Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,577,779 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this question because of a recent post I did and it got me to thinking about how God supposedly deals with sinners. In our justice system we have a punishment or sentence that is based on the crime that's been committed. A parking ticket gets a small fine, a drunk driver will get a much larger fine and possibly a little jail time, an armed robber will likely get a few years in prison and a murderer will possibly get a life sentence or even the death penalty in some cases. Ok, that all makes sense to me, the punishment fits the crime. However the Bible only describes two possible outcomes for my life, heaven or hell. As an atheist I've been told that I'll be getting a one way ticket to the lake of fire to suffer for eternity. My crime? I simply don't think that God exists. I'll be getting the exact punishment that Stalin and Hitler will get even though I've never hurt anyone in my life and I've tried to be a decent human being. Now we've all been told what a loving and merciful God we have and how he values each and every one of us and yet the Bible says I'll suffer more torment than the most depraved human being has ever inflicted on another human being. What kind of a God would do that and does this belief even make any sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,128,958 times
No I don't think it makes any sense at all and that is why I do not believe that.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,083,090 times
At the moment I have no scripture to back it up, but I believe there are degrees of hell. My reasoning? There will be rewards in heaven...obviously some will have more rewards than others--1 Cor. 3: 9-15. So why not the opposite? More punishment based on wickedness sounds right to me.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,217,091 times
Yeah, I never understood that concept either. How a murderer goes to hell and so will I, an agnostic, god-fearing, decent human being. Go figure. I guess being spirtual just ain't enough.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,423,787 times
I think we will all be the same in heaven, alive in spirit form..Hell is dead in the grave, turned to dust, cut off from God and eternal life. I think that on the day of judgement there will be no felonies or misdemeaners or 1st, second place or third place awards. Same with hell, no first, second or third degree burns, just death! (gospel as understood by blue)

Old 05-17-2007, 07:29 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,214,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
At the moment I have no scripture to back it up, but I believe there are degrees of hell. My reasoning? There will be rewards in heaven...obviously some will have more rewards than others--1 Cor. 3: 9-15. So why not the opposite? More punishment based on wickedness sounds right to me.
Doesn't Jesus say, was it Jerusalem,? or Capenaum that it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrhah than for them on that day (implying judgment day). Sorry, I 'm not sure I've got my cities straight. I really should look these things up before I post. But it implies degrees of punishment. There are other scriptures which do too, but I would have to research that to pull them out.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,577,779 times
blue62 wrote:
Quote:
Hell is dead in the grave, turned to dust, cut off from God and eternal life.
The only problem is that the Bible goes into great detail about the torments of the sinners and it's vividly described all through the Bible. I've never read anything in the Bible that would suggest something like probation or a visit with a counselor. It really sounds like it's one extreme or the other.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:38 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,077,965 times
Hi Montana Guy,
For you to wonder about all that hype about God's punishing you for non- belief, no wonder you resist believing in HIM. I believe God is an all-loving entity, who has His own justice system, which I cannot begin to clarify to you...rather I think (given your life experiences) it makes perfect sense that you are not believing in God at this point, and He understands that. When an athiest, who is a good person otherwise, dies, I believe that he goes to the joy of heaven also. I don't believe God would send a good person to hell for non-belief, rather he would hold you in His arms and forgive you your doubt, proving his all-loving nature. Obviously I'm not a "literal" Bible interpreter, but a very faithful believer in an all-loving and merciful God. Praying for your peace of mind.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,214,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
blue62 wrote:

The only problem is that the Bible goes into great detail about the torments of the sinners and it's vividly described all through the Bible. I've never read anything in the Bible that would suggest something like probation or a visit with a counselor. It really sounds like it's one extreme or the other.
You're funny, Mg!

You won't accept this as an "answer" but I think you should accept Christ and let hell be God's problem ...and not your problem.

Last edited by kaykay; 05-17-2007 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 08:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,083,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Doesn't Jesus say, was it Jerusalem,? or Capenaum that it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrhah than for them on that day (implying judgment day). Sorry, I 'm not sure I've got my cities straight. I really should look these things up before I post. But it implies degrees of punishment. There are other scriptures which do too, but I would have to research that to pull them out.
Yes, Jesus was talking to the apostles to send them out and told them to stay at homes. And if any house did not receive them, he said depart, shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them. Then, "Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!"

So...does that mean entire cities will be punished as well? Maybe governments? Leads to many questions.

PS: The scripture is taken from Mark 6:10 -11

Last edited by FL_TN_Nana; 05-17-2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality