U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,209,559 times
LOL, the author doesn't even understand the meaning of the word "militant".

Not surprising, he was probably home-skooled.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM

"How about [atheists] total disrespect for places of worship:"

"An Italian cathedral will have to be purified after a couple of goth rock fans had sex in a confession box"
====================================

Was this right after or just before one of the priests was sodomizing another little boy in there?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post

"An Italian cathedral will have to be purified after a couple of goth rock fans had sex in a confession box"

Was this right after or just before one of the priests was sodomizing another little boy in there?

I've already gone through this with another poster, and am reluctant to do so with you given that you have already demonstrated that your only purpose here is "baiting," not discussion.

For the benefit of others reading besides yourself, however, I will add in response that if you want to find a "religion" or "belief system" that condones rape/sexual abuse/child abuse as anything other than the most greivous and heinous form of sin, you will have to leave Catholicism and go to the teachings of Aleister Crowley (satanist), Jungian gnosticism, and in some instances, flavours of Atheism.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM

4,529 posts, read 2,977,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
We're constantly buffeted by an endless onslaught of unjustified criticisms of:

The Large Hadron Collider;

The ICROSS moon impact mission;

The MARS Rover Explorer;

Deep Space Hubble Telescope discoveries;

Successful current British biogenesis experiments;

Bacterial speciation proofs;

...with such criticisms generally originating from the Christian side of the room.

Why is that? These are all expensive, well-thought-out programs with very well defined objectives, and with intricate, elaborate, and I might add elegant, methodologies. They seek to honestly increase our knowledge of specific and unique aspects of the universe around us all.

The NASA projects of the past and future have and will continue to serve us in countless ways, and have already led to significant improvements or discoveries that benefit us all.

The LHC may well unearth the predicted Boson-Higgs particle that will potentially fill in the remaining critical gap in our understanding of gravity and the Big Bang. Another brick in the foundation of understanding of how it all may have started out, nanoseconds after the Bang itself, and the origination of the basis for our entire universe.

Those British experiments have nearly succeeded in producing living, reproducing and self-sustaining amino acid complexes, which, in effect, defines life as we know it.

An American scientist documents his 22 year long experiment so well he catches a species evolving into another new species. He's then roundly demonized and the results hand-wavingly dismissed..

Then, we go out a-hunting with advanced robotic spacecraft and we find further evidence of some common and simple events and processes occurring simultaneously across the universe. Like, for instance, the possibility of life and evolution in suitable environments elsewhere. suggesting that we a truly not alone, nor unique, but in fact may be but the outcome of some simple "test-tube like" naturally occurring trials.

And yet, we witness endless critiques that heap hoped-for failure on all of them. Chanting denouncements and "rotified" anti-science slogans. Why?

Oh. Well, given those possibilities, I suppose I DO understand why such discoveries are threatening.

Quite a body blow to the "We Are Arrogantly Unique Godly Creations" theories, yes?

Perhaps I'm just missing something here....
Why? Becasue relgiion is one the way to being a non-issue in the western world, and to keep their theopolitical power in place, they make noise every now and then pretending to be important?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM

13,859 posts, read 12,590,806 times
Quote:

Hardy-har. I'm sure you know like 97-99% of priests don't do anything like that.

Granted these goth rock people in the confessional are maybe not representative of anything, but you could have just said that. Instead you had to go for the most cliche baiting response possible.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM

And Google returns how many hits for the terms catholic sexual abuse?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM

4,529 posts, read 2,977,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I've already gone through this with another poster, and am reluctant to do so with you given that you have already demonstrated that your only purpose here is "baiting," not discussion.

For the benefit of others reading besides yourself, however, I will add in response that if you want to find a "religion" or "belief system" that condones rape/sexual abuse/child abuse as anything other than the most greivous and heinous form of sin, you will have to leave Catholicism and go to the teachings of Aleister Crowley (satanist), Jungian gnosticism, and in some instances, flavours of Atheism.
My, how singularly uninformed.

You would, of course, have links to justify your statements that Crowley, Jungian gnostisim, and in some instances, "flavours (whatever the hell that means) of Atheism" promote, endorse, and/or support the rape and abuse?

Last time I checked, Crowley endorses no such thing, "Jungian gnostism" isn't exactly a widespread philosophy nor does it condone rape/abuse, and no "flavour" of Atheist condons rape/abuse nor are there even recognized "flavours" of Atheism.

So far it appears to me that you speak from the wrong orifice.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
And Google returns 1,800,000 hits for the terms "catholic sexual abuse".
Do you have any formal education beyond high school, Tantalust?

What percentage of child abusers are Catholic?

Of that subset, how many are priests?

What percentage of child abusers are high-school or primary school teachers?

What percentage are Southern Baptists?

What percentage are Amish?

What percentage are Orthodox Rabbis?

What percentage are Reform Rabbis?

What percentage follow some form of Hinduism?

What percentage of any description are parents or steparents abusing their own children?

What percentage are foster parents abusing the foster children to whom they have been enstrusted?

Once you have those breakdowns, then tell me, proportionally speaking, do Catholic priests abuse children disproportionately to other groups?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hardy-har. I'm sure you know like 97-99% of priests don't do anything like that.
Obviously not taking into account the terrified children who were threatened that they'd burn in hell if they told anyone.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
My, how singularly uninformed.

You would, of course, have links to justify your statements that Crowley, Jungian gnostisim, and in some instances, "flavours (whatever the hell that means) of Atheism" promote, endorse, and/or support the rape and abuse?

Last time I checked, Crowley endorses no such thing, "Jungian gnostism" isn't exactly a widespread philosophy nor does it condone rape/abuse, and no "flavour" of Atheist condons rape/abuse nor are there even recognized "flavours" of Atheism.

So far it appears to me that you speak from the wrong orifice.
Perhaps YOU should provide links for all your assertions. Or is it a case of "do as I say, not as I do?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality