Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 AM

713 posts, read 1,957,305 times

Advertisements

Brian "Head" Welch goes from a life of drugs, sex and money... to quitting the band Korn, quitting drugs, quitting drinking, living a moral life and did a complete 180 based on the Bible.

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDM94jnztQ&feature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:06 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
A complete 180: Famous evangelical preacher to agnostic.

"When finally I shook free of Christianity, it was like being born again. I began to see all of life differently. The things that had once seemed important now seemed trivial. And things I'd never seen the meaning of or the essence of I began to appreciate for the first time."
-Charles Templeton

....so what is your point?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Take a wild guess what his/her point is!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
A complete 180: Famous evangelical preacher to agnostic.

"When finally I shook free of Christianity, it was like being born again. I began to see all of life differently. The things that had once seemed important now seemed trivial. And things I'd never seen the meaning of or the essence of I began to appreciate for the first time."
-Charles Templeton

....so what is your point?

Charles Templeton never had a true relationship with Christ. He had a false relationship with religion.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
My question is, why is Rock 180 degrees from religion?

I know lots of rock artists who are religious. Lots of religious followers listen to rock music, so whats the problem?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My question is, why is Rock 180 degrees from religion?

I know lots of rock artists who are religious. Lots of religious followers listen to rock music, so whats the problem?

I was just trying to create a catchy title : )

The problem was "head" was in a rock band (Korn) that was bringing him down spiritually. His life was in ruins until he gave it ALL up.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
I was just trying to create a catchy title : )

The problem was "head" was in a rock band (Korn) that was bringing him down spiritually. His life was in ruins until he gave it ALL up.
The lives that rock-stars live are much different than those of ordinary individuals. Most of the time, the lives of celebrities are in ruins. the fact that they tend to use a lot of drugs doesn't help their situation either. So getting off the drugs and removing himself from the rocker lifestyle is going to do quite a bit of good for quality of life.

And lastly, this is the nature of bands. There is always a problem member, or one that doesn't fit in with the others. These guys made a band when they were still picking zits and they all grew up and took different paths as individuals.

All in all, what works for one person isn't going to be the solve all for everyone. There are very few of us on here (if any) that could relate or identify with the life and situation of this man.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM

27 posts, read 37,448 times
all he did was trade one addiction for another. i see it all the time, person goes from drugs and finds god and follows it fanaticly, untill the drugs call them back.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUETZALCOATL View Post
all he did was trade one addiction for another. i see it all the time, person goes from drugs and finds god and follows it fanaticly, untill the drugs call them back.
Indeed! That's a lot like what I was thinking. There are people who have a religion, and then there are those who get addicted to it. The ones who are the most frantic about their religion I think fall into the addicted category.

And yes, this guy has been clean and sober for a few years now, I'm curious to see how long this lasts. And just like with the drugs, I wonder how much he has to bend his life to satisfy his newfound religion. I'm sure it all costs about the same too!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Charles Templeton never had a true relationship with Christ. He had a false relationship with religion.
Did you have a microscope in his head?

Granted I don't believe in the "once saved always saved doctrine" so it's easier for me to accept that people can go from Christian to agnostic or agnostic to Christian. (Yes weirdly enough I've seen atheist/agnostics who basically have a "once liberated, always liberated" philosophy. If you mention well-attested cases of atheists who became Jewish or Christian they'll just insist they were never "a real atheist." I created http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._and_agnostics with the intent all names be thoroughly sourced, but it's nevertheless been blanked a few times by some snotty atheist insisting "no such person can exist!" or "It's ridiculous we're all born atheist!") I don't know whether Templeton had a true relationship or not, but I know that he occasionally expressed sadness about not being able to believe in Christ anymore. I think he felt it was "worth it" but he did feel a loss. That would seem to indicate he may have had something.

Anyway I'm glad for this guy in Korn. I hope his life is good and well from now on. I'm not going to poo-poo him if he's becoming a better person even if it turns out it's a denomination I disagree with in strong terms. Although I think a person can say that "good for him" without joining his church or even any church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality