Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times

Advertisements

ptsum,
If your ancestry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
my ancestry
Includes the man who said this:
Quote:
The man who does not do his own thinking is a slave, and is a traitor to himself and to his fellowmen.

Every man should stand under the blue and the stars, under the infinite flag of nature, the peer of every other man.
Then you have a blessed ancestry indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
True? False? Why?
Religions do savage things in the name of a god. Civilizations have made laws which prohibit such savagery such as human/animal sacrifice, stoning, multiple wives, etc.................

Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
As I said, he's a spirit. This letter was done through the transmission of automatic writing as explained below by a spirit Helen writing to her husband James.
Judging from how the letter is written, Ingersoll lost his talent of writing with such eloquence after meeting Christ!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Oh, the threats of punishment again after death. James Randi is NOT "mistaken"; if he were, someone would have won the $1 million challenge by now. No one can prove their nutty assertions under controlled conditions (Uri Geller comes to mind). They are all frauds. There is no "other side". There may be no "real psychics", but there are some real psychotics!

I thought spiritualism went out after the early 20th century. Don't many Christians regard all that nonsense as 'black magic' and occult, perhaps even 'satanic'?
As a matter of fact, after I heard about this dude on this forum, I sent him an email and told him about my spirit photo, which proves the existence of spirits, and asked him if he would like to see it. To my complete surprise, he emailed me a response and said, "No, there is no such thing."

So this is how he avoids paying his $1 million. As far as I'm concerned, he owes me.

As far as spiritualism being "out," it's never been out, as a matter of fact, there is more awareness about it now than there has been for a long time. And there's a good reason for that.

The fact that Robert G. Ingersoll, after spending some years on the other side, found the real truth... this alone should make all of his followers happy, instead of outraged.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I think you are doing Robert Ingersoll a great disservice by associating him with such nonsense. It amazes me that anyone takes it seriously.

James Randi has likely been deluged with doctored or blurry photos which 'prove' the existence of spirits.

There is more awareness now that the 'spirit world' is a chimera. I know no one personally who has even the slightest degree of belief in it. But I don't associate with New-Agey or credulous people. If there were anything verifiable about it, it would be all over the national news.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Judging from how the letter is written, Ingersoll lost his talent of writing with such eloquence after meeting Christ!
On the contrary, what he says here is very eloquent:

Quote:
Robert Ingersoll:

I now see, though, that there is a future life and that men who would enjoy the greatest happiness in this future life must not only have this love and kindness for one another, but must also seek the Love of God, and believe that God is a Father of Love and believe that He is interested in the soul of each individual man.

Celestial Vision Productions

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
On the contrary, what he says here is very eloquent:
Not his words I'm afraid, and I agree that making this stuff up is very disrespectful.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I think you are doing Robert Ingersoll a great disservice by associating him with such nonsense. It amazes me that anyone takes it seriously.
Well, at least he had an open mind and eventually experienced an epiphany:

Quote:
Robert Ingersoll:

Well, as to the last statement, you are right. I have an open mind and am willing to learn any truth that may be presented to me in such a way as to convince me that it is a truth. You are stating things of which I have no knowledge, and which I do not believe to be true. I have thought a great deal of God and believe in a God, but as to this Divine Love, I have never heard of it nor ever thought of it.

I know of no love but the love for man, and that means spirit for spirit, and a certain love of God for man. But as to a Love that makes one partake of divinity, I have never heard. And as to the New Birth that you speak of, I don't believe in it any more than I did on earth. To me it seems foolishness. What is there about me or any other spirit to be born again? You might probably say that when I left my body and became a spirit I was born again, and in a sense that is true, but when you tell me that I must be born again and that by such birth I will become a partaker of divinity, I cannot believe what you say or understand what you mean.

Celestial Vision Productions
I don't think the national news cares about God, frankly. If they did, we would see stories about all the good that is happening in our society and the world rather than the worst of the worst.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:06 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Oh, the threats of punishment again after death. James Randi is NOT "mistaken"; if he were, someone would have won the $1 million challenge by now. No one can prove their nutty assertions under controlled conditions (Uri Geller comes to mind). They are all frauds. There is no "other side". There may be no "real psychics", but there are some real psychotics!

I thought spiritualism went out after the early 20th century. Don't many Christians regard all that nonsense as 'black magic' and occult, perhaps even 'satanic'?
I think spiritualism is still fairly popular in Latin America, particularly Brazil. I think it's more common in African-originated religions of Latin America and Africa. Some of these are syncretic blend of Christianity with African or indigenous religion.

However it's fairly fringe in mainstream Christianity so far as I know. Some might deem it "evil" and occult. G. K. Chesterton I believe warned against it. I'm not sure he felt it had any actual "power", but he seemed uncertain and felt that even if it didn't it might be psychologically harmful. Either by being an unhealthy obsession with the dead or by exacerbating/feeding one's darker side. I tend to see it more as sad. Possibly a sign a person is not able to deal with the loss of certain loved ones, or sadder still certain celebrities, so concocts things.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think spiritualism is still fairly popular in Latin America, particularly Brazil. I think it's more common in African-originated religions of Latin America and Africa. Some of these are syncretic blend of Christianity with African or indigenous religion.

However it's fairly fringe in mainstream Christianity so far as I know. Some might deem it "evil" and occult. G. K. Chesterton I believe warned against it. I'm not sure he felt it had any actual "power", but he seemed uncertain and felt that even if it didn't it might be psychologically harmful. Either by being an unhealthy obsession with the dead or by exacerbating/feeding one's darker side. I tend to see it more as sad. Possibly a sign a person is not able to deal with the loss of certain loved ones, or sadder still certain celebrities, so concocts things.
Not so sad if you are John Edward....Lots of people make big bucks with this fraud.

Seminars Events and Gallery Groups - Welcome to the official website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality