Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
even if the future majority = the majority of our descendants

only ever turn more towards = do not "massively deny the very existence of God", but change their concept of God

a deistic type = a non personal, hands off, not interactive, type. There are no inspired "holy" books from this concept of God, no dogma to follow, no personal relationships with this "God".
Ok, I understand that you think Americans are going to stop worshiping God and Christians are going to abandon Jesus Christ their Savior and Redeemer, and everyone's going to either start worshiping idols, or join the 1.6% or whatever of the American population who today profess to be godless atheists. You seem to have a whole lot of faith in your beliefs/non-beliefs, and probably a lot of hope that they'll turn out to be true as well...

I think you are going to be greatly disappointed, though sure, there is a lot of disarray in organized religion led by a weak and wavering professional clergy and some are leaving it. But most people who are abandoning organized denominations are not losing their belief that God exists, they're just interacting with Him in different, possibly more private, ways.

Last edited by justamere10; 12-19-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
A lot of people would call us conspiracy nuts, but I actually agree with you. We are losing our national sovereignty to a cadre of international bankers and global elites hell bent on bringing in a one world system of government. Theists and nontheists alike need to wake up and work together to keep this from happening.

That's how I see it, and I'm pessimistic -people have become too apathetic and egosyntonic to do anything about it.

All the best.
How be you cross your fingers, and I'll pray...

Old 12-19-2009, 11:28 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
If you read the Book of Mormon you will become aware of two civilizations that occupied the Americas and were destroyed in civil war because they turned to pride, secularism, and wickedness, exactly the conditions we see all around us in the USA today.
I'm not reading the entire book of mormon....How about answering my question....What former civilizations? My search produced this..
Quote:
There were no occurrences of the words AMERICAN and CIVILIZATIONS found in the Text of the Scriptures.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Actually, people are loosing religious faith worldwide at fast pace as we speak. In Europe and many other parts of world, there are already large populations of people who do not believe in any sort of Gods. Even in US, according to a recent survey, atheist population is growing fast -- at the cost of Christianity, of course.

Internet is changing the world. As more and more religion discussions going on, more and more people are realizing the absurdity nature of religions.

In a few more years, most people in the world will be atheists, leaving only a handful of old, close-minded religious people still banging their heads on the ground praying...
With respect for your right to believe as you will, I think your hope that most people in the world will be atheists "in a few more years" is highly irrational.

It's true that many Christians in western nations are abandoning organized religion possibly because their paid professional clergy are weak and wavering, but they are not abandoning their belief in God, just the way they interact with Him.

"While there are more atheists than ever before, polls show that atheism's percentages seems to be declining... The most recent ARIS report, released March 9, 2009, found in 2008, 34.2 million Americans (15.0%) claim no religion. Of which, 1.6% explicitly describe themselves as atheist or agnostic..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM

I see you are still trying to put us atheists in our place by sticking to the lowest numbers as if they were accurate....Are repeating things that have already been thoughly discussed your method of debate?....It reminds me of someone else here.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not reading the entire book of mormon....How about answering my question....What former civilizations? My search produced this..
It is the thinking of many Mormons over the last couple of decades or so that the Book of Mormon events took place primarily in MesoAmerica but towards the end up into northern Mexico and southern USA.

The first civilization, called "Jaredites" (possibly the same people scientists call "Olmec") came to the Americas (probably east coast of Mexico) from the Tower of Babel event possibly about 3,000 B.C. As prophesied because they turned to wickedness, they were wiped out in civil war after becoming one of the greatest nations this world has ever known, at least to that time.

The second nation, called "Nephites" came to the Americas (possibly west coast of Guatemala) from Jerusalem about 600 B.C. As prophesied because of wickedness, they were almost completely wiped out by the "Lamanites" about 385 A.D.

The record known today as "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ" was written for our time as a warning to us what would happen if the inhabitants of the Americas once again turn to such evil ways as we see happening all around us in our time.

But you can read all about the Jaredites and the Nephites yourself if you are serious about knowing more.

http://scriptures.lds.org/

Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I see you are still trying to put us atheists in our place by sticking to the lowest numbers as if they were accurate....Are repeating things that have already been thoughly discussed your method of debate?....It reminds me of someone else here.
Everyone knows that wiki is not valid or reliable but it's easily accessible. If you have a link to studies that lean towards there being more godless people in the USA, then why not post the link here instead of complaining about my sources? (I did post a link to the article, anyone who is interested can check it out for themselves.)

But however it turns out, you're going to find yourself to be a member of just a very tiny minority group in the USA and Canada. I did hear on a TV news station recently that about 8% of the USA population is atheist, but I don't have a link to that and don't know how valid it is, maybe just some anchor's opinion.

Wanna split the difference?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
It is the thinking of many Mormons over the last couple of decades or so that the Book of Mormon events took place primarily in MesoAmerica but towards the end up into northern Mexico and southern USA.

The first civilization, called "Jaredites" (possibly the same people scientists call "Olmec") came to the Americas (probably east coast of Mexico) from the Tower of Babel event possibly about 3,000 B.C. As prophesied because they turned to wickedness, they were wiped out in civil war after becoming one of the greatest nations this world has ever known, at least to that time.

The second nation, called "Nephites" came to the Americas (possibly west coast of Guatemala) from Jerusalem about 600 B.C. As prophesied because of wickedness, they were almost completely wiped out by the "Lamanites" about 385 A.D.

The record known today as "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ" was written for our time as a warning to us what would happen if the inhabitants of the Americas once again turn to such evil ways as we see happening all around us in our time.

But you can read all about the Jaredites and the Nephites yourself if you are serious about knowing more.

http://scriptures.lds.org/
Good grief! Do you actually believe that stuff? And you criticize Wiki as not being reliable.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,366 times
Should have checked Wiki-: Subjectivist Science or Science is nothing but Falsehood; or Death to Science; or science is government deceiving the Pagan Masses.????

Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Good grief! Do you actually believe that stuff? And you criticize Wiki as not being reliable.
You are of course entitled to your opinions but since you have not even read let alone sincerely prayed about the Book of Mormon, you are logically not in any position to judge and criticize it or those who believe it to be true. Yes, I believe the Book of Mormon to be true.

The title page of the Book of Mormon, written by its final author, Moroni, near 400 A.D., said that the purposes of the book were:
  1. Convince both Gentiles and Jews that Jesus is The Christ, the eternal God
  2. To show the remnants of the House of Israel the great things that the Lord had done for their ancestors
  3. To teach them the covenants of the Lord
For me, the primary purpose of the book is to bring souls to Christ. It is a powerful witness of Jesus Christ and wonderfully centered on Him.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/BOMIntro.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality