Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I happened to run across a news story in which an LA disc jockey discovered that his biological Father was Charles Manson. Here's a link:

I can't even imagine what a shock that must have been and to make matters worse his Mother said she was raped by Manson. Manson has confirmed that he is the Father and has corresponded with his son in some rambling, incoherent written messages.
One of the Ten Commandments is that you should honor your Father and Mother but what if one or both of your parents aren't deserving of any respect whatsoever? Not many parents are as notoriously messed up in the head as Manson but there are millions of Mothers and Fathers who may not be famous for their crimes but nevertheless they're worthless as parents and as human beings. Do any of you think that an individual deserves a certain higher status just because they happened to have children? I for one do not.
Well it's not a good idea or smart to say your parents are worthless human beings because your parents are the reason you are here today to say such a thing so your basically calling yourself out. But anyway, I think you can cut off your parents once you reach a certain age and depending on the situation. In that Manson kids case, it's for the best. After you become an adult with a wife and kids, your no longer obligated to your parents. In his case, he can't do anything for them or want to be apart of their lives and it's understandable. But if he was a child, totally different ball game. He would have to respect his parent's regardless of how they are. Until he gets of age to get out of the house. My $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 PM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
No! The ten commandments are timeless!
This one is special! Is the only commandment that also comes with a pledge.
You need to respect your parents! You can't judge them for their mistakes especially when you don't know too much about them! And I found it selfish to judge someone just because YOU were hurt by some mistakes. Maybe he was hurt too ...and maybe others were hurt more than you!
There are no "worthless parents or human beings"! Someone who thinks about his fellow that he is worthless shouldn't consider himself a Christian!
My father wasn't the richest dad I knew but he wasn't the poorest either! Anyway because he didn't made as much money as I wanted he didn't got much respect from me. I judged and cursed him everyday because he didn't had a better job since when I was 15 'till I was 21. After some years I realized how wrong I was and if I would respect this commandment I won't make mistakes like this again!
No some parents are not to be honoured..

Amanda Bates

Grand Junction, Colorado

Died (untreated diabetes)
February 5, 2001
Her parents knew she was sick, and prayed for her. What they didn't know was she was diabetic. They never called for medical assistance until she was already dead. They later pled guilty to negligent child abuse.

Saundra Arnold

Sacramento, California

Died (untreated intenstinal blockage)
Saundra was ill for 18 days with an intestinal blockage before she died. Her mother, a member of the Church of the First Born, was convicted of manslaughter

There are hundreds of cases like this, the most graphic, was a women who cut the arms off of her baby while it was alive...

In November 2004, Ms. Schlosser was arrested after she reported cutting off her 10-month-old daughter's arms with a kitchen knife. She told psychiatrists that God had told her to sever the child's limbs.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM

19 posts, read 47,989 times
In response to milkdrinker. I will use another commandment as an example of using the gospels as the interpretation of the commandment. In exod 20:8-10 it states remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou,nor thy son, nor thy daughter,thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. The commandment is given its true definition in mat 12:1-13. If i read the bible the way you do i would have to go around stoning people. Your way is not the way and your truth is not the truth. I will use the word of the way and the truth(John 14:6-7) to know the meaning of the fathers law.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Lol, I wish I had had your problems when I grew up

I also had a phase where I thought there is a purpose in everything no matter how bad it is. But I guess that is just a kind of self-protection mechanism to keep the illusion alive that we need in order to behave civilized and not despair.
Hitler and Stalin were as good as you and me. The only problem is that they have a little more power than the average person. It's immoral to trow all the fault for the world atrocities just on a few person. They had that much power because of us! We and our ancestors are guilty for everything that happened.
Everyone has some "dirty little secret" somewhere in their mind but not everyone has the power to see it happen. Power changes the way people act. (so do the lack of power).

Old 08-29-2010, 02:42 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No some parents are not to be honoured..

Amanda Bates

Grand Junction, Colorado

Died (untreated diabetes)
February 5, 2001
Her parents knew she was sick, and prayed for her. What they didn't know was she was diabetic. They never called for medical assistance until she was already dead. They later pled guilty to negligent child abuse.

Saundra Arnold

Sacramento, California

Died (untreated intenstinal blockage)
Saundra was ill for 18 days with an intestinal blockage before she died. Her mother, a member of the Church of the First Born, was convicted of manslaughter

There are hundreds of cases like this, the most graphic, was a women who cut the arms off of her baby while it was alive...

In November 2004, Ms. Schlosser was arrested after she reported cutting off her 10-month-old daughter's arms with a kitchen knife. She told psychiatrists that God had told her to sever the child's limbs.
They will be judged for it. But that doesn't give their children or others the authority to judge them! Some people have mental problems and there is nothing to do about it. And if they kill their children or do other horrible things... well it's not my or your problem! Someone should put them in some Psychiatric hospital before they had a children!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:18 AM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
They will be judged for it. But that doesn't give their children or others the authority to judge them! Some people have mental problems and there is nothing to do about it. And if they kill their children or do other horrible things... well it's not my or your problem! Someone should put them in some Psychiatric hospital before they had a children!
Judged by whom? Certainly not their children...They are dead. Yes some folks have mental problems, but some are just plain evil....It is our problem as long as we live in society...It is a lot more complicated than you seem to think it is...Many people, particularly mothers develop these mental problems AFTER they have children.

The incidents I list below are common,(There are too many to list) and I doubt if mental illness was the culprit in most of them...How can anyone say that all parents should be honoured after reading these few accounts?

August 16 2010..The bodies of two children were recovered from a car submerged in a South Carolina river this morning and their 29-year-old mother has been arrested, authorities said.

The story immediately brought to mind the 1994 case of Susan Smith, the South Carolina woman who was convicted in the drowning deaths of her two sons, who were found inside her car, which was submerged in a lake. She claimed the children had been kidnapped by a black man who carjacked the vehicle.

May 27 2010...A Texas woman will spend her life in prison after slashing the throats of her children, just weeks before she tried to kill herself in front of them.

Debra Jeter lured her kids into an abandoned house and slit their throats, then listened to one of her kids beg for help while bleeding to death.
Just one day before one of her kids posted on their Facebook page: “I get to see my mom tomorrow! Yay!”

July 22...2010 A woman from Irving, Texas told a 911 operator that she killed her two children because "they were autistic".

April 11...2010 Father kills children, then himself.

July 24...2010 Montreal man kills his two young sons, then commits suicide.

Apr 6 2009 ... A US father killed his five children and then shot himself after learning his wife was leaving him.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
It's the Kantian like concept for defining blood directed choices over and against dialectically directed behavior of will in our sexual preferences. DIALECTIC like the dialect for the racial, social regional, identity as judgment. Of course, I may be exaggerating. At least, the moula may keep ideal mental intentions in check.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Hitler and Stalin were as good as you and me. The only problem is that they have a little more power than the average person. It's immoral to trow all the fault for the world atrocities just on a few person. They had that much power because of us! We and our ancestors are guilty for everything that happened.
Everyone has some "dirty little secret" somewhere in their mind but not everyone has the power to see it happen. Power changes the way people act. (so do the lack of power).
I can't speak for you, but I am certainly a way better person than Hitler or Stalin. I am not saying that their having turned out to be monsters was their fault, or that my being a very good person is my merit, but still, they were how they were and I am how I am, quite different from them.

And no, not everyone thinks of killing people. There are very good people, very bad people and most are in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality