Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I am in Atlanta GA
Oh, duh... I would've known that if I'd bothered to look up. I'm in California, so it's a bit earlier here!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:01 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,996,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
I really am interested in Christianity and would like to better understand the logic, the reason, and the basis for certain beliefs.

As far as I know, Jesus said to love and accept all sinners, right? He also proclaimed that all sin is equal, correct?

So why does it then seem like some groups are judged more harshly than others? It is true that it is not your place as followers of Christ to pass judgement or ration out "sin".

So this being the case, let me ask you - which groups in your mind are the greatest "sinners"?

1. Child molestors
2. Rapists
3. Murderers
4. Thiefs
5. Homosexuals
6. Adulterers
7. Liars

I've got to say of my limited experience with Christians and from the discussions on this board, it seems as though out of all these "sinners" homosexuals are consistently targeted.

Even within the church, you find the most passionate sermons revolve around homosexuality. Not murder. Not child abuse. Not rape. But homosexuality, which according to every psychological, medical, and human sexuality organization is a valid, normal, non changeable preference.

So please let me ask you - why gays?
I couldn't sleep...so here I am again
Actually, IMO I think you did a wonderful job of listing them in proper order!
Yes, sin is SIN no matter how you look at it and God HATES SIN! BUT...I also think He gave us the Ten Commandments for a reason...however you must also keep in mind the New Testament where Jesus "updated" some of the commandments, so to speak . So instead of being "guilty" of these sins IF you actually committed them, it actually became a sin just thinking about it...We are ALL sinners! It doesn't matter whether you're saved or unsaved, believer or non-believer, white, black, asian or hispanic, it doesn't matter if you're guilty of murder, rape, homosexuality or simply taking a glass or a salt shaker out of a restaurant. SIN IS SIN!
It is not my place to say that you are going to hell because you're a rapist or murderer or homosexual or a thief...that is God's place. However, it IS up to Christians to tell people what the Bible says about sin...there is actually a verse in the Bible (and I STILL really need to find it again) that states that if one doesn't KNOW something is a sin, they are not guilty. However, once made aware of the sin and refusal to repent...that's another story.
I don't know your heart...only GOD knows!

As to WHY homosexuality is addressed more than the other sins, it's because the other topics are NOT politically debatable AND there is no one out there trying to legalize brutally killing someone and shedding innocent blood (With the exception of abortion...and believe me, that is a WHOLE other can of worms kind of hot topic right there ). There is no one out there trying to legalize molesting children or making it "acceptable" to view naked children. There is no one out there trying to legalize stealing. There is no one out there trying to legalize rape...and so on...you get my drift!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, to everyone who keeps saying they (gay people) are sinners because they haven't repented... what if they aren't Christian?? If somebody isn't of the Christian faith, do you still think they need to follow the "word" of the Bible - and on that note, aren't all non-Christians equally sinners in your eyes? So logically, you should be judging straight non-Christians the same as gay ones. Geez, that was a bit too philosophical.
Naaa, not way too philosophical...you're right on! We are ALL sinners. Christians and non-Christians alike. And YES "logically" straight non-Christians are just as guilty of sin and non-Christian sinners AND even CHRISTIAN sinners as well! Anyone that continiously sins without repenting (KNOWING that it IS INDEED SIN) is guilty.

Romans 3:23 For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through the Jesus Christ our Lord.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
I really am interested in Christianity and would like to better understand the logic, the reason, and the basis for certain beliefs.

As far as I know, Jesus said to love and accept all sinners, right? He also proclaimed that all sin is equal, correct?

So why does it then seem like some groups are judged more harshly than others? It is true that it is not your place as followers of Christ to pass judgement or ration out "sin".

So this being the case, let me ask you - which groups in your mind are the greatest "sinners"?

1. Child molestors
2. Rapists
3. Murderers
4. Thiefs
5. Homosexuals
6. Adulterers
7. Liars

I've got to say of my limited experience with Christians and from the discussions on this board, it seems as though out of all these "sinners" homosexuals are consistently targeted.

Even within the church, you find the most passionate sermons revolve around homosexuality. Not murder. Not child abuse. Not rape. But homosexuality, which according to every psychological, medical, and human sexuality organization is a valid, normal, non changeable preference.

So please let me ask you - why gays?
This is one of the reasons I quit going to church with my husband (where I had attended off and on for 40 years)..I was sick and tired of getting dressed up on Sunday morning in anticipation of a good ,lovig sermon on the bible. I got that most times. But many times it was peppered with hate remarks about homosexuality. They would claim to love the person hate the sin. They bashed civil unions constantly. They clearly didn't love the person who is gay. When they gave the gays a rest they bashed the Catholics or the muslims. I had to quit, and have actually grown in my faith and love for God and his Son . The church was holding me back. I can't answer the question in this thread about why christians bash the gays so much, I know from my bible study that EVERY sin is an abomination to God. That is why he sent his son. (so that ALL sin can be forgiven)

Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,597,697 times
aiangel writer wrote:
Quote:
What we said was the sin was equal in God's eyes.
Wow, it sounds like God needs glasses.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:06 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,204,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
aiangel writer wrote:

Wow, it sounds like God needs glasses.
not really Montana seee think of it as shades of grey
Black in it is sin and white in it is good
and in order to make it white again you may have to add a little or a lot of white

(the adding of white is penance)

although all sins fall in the tone of grey the amount of white added differs to get it back
hope this helps a little

Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feng View Post
All sin is not equal.

Some sins cannot be forgiven for, but most can!

So if some can't be forgiven and some can, then all sins are not equal!
How many unforgiveable sins can you name?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 PM

3,261 posts, read 9,166,262 times
There are murderers and then there are MURDERERS and then there are SERIAL KILLERS. THOSE are the ones with NO soul.

My stepmom was married to a very wonderful man before she married my daddy but life threw her a curve she never saw coming.

Quote:
Two ladies from Gowensville were selling vegetables from their garden at the crossroads nearly two years ago, one September evening. Jim was there, meeting folks who had called about his white SUV, an old truck which he had parked there with a For Sale sign in the window. As he always did, Jim sought to make new friends. He chatted with the produce sales ladies, and bought some okra.

A Tennessee man named David had the truck out for a test drive. David's common law wife, Jennifer, told Jim she was taking her child in their car to Landrum for a hamburger. For awhile that evening, the two would-be murderers were both gone from the scene, with the truck they had come to steal.

Why not take it then? Why return the next day to abduct and murder a gentle man, such an outstanding man?

It is the absurd, unexplainable meanness and stupidity of this horrible crime which sticks in the throat. Jennifer and David barely mounted a defense this past week. There were no real questions as to the facts. They very likely will pay with their lives. The jury began considering their life stories Sunday and, of course, Jim’s life story.

Jim’s widow, Cathy, told of her life with Jim, his children, his many civic and business involvements. She recalled last seeing him on the morning of his murder. He was washing some floor mats he had taken out of his pick-up, planning to throw them in with the SUV as a gesture of kindness to the poisonous couple who had given their names as Charlotte and Greg Hemlock. The cruelty which he met in return that morning defies understanding.
They found Jim stuffed in a fridge with his head wrapped in duct tape, not just his mouth as was originally reported to the press.

Also, while in jail the two planned to murder Jennifer's stepfather but the authorities intercepted the plan and used the info against them at the trial.

While the death penalty is still on the table, the two only got life imprisonment. However if they ever appeal or try for parole, the death penalty can be brought back as a possible option. So it is in their best interest to NEVER appeal and never attempt parole.

Btw, Jim was the third person they contacted that day. The first person never showed, the second one just happen to have someone with her. They were calling "vehicles for sale" listings in the local paper.

How they were found...Jennifer used a traceable cell phone. Liz

Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,905,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
This is one of the reasons I quit going to church with my husband (where I had attended off and on for 40 years)..I was sick and tired of getting dressed up on Sunday morning in anticipation of a good ,lovig sermon on the bible. I got that most times. But many times it was peppered with hate remarks about homosexuality. They would claim to love the person hate the sin. They bashed civil unions constantly. They clearly didn't love the person who is gay. When they gave the gays a rest they bashed the Catholics or the muslims. I had to quit, and have actually grown in my faith and love for God and his Son . The church was holding me back. I can't answer the question in this thread about why christians bash the gays so much, I know from my bible study that EVERY sin is an abomination to God. That is why he sent his son. (so that ALL sin can be forgiven)
It's not on your list but the "greatest" sin is the one of denying God. It's the only one that will keep you from heaven.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,569,900 times
Though most sins are equal in the eyes of God if repeatedly and unrepentantly practiced, the bible does mention the 'unforgiveable sin' which would be sinning against his holy spirit. And only He knows when a person has reached that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.