Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Silent Night Holy Night in German

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXx1VmI-SQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,787 times
Merry Christmas Dear June and to all my friends on this Forum, God Bless,

Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
With the thought in mind as to what she wrote last evening, below, June is hereby moving this thread over to the main Religion and Philosophy forum. --Because Christmas IS (or at least should be, by sheer definition) an INCLUSIVE HOLIDAY.

For all.

MEANING EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM.

Please feel free to post whatever Christmas songs, thoughts, or posts you may wish, provided they are in the Spirit of this Holiday Season. -Or simply listen, and enjoy...

P.S. ALL are welcome to post, regardless of belief system. That means EVERYONE, even non-believers, like myself, who celebrate and/or otherwise enjoy this holiday. The only thing that is being asked is to please --in the spirit of "peace on earth, good will towards men"-- to not use this thread to otherwise debate this Holiday.

Thanks, everyone!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS

-June

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
~Admittedly, June feels as though she should have posted this thread in the R&P forum, as truthfully, many, many people aside from 'Christians' acknowledge Christmas. --Which in turn, made June think. She realized that she was posting this thread in this particular forum only due to her past tradition of having posted "Rock With June" threads here.

--And yet, Christmas is not limited to just 'particular forums' or ideologies. It's not limited to individual denominations. It's not limited to individual doctrines. It's not limited to individual dogmas. It's not even limited to just the United States, or where you are reading this post from. It's not limited to belief systems, necessarily, given the fact that Christmas may mean different things to different people in their varying ways of thinking about, and conceptualizing it.

And June is one such person.

She hopes the fact that the atheist moderator who hereby begins a thread devoted to Christmas music is not offensive to anyone. It is intended for all who wish to participate in posting Christmas songs/music, or who just wish to listen, and hopefully enjoy. --Because something compelled her to start this thread. Christmas is nothing if not the spirit behind it, born out of the story of the birth of a child. The story of a birth which, for most here, cannot be separated from either its true meaning or reason to celebrate "tidings of comfort and joy."

Which even for this individual, doesn't seem too difficult to identify with in terms of the meaning behind the spirit of life, the meaning behind "peace on earth, good will towards men" and the meaning behind just the simple beauty of the images in the song's rendition, below. Among other things, it was chosen for it's peacefulness...With genuine tidings of comfort and joy for those who listen.

We all need, and deserve, tidings of comfort in our lives. -As human beings, no matter who we are, or what we may or may not believe, ALL deserve our own peace on earth. -And we all would like to receive, as well as hopefully extend, good will towards mankind. And if we are lucky, very. very lucky, sometimes we even find/experience within all that, some kind of tiding of....joy.

~~For whoever wishes to post music, or just listen, or to otherwise send non-musical sentiments, this thread is for everyone. For the next seven days, until Christmas.

In the Spirit of Christmas Peace.

Take gentle Christmas care,

-June

Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 PM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,612 times
Merry Christmas everyone... have a rockin' holiday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6UMlHyR1A

Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Merry Christmas to all of you here on these three forums.So many of you have touched me both personally and spiritually and I thank God daily for all of you...

Like so many of you here, I love this season of giving, loving and sharing..I love the lights, the laughter of children and yes their excitement as Santa's arrival draws ever closer..

I have been off since last night due to the storm that has many of us in this county in the dark... in the still quiet beauty of falling snow on the trees and covering the mountains with a beauiful white downy comfortor..

As I told June last night just before our power went off, that those times are a little special to me as I see them as God giving me time out from the "busyness" of this life to contemplate His majesty, His power and His love in the still of a snowladen quiet world..

A couple of my grandkids were here and we sat together wrapped in quilts and renewed old memories and made some new ones in the glow of candlelight..

I was thankful for the return of heat, lights and the inventions of this world that make me comfortable and ease my work load so much, but the beauty of last night and the memories made between myself and a couple of the grands will last forever..

Tonite there are members of my family gathered here because they are still with out power...We have plenty of room and are warm,, and thankful for one more reason to be together..

God Bless you all..and prayers and good wishes for the coming year..

Bev

Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

As I told June last night...we sat together wrapped in quilts and renewed old memories and made some new ones in the glow of candlelight...

~And that, my dear, in what you wrote above, is among the more cherished memories that June shall have as regards this Christmas: Reading what is, in fact, such a perfect expression and sentiment of what comfort and warmth --and ultimately, this Holiday- is truly all about.

Take gentle care, with thanks and love,

-Your co-mod

Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 PM

The song that (among all Christmas songs) I have forever and always remembered, above all others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbcl0...eature=related

Thank you, Ted. -Without whom I would have never known, much less understood the real meaning behind those lyrics. I still remember you, Daddy...

Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm back in my home office after the 4th time of blowing snow.
We have a blizzard warning here in maryland.

I was listening to this, as I looked out my office window at the falling snow, trees beautifully draped in white, and scores of birds coming to the feeder right out side the window.

The american indians wisdom and respect for the earth
continually remind me of God's awesome wonders.

Merry Christmas.
To the bold... Amen, Oakback. Me too.

Hey, oh yeah... me too on the winter storm! I'm your neighbor in VA. Woo hoo! The snow is gorgeous!

Ok, onto my song:

I love when people go crazy with lights on their house. It's just one of those weird things that just makes me genuinely just... full of glee.
Seriously.. just GLEE. lol. (and the song is cool, too. love that song.)

Peace you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1HmcvXFgaY

Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
My favorite.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
~Not that June doesn't "appreciate" the chipmunks (in a purely musical and artistic sense) --but somehow, June (in the back of her "just June" mind, at least what's left of it) somehow envisioned the "Annual Oakback Christmas Song" posting to be a bit more along the lines of.....THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLIz897DzY

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality