Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:31 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
You are speaking to someone who practices Shamanic teachings, including fasting.

In no way, shape, or form does voluntary fasting even approach the type of starvation destitute people face.

When we fast, we know there will be a time when out next meal with be. The destitute do not have that luxery, nor are they looking for spiritual enlightenment.
Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Mother Teresa has been a constant thorn in the flesh of hardcore/extremist hindu nationalists (RSS, VHP etc.,) back home, because she is the shining beacon of Christianity and a magnet to cross-religious attention. She was more popular than the Pope or anyone else, in that part of the world. Irrespective of their religious affiliations, people in a crowd either knelt or bowed their heads, as she passed. She was a living Saint.

The factions dedicated one decade of hard work to blunt her service, her Catholicism and circle around baseless allegations of her eventual denunciation of Christianity. Some even insinuate she became atheist towards the end, taking her frustrations out of context and her moments of frailty where she, like every human, got riled up over the vagaries of the Vatican and the ridiculous amount of suffering she saw around her.

This is music to people's ears. Them who have a common ground of hating/despising/loathing Christianity. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. It's basic.

Sorry, rifleman

Old 12-12-2009, 01:14 PM

And, if I may add, this is the bizarre and irresponsible attitude I find in people in this thread, the SAME which I saw in my countrymen back home, since a kid.

The same dagger they used on Mother Teresa.

There are people rotting in Indian slums. Fine.

There are kids sold into prostitution. Fine.

There are lepers dying in the corners of streets, and their carcass rotting for 2 days before the municipality van picks them up like garbage. Fine. I will even cross the carcass and go to the market to get veggies. It's all fine.

There are people who haven't had clean drinking water in ages. Fine.

There are children who sleep in garbage dumps. Fine.

There are kids begging in railway stations. Fine. Oh, I throw them a coin once in a while, if I have any change left.

There are kids sold into day labour, working 18 hours a day for a 2 dollar wage per day. Fine.

But don't you ever hand them a freaking Bible and give them hope and some help in the process. Not fine. I will roll on the ground and cry.

<YAWN> And these people are not even ashamed of their attitude. It's a crime to wash someone's hunger in the name of Jesus. It's alright if they starve to death.

Seriously, get a chill pill.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And, if I may add, this is the bizarre and irresponsible attitude I find in people in this thread, the SAME which I saw in my countrymen back home, since a kid.

There are lepers dying in the corners of streets, and their carcass rotting for 2 days before the municipality van picks them up like garbage. Fine. I will even cross the carcass and go to the market to get veggies. It's all fine.

There are kids begging in railway stations. Fine. Oh, I throw them a coin once in a while, if I have any change left.

There are kids sold into day labour, working 18 hours a day for a 2 dollar wage per day. Fine.

But don't you ever hand them a freaking Bible and give them hope and some help in the process. Not fine. I will roll on the ground and cry.

<YAWN> And these people are not even ashamed of their attitude. It's a crime to wash someone's hunger in the name of Jesus. It's alright if they starve to death.

BRAVO!!!!! Great set of posts. They echo what a young Catholic friend of mine from India tells me about the dominant Hindu culture over there.

The Catholic Church, with its absolute emphasis on the innate dignity of each individual human person made in the image and likeness of God, stands in stark opposition to the forces of materialism whose logical end result is either the gulag or the concentration camp.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:59 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:
Bullpoo.

A human being starves to death in app. 21 days, and dies of dehydration in three.
I quote the Bible...do you?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

How about you hand those kids a freakin school book so they have an education to make their lives better? Or even a bowl of rice so they have thet strength to make their 2 bucks a day since no one will give them an education?

Or isntead of handing a leper a bible, use that money to print liturature to break the stigmatism lepers have in Inadian society, so people will help them instead of shunning them.

While people are so busy prostylizing and "spreading the word of god", people are still languishing, starving, barely living.

Want to do some good? Donate to a charity that Does Not Have a relgiiosu agenda. Most of your donationa ctually does some good.

Makes a lot of sence to. Spend money on a bible for a kid who can't read.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
The problem with the world today is that it is a me-me world,I am the only important person and the heck with the other guy. Too bad this person was born in a third-world country and I was born with a silverspoon in my mouth,but that is the way it is tough luck.

A lot of times we don't realize that we don't have control of where we were born or that some are born in to poverty or wealth or the color of our skin or our nationality,but one thing we do have and that is a Saviour and that is Jesus Christ as He is our only hope.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:17 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The problem with the world today is that it is a me-me world,I am the only important person and the heck with the other guy. Too bad this person was born in a third-world country and I was born with a silverspoon in my mouth,but that is the way it is tough luck.

A lot of times we don't realize that we don't have control of where we were born or that some are born in to poverty or wealth or the color of our skin or our nationality,but one thing we do have and that is a Saviour and that is Jesus Christ as He is our only hope.
And yet you continually support giving these people bibles instead of at least food, or better yet the means to support themselves.

And you cannot see your own hypocracy.

Shame on you, shame.

Christian "Charities" have ruined true charity for plenty of people, the reason why secular charities are on the rise.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
How about you hand those kids a freakin school book so they have an education to make their lives better? Or even a bowl of rice so they have thet strength to make their 2 bucks a day since no one will give them an education?

Or isntead of handing a leper a bible, use that money to print liturature to break the stigmatism lepers have in Inadian society, so people will help them instead of shunning them.

While people are so busy prostylizing and "spreading the word of god", people are still languishing, starving, barely living.

Want to do some good? Donate to a charity that Does Not Have a relgiiosu agenda. Most of your donationa ctually does some good.

Makes a lot of sence to. Spend money on a bible for a kid who can't read.
Why do I sense a lack of coherence in that message, Axis

My "handing a freaking Bible" phrase was figurative and high on rhetoric. It's bizarre you would actually think the Christians hand out the Bible and solely the Bible. Perhaps that's your fantasized version of something you want to dismiss, coz the act of dismissal solely seeks to gratify your brimming sense of disdain, integral to the fact that you fail to see the assistance that's eventually provided.

The priests and nuns also run several schools in the East. They cannot actively preach because the student population is 90% hindu. But the good sense of charity they had, my school and several other catholic schools were not so persistent on the fees which were to be paid by the students. And most of whom that fail to pay their money are those from the slums, those who live below the poverty line. Yet, the priests and the nuns helped them complete their schooling and go on to graduate.

That shoots your "education" argument out of the window. Make no mistake, they even had separate classes for religious studies. The majority were put into secular classrooms where teaching about the Buddhists, the Hindus and the Jains would be propagated, while the Christian students bore the brunt of the chapel, the kneeling and the adoration.

Clearly, you do not understand. Or I am wondering if you can I have known people like this all my life. They have little exposure on the ground. Yet they speak, coz everyone has an internet connection, don't we??

But you are welcome to stand in your corner and COMPLAIN. It's a free world, mate. You think it's going to deter the priests, the nuns and christians?? No. They're going to the slums, they're reaching out to the poor and they WILL spread the word. They have billions of dollars of charity money. They will help. Just coz some people do not understand or do not like it does not mean the status quo is going away. It's here to stay.

If this makes you happy, I personally do not spread the word when I do my share of helping. I'm not a priest. This is your consolation prize

Now, where are the googletons when we need them? Quote a tool to find the exception to the rule, as though the exception becomes the rule.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
And yet you continually support giving these people bibles instead of at least food, or better yet the means to support themselves.

And you cannot see your own hypocracy.

Shame on you, shame.

Christian "Charities" have ruined true charity for plenty of people, the reason why secular charities are on the rise.
Did I say to not to give them food,you are not reading very well.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11997432-post140.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality