Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't think so....This is the OP..
Looks pretty plain to me, but perhaps the punishment should be aimed at anti gay bigots instead.
I know, I know but doesn't it make more sense that way ? Especially if you only read the "tag-line" ? Much more appropriate and funny .

Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I know, I know but doesn't it make more sense that way ? Especially if you only read the "tag-line" ? Much more appropriate and funny .
Absolutely!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanspeur
Last I checked there were a few places that homosexuals can legally get married. All of Canada for one.
Also Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and South Africa. Every country within the EEC have either, legalised same sex marriage or same sex Civil Partnerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I believe most have heard the statement before "Hate the sin,love the sinner", ........
So God sends the sinner to hell not the sin. Brilliant!!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
It's threads like this one that re-kindle my flagging enthusiasm to fight Christianity forever! Because if "they" were in charge, what a "hell" of a place this world would be to live in.
So a bizarre stereotype of Christians is a good reason to fight Christianity? How many Christians on this thread have advocated any punishments for homosexuality?

Quote:
Special! Loving! Tolerant! Such are the wages of a depraved and totalitarian fundamentalist regime, banging their "inerrant" bible against the heads of "the unsaved"....
Where has this happened in the last century?

Quote:
I'm not hallucinating; for an historical replay of what I suggest, check out The Age of Darkness, or The Spanish Inquisition, or The Salem Witch Hunts.
Yes, we're all hiding under your bed plotting against you.

Most anything that's 2000 years old can look bad through selective editing like this. However the reality is secular-nationalist and Marxist regimes did things that make the Spanish Inquisition pale into insignificance. In the meantime the last twenty-five decades have seen Christians try to end slavery, bring Civil Rights for African Americans, try to stop various wars, support vaccination programs, etc. The only Christian theocratic states on Earth are small enclaves that are mostly inhabited by people in religious orders. (Mt. Athos, the Vatican, Erchmazdin or however you call that Armenian place)

Even in the eras you mean Christians were building Hospitals, Universities, writing about botany, pharmacology, devising more accurate calendars, etc. Colonial Massachusetts may have given us the Salem witch-trials, but it also gave us Harvard. Although never denominational Harvard is named for clergyman John Harvard. Sixteenth century Spain produced the intellectually interesting "School of Salamanca." The period also produced El Greco and Lope de Vega.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
So a bizarre stereotype of Christians is a good reason to fight Christianity? How many Christians on this thread have advocated any punishments for homosexuality?
Perhaps not so much on this thread (yet), but do you not think that lobbying to deny gays equal rights is not a punishment?....From what I have seen since I've been on these forums the majority of Christians here are against equal rights for homosexuals....How about you? Where do you stand on this issue?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
So not changing ancient institutions for gays is punishment of them? Granting them more rights than they ever had in US history, but not as much as they'd like to have, is a punishment? And so by this thinking I'm being punished when say a business doesn't make itself handicap accessible? Interesting.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
So not changing ancient institutions for gays is punishment of them? Granting them more rights than they ever had in US history, but not as much as they'd like to have, is a punishment? And so by this thinking I'm being punished when say a business doesn't make itself handicap accessible? Interesting.
I believe your thinking may be handicapped by your beliefs...Yes, denying equal rights to any group is a form of mass punishment. Denying gays the right to marry has many negative implications under your current family, tax and inheritance laws. They are denied many other legal rights and benefits that heterosexual couples have. At least now I know where you stand.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 AM

This just in.... D.C. approves same-sex marriage; civl rights vs. gay rights - washingtonpost.com

Old 12-17-2009, 06:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I still think the OP's thread is about what punishment should be metted out to Christians who are against homosexuality... The grammar never lies.

I prefer to read it that way, it does make so much more sense...
I read the thread title that way too.

I think Christians against homosexuality should get "time out" until they learn how to play nicely with others.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Would allowing only Protestants to marry be punishment to Catholics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality