Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,718,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm in. I think that morality is better explained as human behaviour, part evolved instinct, part tradition and part reasoned. It does not stack up as a God - implanted moral compass.
...just people...perfect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,576,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
...just people...perfect...
Indeed, or perhaps just people...imperfect.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: tidy -up.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Indeed, or perhaps just people...imperfect.
Yes indeed.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,232,992 times
I would have to address this MORAL CODE?
What is best for Life as a HUMAN?...for we are talking about Human existance, not culture!

Air
Water
Food
and spiritual milk.
In the reality called Earth..a Planet in a system, within a system, with in a unknown system...

How should we behave?

According to Scripture God seems to want us to follow 11 commandments, and one instruction out of the Genesis which has ties to the planets welfare, the wild lifes welfare, and human welfare in check....Till the soils, Sow the seeds, and care for the life Given....
A simple message of some regards as being honestly truthful...if we do it sinlessly, this God will provide abundantly...and reside over the lands...and protect the life with in the sanctity of the sinlessness!

So...what would be best to honour...in a moral sense of the word?

Keep the Air clean!
Keep the waters pure!
Sow Good seed, and till in the compost to the soils...do it sinlessly...
And everything else comes into play!....Share...and spread that Moral code not only onto human estates, but all life....Then they help us, and we help God...ah ha The Kingdom...on Earth...Sharing and caring for all life....and keeping it ....
Here is where God helps us...by us keeping things clean and in good care...he can then take the good we help...and take that to a new place to make more places from our handyworks.

He may even take one or more of us...to be helpers in the new places...

Moral code?
Human code?

God's Code....it is the best solution for all life...a selfless code for God is a God of life...

Now some will say there is not god, and hence there is no code...
And we now have polluted Air, Water, and soils...along with tainted foods, making us sick..so we pay more and more to live in a system which denies the code, and the God, and the commandments, covenants, and prescepts of a way of life...that has the best code...and all the people in the system support or work for the demigod told not to make of engraven estates...

Yep polluting and destroying the Earth...for MONEY!

And We can see that very clearly through the smog!

Morality?
Code of conduct?

Yah...right!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
I would have to address this MORAL CODE?
What is best for Life as a HUMAN?...for we are talking about Human existance, not culture!

Air
Water
Food
and spiritual milk.
In the reality called Earth..a Planet in a system, within a system, with in a unknown system...

How should we behave?

According to Scripture God seems to want us to follow 11 commandments, and one instruction out of the Genesis which has ties to the planets welfare, the wild lifes welfare, and human welfare in check....Till the soils, Sow the seeds, and care for the life Given....
A simple message of some regards as being honestly truthful...if we do it sinlessly, this God will provide abundantly...and reside over the lands...and protect the life with in the sanctity of the sinlessness!

So...what would be best to honour...in a moral sense of the word?

Keep the Air clean!
Keep the waters pure!
Sow Good seed, and till in the compost to the soils...do it sinlessly...
And everything else comes into play!....Share...and spread that Moral code not only onto human estates, but all life....Then they help us, and we help God...ah ha The Kingdom...on Earth...Sharing and caring for all life....and keeping it ....
Here is where God helps us...by us keeping things clean and in good care...he can then take the good we help...and take that to a new place to make more places from our handyworks.

He may even take one or more of us...to be helpers in the new places...

Moral code?
Human code?

God's Code....it is the best solution for all life...a selfless code for God is a God of life...

Now some will say there is not god, and hence there is no code...
And we now have polluted Air, Water, and soils...along with tainted foods, making us sick..so we pay more and more to live in a system which denies the code, and the God, and the commandments, covenants, and prescepts of a way of life...that has the best code...and all the people in the system support or work for the demigod told not to make of engraven estates...

Yep polluting and destroying the Earth...for MONEY!

And We can see that very clearly through the smog!

Morality?
Code of conduct?

Yah...right!
I really enjoy commentary that seems well thought out and has a logic that lends itself to a cohesive point. And this is even if I don't necessarily feel the same or draw the same conclusion(s). I think this was well written (thought provoking) with some passion included. That being said, I have a few questions...

Is the industrial complex / technolgical world we live in an extension / representation of a lack of morality? Were we supposed to stay simple, earnest farmers at this point in time? Is this pollution / global warming a divine issue or merely a natural one, if there is any difference between the two?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,320,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Maybe this is hell.
I wouldn't really say that this is hell... I've been having a great time this last couple weeks.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,576,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I wouldn't really say that this is hell... I've been having a great time this last couple weeks.
Yes. If hell is no worse than this, I can live with it.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I don't know the origins of morals but I do know that it is NOT from the bible. Contrary to popular beliefs.
I couldn't disagree more. I think that all western societies derive their most fundamental moral precepts from the Bible. I just don't believe that the Bible is the word of a god.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,320,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I think that all western societies derive their most fundamental moral precepts from the Bible. I just don't believe that the Bible is the word of a god.
I do think that a lot of western morals do come from the bible to an extent. But things like the last 7 of the 10 commandments are pretty much cultural universals. People like to give the bible credit for these morals, but really many (if not most) of these morals are things that people adhere to anyhow.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM

22 posts, read 21,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I'm gonna bump this up a bit.

I still haven't found much of an answer to my last question. I was hoping that I could hear from the religious crowd.

I'll try a shorter post this time as I assume that is the reason for the lack of input here. So those of you in the religious crowd: Given the sway away from many moral standards of biblical times... Have the moral changes to society since biblical times benefited us or have they taken us closer to hell?
Hi cleatis. I thought I would ring in a response although the thread is a few months old.

You wrote, " The very fact that long standing civilizations have such different moral codes is evidence that morals are a man made thing."

This is incorrect. The only thing this proves is that different civilizations have different moral codes or what they generally think is right or wrong. What they believe and practice does not automatically make it moral.

Morality either comes from God or man. If it comes from man, then each individual determines for himself what is right or wrong. Which in turn means there is no standard for right or wrong.

Let's use homosexuality as an example here. 100 years ago, this behavior was considered an abomination in the U.S. Now it is tolerated to a wide degree. Now, is homosexuality right because man says it is? Or is there an external law (God) that would prohibit it regardless of what man says?

If not, then why not accept adultery, incest or pedophilia as acceptable sexual behavior -- if man says it is right for them?

You wrote: "We all know that we shouldn't kill, rape or steal. In fact if these things went unchecked, communities and societies would collapse." I assume you are aware that there are people who believe it is a good thing for certain societies to "collapse" (I.e. -- nihilists, Nazis and Klan members). Yet you imply that this would be a bad thing. But the people in the aforementioned examples would say otherwise. Where do they derive their authority from? If man determines right from wrong, how can you make a rational argument against such "immoral" behaviors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality