Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Why is it that everytime that when someone starts a new post on a subject "any subject", there always has to be people that think they need to jump in and always turn it into a religious discussion?
Do we need to add, "Please no religious views on this matter" to every post or thread at the start?
Not everything has to do with religion, or this church or that church and what some preacher has to say about the matter.
I've noticed that there seems to be a pattern of this happening all over CD and its threads & posts. A group of folks could be haveing a good down to earth conversation about (any given subject) and someone always has to jump in and bring religion in on the discussion. Then when you ask, "Whats religion have to do with the subject at hand?", they get all bent out of shape and start an argument of "why, are you against God or something?" And they always want to hijack the thread and keep it off course, just so they can have thier say about the subject on a religious level which was never there in the first place.
Why is this, can someone please explain this to me?

Last edited by EarthBound?; 12-08-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Maybe because those who do hijack threads with religion don't know anything else. Sad really, that they can't use the mind they were born with and carry on a decent conversation without religion in it.
Maybe they see only the religion title of the thread instead of the religion and philosophy part.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
Because some people are rude and just do not care, or are academically ignorant of how to separate philosophical discussions with religious ones. Some may view any religious discussion as an attack on there religion and take it personally.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Maybe because those who do hijack threads with religion don't know anything else. Sad really, that they can't use the mind they were born with and carry on a decent conversation without religion in it.
Maybe they see only the religion title of the thread instead of the religion and philosophy part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Because some people are rude and just do not care, or are academically ignorant of how to separate philosophical discussions with religious ones. Some may view any religious discussion as an attack on there religion and take it personally.
I just find it interesting that the three of us could be just sitting here have a great conversation about, lets say, "Mother Earth and how bad we are to her". And some Bible thumper jumps , for no good reason but just to say, "Theres no such thing as Mother Earth, because the Bible and my preacher say so" .
And when you ask them to stay on the topics, then they get mad and start accusing the three of us of being thread hogs or something, "what, no one else allowed to join the discussion just becaus ewe want to talk about our God?".

Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
One word of fatherly advice: avoid starting those types of discussions here in the R & P sub-forum. I regularly participate in the cooking, pets and hobbies & recreation threads, and do not run into someone telling me my bread doesn't rise properly because I"m no longer a Christian (tho' there are those here who might wish that on me).

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Why is it that everytime that when someone starts a new post on a subject "any subject", there always has to be people that think they need to jump in and always turn it into a religious discussion?
Do we need to add, "Please no religious views on this matter" to every post or thread at the start?
Oh please, this is the religion forum.

If it is a problem, you can start your threads in "other topics"

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I think that people who do that are completely ignorant in how to discuss things in a rational manner or even in how to hold a proper conversation. Usually they get all emotive and bent out of shape with their "if you're not for me, then you're against me" attitude. If it's a conversation in person, you can often see their faces start to turn red as they get all steamed up. Or, they might just be trolls looking to stir the pot. Whichever it is, they are quite rude.

Edited to add: I am referring to those who do it on other forums - not here in R&P

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Not everything has to do with religion, or this church or that church and what some preacher has to say about the matter.
I've noticed that there seems to be a pattern of this happening all over CD and its threads & posts. A group of folks could be haveing a good down to earth conversation about (any given subject) and someone always has to jump in and bring religion in on the discussion. Then when you ask, "Whats religion have to do with the subject at hand?", they get all bent out of shape and start an argument of "why, are you against God or something?" And they always want to hijack the thread and keep it off course, just so they can have thier say about the subject on a religious level which was never there in the first place.
Why is this, can someone please explain this to me?
All one has to do: ignore posts one wishes weren't there.

If it's a true hijack: use the report button. Enough complaints usually render a hasty solution.

It's too easy to get emotional here... like "I'll show YOU!" This isn't Okay Corrall. It's just an electronic forum. I've learned to be silent & move on. My posts are slowing down! I ground my axe down long ago!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Every now and then, when a good thread gets hijacked by the religious right, I begin to suspect that perhaps the Romans had the right idea about dealing with Christians..............Yeah, I know......overkill.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Ok, I just reported this thread. This is a veiled attack on Christians (Bible Thumpers???) It's against TOS to disrespect a set of people.

It's also against TOS to ask people not to post about religion in the religion board.

Besides, it's simply against TOS to tell people not to post in their threads.

C/D is a public forum, open to all.

If people don't want a particular set of people to post, they should open a personal website or a google blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality