Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sar2cas0tic View Post
Thanks for your response. This show seems to be in the direction of what I am looking for...something more concrete than the Bible to prove, or attempt to prove, that the goings-on in the Bible are somewhat reputable.
I have never taken the bible as literal and I am not a Christian. I don't have any problem with my religious tradition and viewing the bible as not literal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM

15 posts, read 34,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have never taken the bible as literal and I am not a Christian. I don't have any problem with my religious tradition and viewing the bible as not literal.
I am not a Christian either and do not hold the bible in any regard. I know this is going off on a tangent, but after a recent trip to NoVA to see my parents there was a lot of pressue to "get in the church" and "make God number one if your life." I'm fine with the fact that my family chooses to believe, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it all. I am good just to be good. I don't feel I have to immerse myself in a certain belief to attain this. Basically, this recent experience is the root cause of my posting today.

Sorry for going off topic!!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
One of my reasons for believing there is a god of some sort is because humankind has always believed in some form of deity for as long as there have been humans. The ideas surrounding the deity (s) change but the belief in something bigger than ourselves that guides our destiny has always been there. It's as natural to our species as walking on two legs. Maybe we somehow sense there is more to our existence that we aren't been told about and cannot comprehend. We then try to latch on to it with religions of our own making.

It could be there is something physiological in our brains that makes them work that way, but from an evolutionary standpoint it seems illogical to devote time, effort and resources to something that isn't there, so you'd think such behavior would have selected against early on in the process. Yet throughout history and even today people all over the world feel they are guided and/or assisted by some sort of divinity in many different ways. Can they all be deluding themselves?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
Quote:
My reason for asking this is because there are many things, History related, that can be backed up and are clearly irrefutable. However, the whole God thing seems to hinge on the Bible which, IMO, is not a credible source. So I am just curious to see if there is anything, besides the Bible, that can "prove" his existence.
The term "prove" is a bit tricky as "Proof" tends to be subjective. However, I can easily explain why belief in the Christian God is both logical and reasonable...albeit, it may take some time.

Quote:
**I am on the fence when it comes to religion and am hoping to find some credible, logical answers here**
I suppose that time will tell as to whether or not you're being real or just trolling.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
The term "prove" is a bit tricky as "Proof" tends to be subjective. However, I can easily explain why belief in the Christian God is both logical and reasonable...albeit, it may take some time.
I've had extensive conversations with you in the past where you have attempted to do this, and I have yet to see anything logical or reasonable about a belief in "the" Christian God. Most concepts in Christianity are illogical and unreasonable, and choosing a belief arbitrarily (e.g. with faith instead of any proof) is illogical and unreasonable as well.

I don't think there's anything you can say to make rational people think that the one thing that earns you eternal punishment is to not have faith in a specific unproven belief, or that we are all worthless because of something our ancestors did but God sacrificed himself to himself to relieve us from the punishment we deserve for being born, or that Jesus is God but talks to God as if he is not and also spends time healing only some people 2000 years ago, then dies and is called everyone's savior even though we still live in a horrifyingly evil world... I could go on..

But feel free to try again.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
But feel free to try again.
I'm very honored to have your permission.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
One of my reasons for believing there is a god of some sort is because humankind has always believed in some form of deity for as long as there have been humans. The ideas surrounding the deity (s) change but the belief in something bigger than ourselves that guides our destiny has always been there. It's as natural to our species as walking on two legs. Maybe we somehow sense there is more to our existence that we aren't been told about and cannot comprehend. We then try to latch on to it with religions of our own making.

It could be there is something physiological in our brains that makes them work that way, but from an evolutionary standpoint it seems illogical to devote time, effort and resources to something that isn't there, so you'd think such behavior would have selected against early on in the process. Yet throughout history and even today people all over the world feel they are guided and/or assisted by some sort of divinity in many different ways. Can they all be deluding themselves?
You think it is counter evolutionary? We are self-aware beings and self-aware about our own mortality. I can think of a lot of positive reasons why we would believe in something that provides answers, comfort and a reduced fear of our own demise even if the entire thing was baloney.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,457 times
Quote:
So I am just curious to see if there is anything, besides the Bible, that can "prove" his existence.
there is the Quran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IruN5...eature=related

Last edited by moonsun; 12-01-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
My reason for asking this is because there are many things, History related, that can be backed up and are clearly irrefutable. However, the whole God thing seems to hinge on the Bible which, IMO, is not a credible source. So I am just curious to see if there is anything, besides the Bible, that can "prove" his existence.

**I am on the fence when it comes to religion and am hoping to find some credible, logical answers here**
I suppose one way would be to quote some other theistic work like the Qur'an or the Guru Granth Sahib or the Avesta. I have a hunch that's not what you're meaning.

There are mathematicians who have tried this. There is a Bayesian argument on the probability of God that apparently was made by Stephen Unwin. Although the equation included some speculation as does the Drake Equation. Unwin used it and got a 67% probability for God, skeptic Michael Shermer got 2% when he used it, and Dawkins was skeptical of the whole idea. (I might be too, but I'm not sure)