Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
God will use the same magic that allowed a T Rex to survive on a wooden boat built by a 900 year old Jew.

All I care about is all the free stuff that will be laying around for the taking once all of the christers disappear.
Well considering that only 110,000 get to go in a world of 6 billion, there won't be a lot of free stuff to go around. Sorry, mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM

151 posts, read 397,377 times
I'm pretty sure that if there ever is a rapture, the people with those bumper stickers will be the last ones plucked.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Well considering that only 110,000 get to go in a world of 6 billion, there won't be a lot of free stuff to go around. Sorry, mate.
Only 110,000, i didn't know that. So you have better odds of winning the powerball lottery twice while being struck by lightning than being one of the lucky few that god will save from the antichrist. I knew that religion was a scam but I never guessed that it was rigged like a carnival game.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Only 110,000, i didn't know that. So you have better odds of winning the powerball lottery twice while being struck by lightning than being one of the lucky few that god will save from the antichrist. I knew that religion was a scam but I never guessed that it was rigged like a carnival game.
Well lets look at the numbers.

33% of the worlds population are supposed to be Christians.

That means there are about 2208000000 (2.208 billion people).

Lets assume that 75% of them aren't going to heaven, because lets face it, either the snake handlers or the Catholics are write, they aren't both right.

So that means there will be about 500 million people world wide that are going to heaven. Since the United States is 300 million people, and 75% of them classify themselves as Christians, that means that there are about 225 million Americans that could be going in the rapture. Of course, at least 75% of them probably aren't going. So that means that only about 56 million people here in the states are actually going to leave in the rapture.

Thats not a lot of people.

And before someone bashes my numbers, I was always told that most people won't be getting into heaven. You've got to assume that "most" doesn't mean just half, or the biblical writers would have said half.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:35 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Some Practical Questions About The Rapture

Practical questions about a ludicrous myth? Gimme a break, this makes even less sence than does christianity in general.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Cars with those bumper stickers are the safest ones to be behind in the event of the Rapture. The drivers are committing the sin of pride, presuming to know that God is going to whisk them to heaven, so I exprect he'll leave them in their vehicles.
Or maybe they read Matthew 24.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Oh no, it's not like that. If you pay your tithes regluarly and generously, you will most definitely be among those 110,000. Do you need an address to send your check?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about Armageddon and it's references to the rapture got me thinking about what those who believe it's really going to happen and how it would take place. I've seen the bumper stickers on cars alerting me that this particular vehicle could suddenly be missing a driver and veer out of control. It appears to me that the common belief is that the physical bodies of those who are rapture bound are suddenly going to fly up into the sky. From a purely practical and common sense perspective how could a human body go flying through the roof of a moving automobile, from inside an office building, or any other enclosed space without being ripped to pieces when it strikes metal, concrete or whatever material happens to be in the way? And if they miraculously passed through steel or concrete without a scratch where in the world are they actually headed? Are they going to outer space or just to some higher altitude where they'll be organized into one large group from all over the planet?
Surely anyone should be able to recognize why someone like myself could be extremely skeptical about such an event ever taking place. Anyway, I'm just wondering what those who believe in the rapture think is going to take place and how a frail human body could survive such an experience.
Hey! MontanaGuy, how r ya how r ya? I am still here in the valley... How is it up ur way? U enjoying life? I hope u r. Any way I don't think there is any way "from a purely practical and common sense perspective for a human body to go flying..." In fact is is quite impossible, but Believers believe in a God who specializes in the impossible. And, "there is nothing impossible to those who believe..." Now I now that does not make sense to u because u don't believe or see through the eyes of faith and ur heart is not open to the possibility, but I still think ur a nice guy any way

Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about Armageddon and it's references to the rapture got me thinking about what those who believe it's really going to happen and how it would take place. I've seen the bumper stickers on cars alerting me that this particular vehicle could suddenly be missing a driver and veer out of control. It appears to me that the common belief is that the physical bodies of those who are rapture bound are suddenly going to fly up into the sky. From a purely practical and common sense perspective how could a human body go flying through the roof of a moving automobile, from inside an office building, or any other enclosed space without being ripped to pieces when it strikes metal, concrete or whatever material happens to be in the way? And if they miraculously passed through steel or concrete without a scratch where in the world are they actually headed? Are they going to outer space or just to some higher altitude where they'll be organized into one large group from all over the planet?
Surely anyone should be able to recognize why someone like myself could be extremely skeptical about such an event ever taking place. Anyway, I'm just wondering what those who believe in the rapture think is going to take place and how a frail human body could survive
such an experience.

I was watching a show on the history channel last night that said the rapture wasn't even biblical. That mainstream Christianity doesn't believe in the rapture only the fundamentalist/evangelical crowd.

Here is some info I found that was included in the show I watched.

Link: http://www.churchisraelforum.com/The_Rapture.htm (broken link)

HOW DID THE RAPTURE GET STARTED?

When we take a look at church history we learn that the pre-tribulation rapture teaching began in Scotland in 1830. The idea was apparently unknown in the church before this date, and it was unknown to the early Christians, as we will later illustrate. It is likely that the teaching began in Port Glasgow with a prophecy from a young woman by the name of Margaret Macdonald. She apparently had some connections with Edward Irving’s movement, and it was this group that first began to circulate her revelation. The idea was soon picked up, publicized and greatly developed by John Nelson Darby, founder of the Plymouth Brethren. Later the whole scheme of the rapture was incorporated into the notes of the popular Schofield Bible. From there the teaching was spread worldwide. Today it has probably become one of the most accepted and fervently held eschatological beliefs of western evangelical Christians.
This whole emphasis, however, seems contrary to the Hebraic and biblical idea of the righteous remaining on the earth (Psa.115:16). We see this clearly in many scriptures like Psalm 37:9, 11, where we read that those who hope in the Lord and those who are meek will inherit the land. The Lord himself even repeats this promise in Matthew 5:5. In Psalm 37:29 it is affirmed with these words: "the righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever." In Proverbs 2:21-22 the author states: "For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it."
In Proverbs 10:30 it is stated bluntly: "The righteous will never be uprooted, but the wicked will not remain in the land." These scriptures are underscored in the parables of Jesus. They tell us it is the wicked that will be removed from the earth. This conclusion is also supported by a careful study of the book of Revelation.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I was watching a show on the history channel last night that said the rapture wasn't even biblical. That mainstream Christianity doesn't believe in the rapture only the fundamentalist/evangelical crowd.

Here is some info I found that was included in the show I watched.

Link: The Rapture (http://www.churchisraelforum.com/The_Rapture.htm - broken link)

HOW DID THE RAPTURE GET STARTED?

When we take a look at church history we learn that the pre-tribulation rapture teaching began in Scotland in 1830. The idea was apparently unknown in the church before this date, and it was unknown to the early Christians, as we will later illustrate. It is likely that the teaching began in Port Glasgow with a prophecy from a young woman by the name of Margaret Macdonald. She apparently had some connections with Edward Irving’s movement, and it was this group that first began to circulate her revelation. The idea was soon picked up, publicized and greatly developed by John Nelson Darby, founder of the Plymouth Brethren. Later the whole scheme of the rapture was incorporated into the notes of the popular Schofield Bible. From there the teaching was spread worldwide. Today it has probably become one of the most accepted and fervently held eschatological beliefs of western evangelical Christians.
This whole emphasis, however, seems contrary to the Hebraic and biblical idea of the righteous remaining on the earth (Psa.115:16). We see this clearly in many scriptures like Psalm 37:9, 11, where we read that those who hope in the Lord and those who are meek will inherit the land. The Lord himself even repeats this promise in Matthew 5:5. In Psalm 37:29 it is affirmed with these words: "the righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever." In Proverbs 2:21-22 the author states: "For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it."
In Proverbs 10:30 it is stated bluntly: "The righteous will never be uprooted, but the wicked will not remain in the land." These scriptures are underscored in the parables of Jesus. They tell us it is the wicked that will be removed from the earth. This conclusion is also supported by a careful study of the book of Revelation.
Try telling this to the "trainee cloud surfers" over on the xian forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality