U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 11:58 AM

842 posts, read 2,882,061 times

Advertisements

I'm confused as to what the term 'Evangelical' refers to in terms of various denominations.

Obviously, Evangelical doesn't refer to Catholics, etc... But does it apply to all Protestants? Or just a certain subset of Protestant denominations (e.g. Southern Baptists, etc...)? Or is it not even broken down along denominational lines (e.g. you can have Evangelical and non-Evangelical Baptists)?

Oh...and please no flame responses like "Only [insert religion name here] are true Evangelicals because [insert something that only that religion believes]". I'd like to not start a Holy War here. I'm looking for the Peter Jennings or Tom Brokaw definition (i.e. who are they referring to when they say Evangelicals on the news?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,531,530 times
Here's what the online dictionary says:

e·van·gel·i·cal /ˌivænˈdʒɛlɪkəl, ˌɛvən-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ee-van-jel-i-kuhl, ev-uhn-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. Also, e·van·gel·ic. pertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.
2. belonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, esp. of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.
3. designating Christians, esp. of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.
4. pertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.
5. marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.
–noun 6. an adherent of evangelical doctrines or a person who belongs to an evangelical church or party.

I think there are some evangelicals in almost all Christian denominations. Somehow it's become some type of dirty word associated more with politics than of spreading the gospel of Jesus.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Here's what the online dictionary says:

e·van·gel·i·cal /ˌivænˈdʒɛlɪkəl, ˌɛvən-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ee-van-jel-i-kuhl, ev-uhn-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. Also, e·van·gel·ic. pertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.
2. belonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, esp. of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.
3. designating Christians, esp. of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.
4. pertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.
5. marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.
–noun 6. an adherent of evangelical doctrines or a person who belongs to an evangelical church or party.

I think there are some evangelicals in almost all Christian denominations. Somehow it's become some type of dirty word associated more with politics than of spreading the gospel of Jesus.
So if I understand it correctly, Evangelicals are not associated with particular denominations at all. So not all Evangelicals are Baptists, and not all Baptists are Evangelicals, right? So essentially, Evangelicals are defined as those who call themselves Evangelicals?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:25 PM
jco

2,118 posts, read 5,795,488 times
I hate to say that all Protestant denominations practice what's truly in the Bible, but I'm going to make a generalization here. Evangelical (if everyone was truly sticking to the Bible) should be a term used to describe all Protestant churches. In other words, Evangelical and Protestant should be synonyms. There are denomination names that include this word (Evangelical Free Church, for example), but this doesn't mean a Baptist church isn't evangelical. It's simply a word that refers to the gospel. All Protestant churches should refer to the gospel.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,531,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
So if I understand it correctly, Evangelicals are not associated with particular denominations at all.
So not all Evangelicals are Baptists, TRUE and not all Baptists are Evangelicals, right?
Since there are many so-called Baptists that I'm not terribly familiar with, I can't really say that. I will say that most Baptists are considered evangelical.
So essentially, Evangelicals are defined as those who call themselves Evangelicals? Not necessarily -- if one believes in a personal conversion (salvation), the teaching and absolute authority of the scriptures, I would say they are evangelicals...regardless of their denomination.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:23 PM

1,958 posts, read 4,579,626 times
The term e·van·gel means preacher of the gospel--we believe we are to declare the good news or the gospel to the whole world.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
The term e·van·gel means preacher of the gospel--we believe we are to declare the good news or the gospel to the whole world.
Sorry...but that doesn't help. Under your definition, Jehovah's Witnesses would be considered Evangelicals, since they "declare the good news or the gospel to the whole world". I don't think that this is what Tom Brokaw has in mind when he says Evangelical.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM

1,958 posts, read 4,579,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Sorry...but that doesn't help. Under your definition, Jehovah's Witnesses would be considered Evangelicals, since they "declare the good news or the gospel to the whole world". I don't think that this is what Tom Brokaw has in mind when he says Evangelical.
Well that's what it means. So Al Gore is not "acting evangelical" for preaching global warming? Sure groups can act "evangelical" but again, the Christian defination simply means to preach or declare THE gospel or good news. I mean that's what it is I don't know what your looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality