Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times

Advertisements

What if I am a sinner by now, and this is all despair you are "selling" me now. Why not? At least that could be old fashioned: I am worried by the rush of progress and I believe that Christmas is a spectacle in Greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 AM

142 posts, read 249,655 times
Yeah the book isn't just a big book of rules. It's like a story. Things do change but let's make it clear that not everything changes.

One of the biggest things that you can gather from the Old Testament is how God stuck with His people through very difficult times. They faced several consequences because of their actions but after all was said and done God was right there with them through it all and at the end.

Edit: Errr... I see I am out of the flow of the conversation because of being late.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
again I ask, if that is the case, then why are the books of the old testament still part of your sacred book..?
The Old Testimony is the school teacher of our youth.
It is kept in our Bible as a means to study how Jesus fulfilled all the Law and freed us from it...

Old 12-12-2009, 09:46 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
A Jewish story reflecting human evolution with a god thrown in the mix.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The Old Testimony is the school teacher of our youth.
It is kept in our Bible as a means to study how Jesus fulfilled all the Law and freed us from it...

That's understandable within that context, however, if the old testament of your sacred book no longer applies and it is believed that your savior died of the crucifixion and created a new covenant, then why is it that the majority of christians that I know still claim that the old testament has its authority over their lives today and are constantly quoting it as an example..? Just a question and a thought...?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:
That's understandable within that context, however, if the old testament of your sacred book no longer applies and it is believed that your savior died of the crucifixion and created a new covenant, then why is it that the majority of christians that I know still claim that the old testament has its authority over their lives today and are constantly quoting it as an example..? Just a question and a thought...?
You want me to read the minds of people you know?

You think I got magic powers?...LOL

Look, I cant tell you why people that I dont even know might do or say the things that they do or say.

I can only help deal with the text before us.

The text is clear in that Christians are not bound under the Jewish laws because all that was "finished" and completed in the death of Christ.

here is another way to view the Old testimony that might help you see my point.

When you are married you place yourself under a vow to remain to only the one other person as long as you live.
But once your husband or wife dies, the wedding vow is not done away with, rather it has been "completed"...or "Finished"

This is very much the same way as how the Old Testament is to us Christians.

The Old Testament was not done away with, rather it was completed..."finished"

Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Yet despite all the cries of "misinterpretation!" and "out of context!" from you and the other lil apologists here, that is exactly what your Bible implies.
Anybody at anytime can be misunderstood when you don't endeavor to understand the context of their words - this happens all the time, not just with the Bible.

Did you read my post explaining the context of this particualar passage? (#31)

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
While looking for something to give direction to this verse I came up with a different approach on the verses of Deuteronomy. I remembered David quest to collected 100 foreskins as a dowry to give to Saul (he actually collected 600). I thought this was insane and sadistic when I first read about his marching orders, but now after reading “all” the translations of Deuteronomy 23:1, it looks to me like Saul also interpreted the location in Due 23:1 as heaven. He also must have seen a damaged penis as keeping the Philistines out of his mythical heaven. It looks like he and David saw the penis as being a key to the gates of his heaven and every Philistine foreskin was one less making it to their heaven. The only other option I can see for his request was he was a sick pervert; which I think would be more offensive to the religious than just wanting to keep the Philistines from going to their mythical heaven.
This does raise the other questions.
If your god wants you to cut the end off your penis, and than won’t let you into heaven with a damaged penis, is he actually saying you don’t have a place in his special afterlife? It may be your god is a woman if that is so.
If he/she is this obsessed with men’s penises, than this also might explain why the priest in the catholic church have such a problem keeping their hands off little boys.
You can read it any way you want. However, it meant the congregation, not heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Attending church has "nothing to do with heaven", you read it here first, folks!
You're right, going to church has nothing to do with getting to heaven, but way to take it out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Why can't folks just help one another to understand something without going on an attack and insult them? Man! So many people get on thier high-horses and jump down each other throats instead of just saying, "Nah, friend I think you may have miss read that, here's what it acually means". If this is the way Christians are, then I want no part of it. Atleast you know where the sinners stand in life.
Oh please. This was a troll post and you know it. When someone asks a sincere question I will answer appropriately. When someone trolls just trying to make God look bad, but in turn make themselves look ignorant, I'll say so.

Quote:
I guess that means that all the books of the old testament from your sacred book are no longer applicable and if that is the case, then why are they still part of your sacred book..?
Just to learn more about God and the history. Those people you know that still believe they are under the OT probably will tell you they think they're still under obligation to the 10 commandments. Jesus repeated 9 of those commandments, but He did not repeat that we must keep the Sabbath.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
You want me to read the minds of people you know?

You think I got magic powers?...LOL

Look, I cant tell you why people that I dont even know might do or say the things that they do or say.

I can only help deal with the text before us.

The text is clear in that Christians are not bound under the Jewish laws because all that was "finished" and completed in the death of Christ.

here is another way to view the Old testimony that might help you see my point.

When you are married you place yourself under a vow to remain to only the one other person as long as you live.
But once your husband or wife dies, the wedding vow is not done away with, rather it has been "completed"...or "Finished"

This is very much the same way as how the Old Testament is to us Christians.

The Old Testament was not done away with, rather it was completed..."finished"

Okay, if it's finished, then why continue to have it part of your sacred book?.. if the teachings of your savior is the new testament, then shouldn't your sacred book consists of those teachings and not the ones of the old testament...? You are no longer bound by the teachings of the old testament, so why keep them as part of your sacred book..?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Okay, if it's finished, then why continue to have it part of your sacred book?.. if the teachings of your savior is the new testament, then shouldn't your sacred book consists of those teachings and not the ones of the old testament...? You are no longer bound by the teachings of the old testament, so why keep them as part of your sacred book..?
He answered that question already

Look, would you throw out all the chapters in every history book about the Civil War just because we no longer have slavery in this counry??

History is IMPORTANT. It helps us to understand where we came from and where we are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality