Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 10:53 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Christian Science (the sect) has nothing to do with science.
aaaah ok now I know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:

You seem to be requiring an all-or-nothing approach: Every word is literal or every word is false.
No, *I'm* not requiring it. It is what has been smacked into me whenever I say "maybe such-and-such didn't actually happen".

Yes, I do see that you're saying certain books can be taken as literal and certain books can be taken as allegory.

Mark, you know I respect you. If I didn't, I wouldn't have taken your teachings of the Oobie-Doobie into my heart.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, *I'm* not requiring it. It is what has been smacked into me whenever I say "maybe such-and-such didn't actually happen".

Yes, I do see that you're saying certain books can be taken as literal and certain books can be taken as allegory.

Mark, you know I respect you. If I didn't, I wouldn't have taken your teachings of the Oobie-Doobie into my heart.
Oh Dear I missed the oobie doobie

Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
Oh Dear I missed the oobie doobie
HOW did you miss the oobie-doobie...

Luckily for you, I am here to bear witness to the oobie-doobie...

It was actually pretty funny. Or at least I was tickled by it. Someone was debating with Mark_S and asked him, "Do you mean the soul?" to clarify something Mark was talking about. Mark said something to the effect of, "Yes, the soul, or call it what you like...the Force or the oobie-doobie..." Those aren't the exact words but somehow that hit me just right and made me laugh.

So I threatened to steal his oobie-doobie philosophy and I did...it's in my user title now.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
HOW did you miss the oobie-doobie...

Luckily for you, I am here to bear witness to the oobie-doobie...

It was actually pretty funny. Or at least I was tickled by it. Someone was debating with Mark_S and asked him, "Do you mean the soul?" to clarify something Mark was talking about. Mark said something to the effect of, "Yes, the soul, or call it what you like...the Force or the oobie-doobie..." Those aren't the exact words but somehow that hit me just right and made me laugh.

So I threatened to steal his oobie-doobie philosophy and I did...it's in my user title now.
oh dear I am sorry I missed the oobie doobie

hey I have to go dig dirt (literally) in my yard
I will be back refreshed for the Christian debate later
peace to all
kelly

Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
How can you be sure that the bible stories are true if they contain mis-translations and omissions? If there are mis-translations and omissions in your bible....how do you decide what is true and what isn't? How do you decide what is translated correctly and what isn't? How can you be sure that what was omitted shouldn't have been included? Mis-translation and omission can dramatically alter the 'truth' of a story.
Well to my mind The Bible is a collection of books written by people who were trying to explain something about God, so the obvious thing to do is meet God yourself so that you know what they are talking about.

The Bible all comes clear once you meet God.

You can see what the people were really trying to say.

Like God showed me repeatedly that the firmament including earth is under water.

Then I noticed that The First Page of The Bible explains that God created this universe Under Water.

But you will never hear a Christian preacher say the world is under water!

No.

Because they have not met God so they cannot see The Bible clearly

& do not know what it really says, except for the lessons about morals etc.

So it doesn't matter if there are mistranslations or interpretations because once you meet God everything becomes clear,

& you will not be concerned at all by minor details that seem to be not correct.

Words cannot describe God clearly.

That is the basic lesson to learn.

You need to meet God for yourself & then you will be lost for words as well;

& if you do try to describe God in words you will not be able to do so clearly.

Also religious scriptures get changed a little each time they are revised.

Like The Bible has countless different editions which are usually radically different than each other.

So don't worry about seeming errors in books.

God is true & you can meet Him face to face like He says you can.

Quote:
John 14:King James Version (KJV)..
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
actually a liquid universe is valid.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
If the story of Adam and Eve is not fact, then it can't be considered "the truth"!! x 10!!
Quote:
It is a myth. And by that I mean that it is a story intended to convey meaning and Truth, not necessarily record the facts as a historian would try to do. I think that’s pretty obvious given that there is a talking snake involved.
Ah! So If there was no Adam and Eve then there was no original sin. If there was no original sin there was nothing for Jesus to save you from - so Jesus has become 'surplus to requirement'.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
How can you be sure that the bible stories are true if they contain mis-translations and omissions? If there are mis-translations and omissions in your bible....how do you decide what is true and what isn't? How do you decide what is translated correctly and what isn't? How can you be sure that what was omitted shouldn't have been included? Mis-translation and omission can dramatically alter the 'truth' of a story.
Agendas...

Old 11-10-2019, 05:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
no, there are no "errors" in the bible. There are errors when people start pushing it as the literal word of god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality