Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And thanks for making my point for me noland.

Charity ceases to be such when ulterior motives are introduced.
So we should forget Christian charities altogether and let millions more suffer that makes a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
So we should forget Christian charities altogether and let millions more suffer that makes a lot of sense.
Howe about charity actually becomes charity again and yet millions more can be fed instead of donated monies being used to buy bibles and religious liturature?

There are plenty of secualr charities out there who actually spend the money on food, clothing, education, and infrastructure.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Howe about charity actually becomes charity again and yet millions more can be fed instead of donated monies being used to buy bibles and religious liturature?

There are plenty of secualr charities out there who actually spend the money on food, clothing, education, and infrastructure.
What is wrong with buying Bibles?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
In my personal opinion, conversion has no place in charity.

"Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruit you will know them." Matthew 7:19-20.

If you live your faith, then those who are already inclined will be drawn to you by the your unspoken word and the charity of you spirit. Help your fellow human beings because you can, not because it provides an opportunity for conversion.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:36 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
We've managed to gather and purchase enough items for 213 children...the entire Oglala school plus a few. We're off to the reservation this morning.

Thank you everybody for your input and observations.

Until Sunday evening.....

Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
well. I think that a church can do many good things to bring in the people.
You can offer a class to children, you can have a concert, you can do a food drive, all things that are part of the outreach to the town.
They all can serve to bring people in the door.
They are fine as long as they are not so much workthat they take away from the true message of the church about the need to believe in Jesus.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What is wrong with buying Bibles?
Nothing, if they are purchased with one's own money for one's personal use. Buying Bibles with "charity" money is a total waste of resources and not charitable at all. Not to mention the height of arrogance.

How would you feel if I started a food charity and then proceeded to spend half of the donated funds on copies of The Lord of The Rings to distribute to the hungry masses? Wouldn't make much sense would it?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:48 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
One of the reasons that I found myself distancing myself from the Christian church in my 20s (before my college education) was because of the degree of hypocrisy I saw in the church itself, particularly those at the higher end of the hierarchy, i.e.; pastors, elders, etc.

During the last 4 weeks, I have been leading a university and community wide new toy and new clothing drive for the children of the Lakota reservations, which is, according the the U.S. Census Bureau, the poorest area in the entire United States of America. With 300 times the national average infant death rate, 150 times the national average teenage suicide rate, and 97% of its people living at or below the national poverty level, compassion dictates that these children deserve to know that they are not forgotten during the holiday season (I am involved in charitable works on the reservation during the rest of the year, but felt that this would be a good way to reach out to the Lakota children during a season in which they generally do without).

I and the student organization that I lead have reached out to our community and our students, who have responded wonderfully to our requests for items and financial donations.

Strangely enough, the most resistance we have come up against has been from the Christian churches we have approached. (After being turned down quite nastily by six of them, our volunteers refused to ask any more churches for assistance). Excuses ranged from:

I won't lie to my congregation. (What???? We never could get this particular pastor to divulge exactly where he felt the falsehoods lie.) to the government gives all kinds of money to "those Indians." (If this were true, do you think they'd be forced to try to live on less than $3,000 a year per household?) to these people are not in our community and we owe them nothing.(You're a Christian. The WORLD is your community).

Each time the volunteer tried to explain that these children have no national toy drive ensuring a happy holiday season for them, they were shot down by the elders/pastors involved.

According to the New Testament, Jesus said, "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me." (Matthew 25:40). So, are the Native Americans NOT your brethren?

Once again, I'm having a difficult time reconciling that which Christians speak as truth with their actions when confronted with the opportunity to live what they preach. Native Americans have been marginalized and minimalized in this country, most often by those who consider themselves to be "good Christian folk."

Perhaps one of you would care to explain to me why this sort of uncharitable behavior is okay, especially around a time of year when you all seem wont to promote peace on Earth and goodwill toward men...or is that only SOME men?
Great post. One of the many reasons why I left Buddhism is because they don't believe in charitable works. I think what you are doing is wondeful. Most Christians give because Christ said that you had to give in order to be rewarded. While I am glad that Christians do give to an extend, the reason for giving is wrong.

You must remember that Christians believed in slavery, and it is taught in the Bible, so add to that the fact that Indians also became slaves. The only group at the time that helped the Indians and the Africans were the Quakers.
Considering any group of people to be low on the ladder contributes to not giving to those in need.

In the beginning, "Love Thy Neighbor" meant only those within your tribe, your group, and not those outside. And so followers of God easily destroyed entire villages. You must also remember that it was the Christians that rounded up the Indians and took them on their "trail of tears" smashing their babies against trees when they cried, something condoned in the Bible, and killing those through starvation, disease, and the cold. Don't expect that Christians have now changed. They haven't.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Nothing, if they are purchased with one's own money for one's personal use. Buying Bibles with "charity" money is a total waste of resources and not charitable at all. Not to mention the height of arrogance.
Not for a church....
The duty of the church is to use any monies gathered to spread the word...
I dont really have anything against a church doing a food drive, I dont have anything against feeding people.
I just think that it's a bit pointless and really does not help people all that much in the long run

I remember that Jesus feed people and what was it a day later, that they all walked away from him?

So feeding people is not all that useful as it seems.

I also have nothing against giving gifts to kids.
But I would not try to pretend to myself that just because I gave a kid a Teddy Bear that I made the world a better place.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
The only group at the time that helped the Indians and the Africans were the Quakers.
Not true at all..
Christians gave their blood to free the slaves.
My own family has members who fell at Gettysburg with the Minnesota people.

So the fact is that slavery was seen as a sin by Christians from the beginning in America...even as we set up this country there was a great debate between he free and slave states...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality