Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
It was a 2-sentence reply.
You sure read alot into so few words.
Does it make you feel better about something to continually call someone else's holiday a 'fairy tale'.
No other holiday catches as much static as this one coming up.
Consider the fables of Thanksgiving and Columbus Day, just to name a couple examples.
My calendar calls Dec. 25th 'Christmas". That's what I (and a vast majority of Americans) celebrate on that day.
Drink some egg-nog and relax
And yet you and a not as large of a majority as you think number of Christians ram it down everyone's throats for the entire month, from "Merry Xmas" in passing to religious symbology on government property to threatening Big Box stores with legal action and/or boycotts.

You people want respect and tolerance? Show some!

There are nine religions and cultures that have religious/cultural holidays and observances in December.

If you meet a stranger and you are unsure of their relgiion, Happy Holidays shows just that tolerance Christians demand for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And yet you and a not as large of a majority as you think number of Christians ram it down everyone's throats for the entire month, from "Merry Xmas" in passing to religious symbology on government property to threatening Big Box stores with legal action and/or boycotts.

There are nine religions and cultures that have religious/cultural holidays and observances in December.

If you meet a stranger and you are unsure of their relgiion, Happy Holidays shows just that tolerance Christians demand for themselves.
Thanks for grouping me into a very generalized, yet specific in disdain, subset.
Given the demographics of my area, odds are (except on this forum), I won't offend someone by saying Merry Christmas.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

Beat me to it. To many of the predominate religion think that theirs is the only way and the heck with anyone who differs. When this is pointed out, they cry that they are being attacked. Basically, they have blinders on.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Thanks for grouping me into a very generalized, yet specific in disdain, subset.
Given the demographics of my area, odds are (except on this forum), I won't offend someone by saying Merry Christmas.
You grouped yourself there with your comments and attitude.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If "it's just words", why the vehemence?

I understand that you, and the other posters who've expressed the same sentiment, have a right to say a rote "Merry Christmas" to clients, customers and acquaintances, even knowing it may be annoying or inaccurate. And you're right-- you do.
Some of us were not brought up to believe our right to behave badly supersedes consideration of others or good business practices, but hey-- you go for it. You have every right to push your agenda, after all.
Oh for cryin out loud. I am not "pushing any agenda" when I stated that I would say Merry Christmas louder, I said it with tongue in cheek. I would never do that. I usually do not say anything unless someone says it first that way I am not in danger of annoying anyone. I was accused earlier of not being informed, baloney to that I make it a point to read and inform myself of as many religions, cultures, races etc. as I can. People here are accusing others of "cramming" Christianity down their throat, to those accusers are you not doing the same thing? Think about it.Everyone and I mean everyone is intitled to their own beliefs and in my opinion those beliefs should be respected that is what tolerance is all about. Personally I do not care who invented the holiday, who started it, if it is a winter solice or what, it is simply a time of year when people come together to celebrate a time of giving and reflection. Give it a rest to those of you who cannot stand christanity or any of the so called "fairy tales" that many of us celebrate at this time of year fine, stand back and celebrate in your own way that is your right and privilege. And to those of you that will undoubtley jump on the bandwagon and start bringing up the fact that Christian organizations go to other countries and try to shove Christianity down someones throat, many Christian organizations only try to bring some kind of religious freedom to people that may have not enabled to practice any type of religious experence. I didn't say it was right I just stated a fact. I do not belong to a brick and mortor church for many reasons but I do believe in spirituality and I firmly believe that others be allowed to do the same in their own way I respect that.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Anyone want some cheese with their whine ? What is wrong with you people ???

I'm so sick of hearing, how the "Christians did this and the Atheists did that", or it's "pagan holiday high-jacked by xtians" !!! For-crying-out-loud...who cares...SHUT UP...and enjoy the freakin' season !!!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Oh for cryin out loud. I am not "pushing any agenda" when I stated that I would say Merry Christmas louder, I said it with tongue in cheek. I would never do that. I usually do not say anything unless someone says it first that way I am not in danger of annoying anyone. I was accused earlier of not being informed, baloney to that I make it a point to read and inform myself of as many religions, cultures, races etc. as I can. People here are accusing others of "cramming" Christianity down their throat, to those accusers are you not doing the same thing? Think about it.Everyone and I mean everyone is intitled to their own beliefs and in my opinion those beliefs should be respected that is what tolerance is all about. Personally I do not care who invented the holiday, who started it, if it is a winter solice or what, it is simply a time of year when people come together to celebrate a time of giving and reflection. Give it a rest to those of you who cannot stand christanity or any of the so called "fairy tales" that many of us celebrate at this time of year fine, stand back and celebrate in your own way that is your right and privilege. And to those of you that will undoubtley jump on the bandwagon and start bringing up the fact that Christian organizations go to other countries and try to shove Christianity down someones throat, many Christian organizations only try to bring some kind of religious freedom to people that may have not enabled to practice any type of religious experence. I didn't say it was right I just stated a fact. I do not belong to a brick and mortor church for many reasons but I do believe in spirituality and I firmly believe that others be allowed to do the same in their own way I respect that.

We should know.......This is the "Bible Belt".

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
You grouped yourself there with your comments and attitude.
Can you please show me what comment had a certain attitude to it?
I would be more than happy to retract or rephrase, for I assure you I never meant to insult.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Here's my take. If it's anytime from about a week before Thanksgiving, until December 24th, I think "happy holidays" is appropriate. After all, we celebrate Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year's, Kwanzaa, and probably others I'm forgetting during this time. However, on Dec. 25th, I do wish people a Merry Christmas, because that seems appropriate. I also say "happy new year" on Dec. 31st and Jan. 1st, since that seems appropriate as well.

Actually using common sense seems the best way to go.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
I'm not offended if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me. I'm a Christian and as such I celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus. However, I also recognize that there are some in this country who do not. So I'm also not 'offended' if someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings". I also tend to reserve "Merry Christmas" to December 24th and 25th, because that is when Christmas is. Prior to those dates (and for the week between then and New Years) you would more likely hear me saying "Happy Holidays" if I say anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality