U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 PM

179 posts, read 247,220 times

Advertisements

Black jesus, White jesus? Why the hell do people even argue something so stupid as it's my understanding that he was neither! Like many of my african american friends say "what's with that picture of jesus you got on that wall? why's he white? you know he was black right?" or a white friend of mine says he was white becuse "his purity made his skin give off an aura of light" what BS! As it is my understanding that he was born in what is now lebenon and I've never seen black or white people from there! Can anyone explain why some people would even say such erroneous things?

Last edited by PersonaFan; 12-12-2009 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Status: "Wondering what Hillary is doing right now." (set 3 days ago)

2,321 posts, read 2,540,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
Black jesus, White jesus? Why the hell do people even argue something so stupid as it's my understanding that he was neither! Like many of my african american friends say "what's with that picture of jesus you got on that wall? why's he white? you know he was black right? or a white friend of mine says he was white becuse "his purity made his skin give off an aura of light" what BS! As it is my understanding that he was born in what is now lebenon and I've never seen black or white people from there! Can anyone explain why some people would even say such erroneous things?
Yes, I believe I can explain this for you. Christianity was and is the bastion of "white" religion. White men adopted this religion as their own, and thus identify with a "white" Jesus. The fact that he was a bronze skinned man never seems to come into play in their minds. To them, Jesus is white. Then we have the black community. The many different ethnicities that are contained in the so called black community are legion, and most were worshippers of nature deities or natural phenomena until they were forced into circulation amongst white men. Then, many adopted the religion. Now, there are millions and millions of black Christians. And of course, they identify with a black Jesus. So to them, Jesus is black. They also fail to take historical facts into account that would directly refute their claims because in their hearts and minds, Jesus is a black man. Why? Because people worship an unseen entity, so naturally the appearance that entity takes on in their minds is one which will be more comforting and encouraging. Thus, the black or white Jesus. Religion, in many ways, has nothing to do with reality or historical fact. It's all about belief. And although I don't strictly believe in any one religion, I do believe in the power of belief. If enough people believe or want something, we can and will bring it into being. Because human beings are much more powerful than we understand. And when we achieve that sort of understanding, God will be revealed to us. Until then, people will continue to worship and believe what makes them comfortable and happy. And no matter what their color choice may be, the message remains true through all races. Peace, love, and good will toward all men.

Seasons Greeting everyone!
May your holiday season be filled with love and family!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 AM

19,022 posts, read 23,164,045 times
Jesus is six feet tall, blond, has blue eyes and a six-pack

Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,939,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Jesus is white mixed with red and Moses is black peace be upon them all.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 AM

19,022 posts, read 23,164,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
Jesus is white mixed with red and Moses is black peace be upon them all.

He didn't look so, dude. He was a hunk, he kissed a lot, argued a lot with the bald guy, went to the desert, grew a beard, hurled the tablets down, flew up to heaven and then the movie ended

Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 AM

13,856 posts, read 20,975,795 times
I think the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church isn't "white" and has existed since the fourth or fifth century.

It is true though that the "stream" of Christianity that spread itself most was white and European. Ethiopian Christianity was initially reluctant to evangelize at all and even when it did it mostly limited it to neighboring peoples. The Assyrians evangelized in East Asia, but were largely crushed by the Medieval period.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:07 AM

3,334 posts, read 4,837,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
Jesus is white mixed with red.

?????? He must have been part Cherokee then.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,638,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Tony you are such a nut! I think he must've wore a cool pair of shades too.

On a more serious note, I agree with the OP. He had to have been middle eastern looking.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM

206 posts, read 476,353 times
Troll tread.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 AM

4,175 posts, read 5,595,278 times
There is an interesting/ serious article here about JC's color and looks:
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | So what colour was Jesus?

Per the article, he is much more likely to be represented by the image in the right.

Hollywood prefers the version below (same source):

Additional interesting variations and photos here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Jesus

Last edited by calmdude; 12-13-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality