then?
The reference is about reincarnation as there is no such thing.

After the physical body ceases breathing for all time, the spirit body and the soul (which is contained in the spirit body) passes over into the spirit world. The soul never disassociates itself from the spirit body.

Did you ever see that movie "Ghost?" There is a scene where this man is in the hospital and he dies and his spirit body lifts out of his body. This is a pretty good movie that explains what happens after we die.

I knew this gal who was a Buddhist and she told me that they believe that upon death our souls go to a big warehouse of souls in the next world and they just hang out there until it's their time to be reborn. This line of belief is preposterous.

When we die, we look exactly as we do when we're alive... head, arms, legs, hands, feet, hair, teeth, eyes... the whole shebang, but we're spirits and not people.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
The reference is about reincarnation as there is no such thing. After the physical body ceases breathing for all time, the spirit body and the soul (which is contained in the spirit body) passes over into the spirit world. The soul never disassociates itself from the spirit body
And I was saying that you spoke/wrote as if you had been told this by 'someone who knew' what happened. Why do you say there is no such thing as reincarnation? Many religions believe this and it is a good model for life after death.

How can you say that one spirit never leaves the body until after death when there are cases of possession that clearly have 2 entities fighting for ownership. What do you think about this then?

Yes I saw the movie 'ghost' it was a good movie. I like the one called "Michael" too with John Travolta as the angel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality