U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 AM

33,503 posts, read 10,940,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
But the New Testament discussion is also taken out of context and is based on the teachings of Paul, not Jesus. In case you weren't aware Paul is a human, just like you and me. Also I call myself a Christian, not a Paulian.

Oh yeah, what are your thoughts on women remaining silent? Paul didn't like that either.
If you went to seminar you would know that Paul and other authors of the Bible wrote under the authority of Christ and The Holy Spirit. Everything they wrote is the word of God.

The Bible says that women should not teach in church, and that means that they should not.

You can't simply reject the parts of the Bible you don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
You completely missed my point of looking at the original words, the context in which they were written and the context in which they should be read. Jaymax is far closer to the mark than you are.
I am afraid he is not. Sorry. The context is clear, and so it the translation.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I see that Christians who are loving and accepting of others themselves, tend to to believe in a God who is loving and accepting of all people.
He does love everyone, including gays, he just happens to hate their sin. Why? Because sin and God are incompatible. God wants to be in you, but he cannot enter unless you allow him to purge the sin out first. It is like oil and water or iron and clay. They don't mix.

Sin out, God in. That's how it works

Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I would certainly encourage you to study the Bible hermaneutically for yourself. Of course this would include doing some research into the cultures and customs in which it was written and researching secular texts of the times to compare language use.
I do. It's my favorite hobby.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Neither the context, nor the use of those words in secular texts support that particular interpretation at all.
Tell me, who decided to stop using that verse to condemn masturbators and start using it to condemn homosexuals instead?

You are really grasping at straws and it is obvious you have done little to no research on this topic.

I have done my research, and you declaring it to be incorrect doesn't make it incorrect. The Greek words used in the Bible describe the passive and active participants in anal intercourse. And the Bible adds that it is sexual perversion and honosexual perversion.

And the verses in Romans make is painfully clear what they are talking about.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-21-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 957,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have done my research, and you declaring it to be incorrect doesn't make it incorrect. The Greek words used in the Bible describe the passive and active participants in anal intercourse. And the Bible adds that it is sexual perversion.

No, you haven't done your research. The Greek words describe no such thing. I suggest you do some reading:
Paul's use of the words malakoi and arsenokoitai (http://fogarty.org/tim/gay_issues/word_arsenokoitai.html - broken link)
HOMOSEXUALITY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

And who cares what the Bible says about anything? It is a flawed, contradictory dung heap, and hardly the work of any God or being capable of creating the universe we live in. Your Bible is a plagiarized book, ripped off the religious texts of the Sumerians and Egyptians. Your Christ is also a ripoff of a score of pre-existing myths man-gods, messiahs and miracle workers

Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
And who cares what the Bible says about anything? It is a flawed, contradictory dung heap, and hardly the work of any God or being capable of creating the universe we live in. Your Bible is a plagiarized book, ripped off the religious texts of the Sumerians and Egyptians. Your Christ is also a ripoff of a score of pre-existing myths man-gods, messiahs and miracle workers
Well, if one doesn't care, then why would one insist in being Christian and go to Christian church which teaches the Bible? Just curious...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 AM

10,086 posts, read 11,355,801 times
Quote:
Well, if one doesn't care, then why would one insist in being Christian and go to Christian church which teaches the Bible? Just curious...
You just refuse to admit that you have an "opinion" regarding the Bible. Nothing is absolute. Just admit that you dislike gay people, want to oppress them, and use the Bible to justify it all?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM

15,041 posts, read 4,668,728 times
Quote:
I have done my research, and you declaring it to be incorrect doesn't make it incorrect. The Greek words used in the Bible describe the passive and active participants in anal intercourse. And the Bible adds that it is sexual perversion and honosexual perversion.

And the verses in Romans make is painfully clear what they are talking about.
Sorry, it's very obvious you haven't. Explain how your interpretation works in 1 Tim 1:10, the only other time Paul used the word arsenokoites but not malakoi? Explain why Paul didn't use the commonly used Greeks words for homosexuals? Explain why arsenokoites was never used by any of the rabidly anti-homosexual earky church fathers? Explain why malakoi and arsenokoites was never used in secular Greek literature to describe homosexuals (and there was quite a lot of it)? Explain why 1 Cor 6 was used for centuries to condemn masturbators, not homosexuals?

As for 1 Romans, why don't you tell us what the whole letter was about? Do you even know any of the pagan religious practices and customs in Rome in the 1st century?

Oh... and Peease list the "many" NT verses you think say state clearly that homosxuality is a sin.

Do you mean the verse in Jude? Tell us what you think heterosarkos means and what it is referring to?

I'd be happy yo give you a list of dozens of scholarly books on this topic that I've read. How about you name your sources for your opinion?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM

1,266 posts, read 957,715 times
Quote:
Yes, I should have said "why should anyone care?"

Anyone with a rational, informed mind that is. I know there are gullible weak-minded folks out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality