Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,230,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
How can Christians/Religious people be against abortion because it is murder to them but support Capital Punishment(The Death Penalty) when that's obviously murder too. God supposedly tells us not to judge. Who are we, fallable humans who make many mistakes, to feel that it is okay to take any life? Isn't a life, a life? How can one as a religious person, celebrate life, be opposed to abortion because it destroys life, and then turn around and TAKE life through Capital Punishment? Doesn't this seem conflicted at best, hypocritical at worst? This blatant dichotomy has never made sense to me.
There is not a moral equivalence between infanticide and the execution of a killer. Apples and oranges. The sanctity is not in "life" per se and Christians do not worship "life" unconditionally.

God tells us a lot of things about judging. He also distinguishes between individuals and governmental bodies.

The Bible teaches that the king bears the sword of judgement. Government is established by God to maintain civil order, and it is not given to the individual to be a vigilante. Human government is a presently imperfect solution to a presently imperfect world. Ultimately, all things will be weighed and judged by God. God has the sole power to resurrect the dead and give them eternal life or eternal death.

All this being said, I think the issue is very much a gray area. Societies that set up governments opposed to capital punishment are just as "correct" as societies that do the opposite. Christians do not condemn countries with a death penalty or without one. It is a governmental decision. The established government is the final authority, under the word of God, be it whatever sort of government it is. And when that government no longer suits God's purpose and becomes unjust or evil, it is replaced as God sees fit. What Christians are ALWAYS called to do is to obey the law and to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 PM

33,518 posts, read 37,111,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Wow, how original.

What crimes do babies commit in order to merit summary execution while still in the womb?
At what point do you think an embryo becomes a baby?

Quote:
I don't suppose that it ever occurred to you that God first imposed the death penalty in order to stress the sanctity of life - did it?
Man imposes the death penalty, not god.

Quote:
God gives the power of the sword to the state - this includes committing forces to war and the institution of the death penalty.
God does no such thing...The people give the power to the state.

Quote:
Babies in the womb don't even merit a trial...and then people like you turn around and accuse Christians of hypocrisy.
The law defines a baby alive after it takes it's first breath...

Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,399,071 times
I always get a kick out of people stating that god cares so much about the unborn yet the OT has examples of god 'murdering' the unborn because he was ticked off about something or other. I personally am pro choice and pro execution.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,393,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
But aren't you one of the Christians who believe even babies are sinners? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Yeah--babies are sinners unless they accept Jesus--whatever THAT means...

Christians call it original sin. ..even the US constitution was enlightened enough to not punish children for their ancestors' deeds. Unfortunately, the Christian god is not nearly that smart.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Wow, how original.

What crimes do babies commit in order to merit summary execution while still in the womb?

I don't suppose that it ever occurred to you that God first imposed the death penalty in order to stress the sanctity of life - did it?

God gives the power of the sword to the state - this includes committing forces to war and the institution of the death penalty.

Babies in the womb don't even merit a trial...and then people like you turn around and accuse Christians of hypocrisy.
Wow, this post seems so angry. I felt this was a legitimate question. I always hear on here how ppl who are pro-choice are only sugar-coating the term because pro-choice is actually murder. Well, isn't it sugar coating murder by calling it"justice"? Many innocent ppl sit on death rows, isn't that tantamount to the murder of innocents? Until 2006, we were the only Western democracy to levy the death penalty to minors. So we were putting children on death row. My point is that ppl are fallable, we are NOT God so it's not appropriate for us to decide who lives and who dies, this is murder. How can anyone be against abortion because they see it as murder and then think it's okay to go out and actually commit murder in the name of the human construct of "justice"? Another thing, there's no doubt that when a state executes someone, they have murdered someone but since no one can truly determine when life begins, we can't say with absolute authority that abortion is murder.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 AM

142 posts, read 249,502 times
I'm confused. Surely we aren't trying to say that all Christians/Religious people support Capital Punishment(Murder) right? And if so what/who was the source of this information?

Old 12-05-2009, 03:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,540,481 times
There are certain cases where actions, even fatal ones, are necessary for self-defense. If the person is a continuing threat to others or inspires violence than it might be a defensive act to execute. If pregnancy places a woman's life in danger than it might be a defensive act to abort. Or at least the matter is arguable and banning abortion in cases of mortal danger is probably not plausible.

However the fact of the matter is abortion is far more significant in magnitude. Since 1976 there have been 1186 executions. In 2003 alone there were over 36,000 abortions that occurred after the 16th week of pregnancy.

Number of Executions by State and Region Since 1976 | Death Penalty Information Center
Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2003

Anyway there are Christians who oppose both abortion and capital punishment. I only support a fairly limited use of capital punishment and think some guilty people placed on death row have not committed crimes that justify the death penalty. Here's a site for the Consistent Life Ethic.

http://www.consistent-life.org/

Groups who are counted as members of the "Consistent Life Ethic" include the Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati, Evangelicals for Social Action, the Pro-Life Quakers, The Orthodox Peace Fellowship of the Protection of the Mother of God, and Sojourners.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
its easy that 7 month old kid you just slipped in a glad bag and flipped in the trash didnt rape anybody. its called justice and fairness.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:18 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,558,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I always get a kick out of people stating that god cares so much about the unborn yet the OT has examples of god 'murdering' the unborn because he was ticked off about something or other. I personally am pro choice and pro execution.
Christians have never had any reservation about killing as long as it helps their agenda. Look at the crusades. What...half a million there? Look at the execution of more than 100,000 innocent "Witches." Look at the way they have turned their heads while slavemasters boiled or hung innocent Blacks for simply speaking to a White woman. Two requirements for initiation into the KKK...White and Christian.

Look at how the middle easterners see Christians now. After Bush decided to go after Saddam Hussein's cache of weapons of mass destruction and the suicide bombings began 2,000,000 Iraqis left their homes and fled to Syria and Jordon. There had never been a suicide bombing in the history of Iraq. Conservative estimates are that more than 150,000 innocents have been killed as collateral's in that mess. Since George W. Bush is a Christian and since he said God told him to invade Iraq I suppose that qualifies the action.

I support pro choice and am closer to supporting the death penalty for especially hateful mirder. I used to oppose any punishment of death because of the innocents being caught up in it. The advent of DNA evidence has reduced that possbility tremendously.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:20 AM

37,437 posts, read 61,329,236 times
Within the 'religion' there are many smaller sects or variations among beleifs.

Not ALL Christians agree that capital punishment is good.

Not all Christians agree on abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.