Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
We're still looking for a few more good bishops.
If you start paying them, you will have better retention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you start paying them, you will have better retention.
Unlike other churches with a paid professional clergy, every worthy LDS male 12 years of age and up has the Aaronic or Melchizekek Priesthood conferred upon him and is ordained to an office in that priesthood. All serve voluntarily, none receive a salary for their service.

To serve others without financial remuneration and be awash in God's Holy Spirit is incredibly rewarding!

By the way, there's nothing wrong with the "retention" rate of LDS bishops. They usually voluntarily serve for about five years as the leader of a local congregation of about 300 to 500 members, somewhat similar to a Catholic priest's responsibilities.

Last edited by justamere10; 12-07-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
This is why I'm catholic. I feel that all other forms of christianity are erroneous and unoriginal. As some have teachings that are just downright false such as speaking in tongues, the use of oils, dancing (which is downright pagan), or worse yet snake handling ( God forgive those snake handling fools). I once went to a pentacostal church and was sickened by what I saw the pastor was screaming and yelling nonsense, the people where shaking and speaking in tongues as though they where possed by satan himself. The pastor called me up and asked "do you belive that jesus christ is lord and savior?" "yes!" I replied he then blew on me and I fell like brick. I can say one thing that was NOT jesus as my lord would never push me to the ground. You fools return to the root religion and stop being taken for idiots as god does not need a % of your income your pastor does so he can finish paying for his BMW. in a catholic church you will serve none but the true god and not satan in disguise.
I do believe that this little bit of information will contradict your statement about Catholicism being the oldest form of Christianity:

What's The Oldest Sect Of The Christian Religion? (tradition, hell, women) - C,

Syrian Malabar Nasrani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2009, 02:08 PM

179 posts, read 295,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I do believe that this little bit of information will contradict your statement about Catholicism being the oldest form of Christianity:

What's The Oldest Sect Of The Christian Religion? (tradition, hell, women) - C,

Syrian Malabar Nasrani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Umm no it doesn't prove a thing furthermore you should google "what is the oldest form of christianity still practiced today".

Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Umm no it doesn't prove a thing furthermore you should google "what is the oldest form of christianity still practiced today".

You know,if you took the time to read the links that were posted,you would find that this particular part of Christianity it's still being practiced since its beginnings with St. Thomas in 52AD.I think you'll find that your Catholicism didn't start until after Constantine called for the Council of Nicaea in 325AD.Seems to be a little discrepancy of a few hundred years there. You know just because Catholicism says that it's the oldest Christianity doesn't necessarily make it true. Sometimes history says differently.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
The Roman Catholics are only the 'oldest' when compared to the newer flavors.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The Roman Catholics are only the 'oldest' when compared to the newer flavors.

But the oldest nonetheless...

Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
But the oldest nonetheless...
In what universe?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM

163 posts, read 215,356 times
You'd know if you study history that the coptic orthodox church is older than the papal church of Rome.
There has always been down through history a remnant of people who have held to the precious faith of the apostles but never got caught up in the church of Rome.
They didn't have any particular "denominational name or structure" but the true apostolic and evangelical faith goes back much farther than the church of Rome.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In what universe?

I'm sorry is this a physics question? before this becomes an argument lets just agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality