Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Why don't you try disputing what I SAID Dude...instead of YOUR dodging and side-stepping by trying to play "Pure Logical Argument Protocol Police", like you guys are infamous for doing...instead of contesting what was said? Ohhhhhh, that's right...you CAN'T argue the 10 to 1 TROUNCING your platform takes in the world arena...cuz THAT'S THE FACTS, JACK!
This is just so tiresome. I just read a really good post by you and I know you can do better. You just seem to indulge in this nonsense when you are being trashed. Like here.

"you CAN'T argue the 10 to 1 TROUNCING your platform takes in the world arena..."

Because statistics seem to show Theists outnumber atheists does not prove it true and does not disprove atheism. At one time Christians were outnumbered much more than 10-1.

Argumentum ad Populum (Appeal to Numbers)
Appeals to Authority (bandwagon fallacy): concluding that an idea has merit simply because many people believe it or practice it. (e.g., Most people believe in a god; therefore, it must prove true.) Simply because many people may believe something says nothing about the fact of that something. For example many people during the Black plague believed that demons caused disease. The number of believers say nothing at all about the cause of disease.

The truth will win in the end, no matter how long it takes.

P.s your last post. I don't post the stuff I do post to you because of your theism, or whatever. I don't even do it because it's sometimes hard to make out where you stand. I do it because of your illogical debating style. If you argue reasonably I'm sure you'll earn a lot more respect. No -one here cares about your views on how we atheists choose to go about our business. Not one of us hellspawn are going to leave because you tell us to get a life. If you have something to say, say it sensible and rationally. I'd much rather talk to you sensibly than have to smack your bot to try to get some sense into you.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-21-2010 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: P. s re your last post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Could I ask a question arising: if there is no Hell, why should anyone need to be a believer?
this objection is basically answered here:

The Most Foolish of Questions (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/mostfoolishquestion.htm - broken link)

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is just so tiresome. I just read a really good post by you and I know you can do better. You just seem to indulge in this nonsense when you are being trashed. Like here.

"you CAN'T argue the 10 to 1 TROUNCING your platform takes in the world arena..."

Because statistics seem to show Theists outnumber atheists does not prove it true and does not disprove atheism. At one time Christians were outnumbered much more than 10-1.

Argumentum ad Populum (Appeal to Numbers)
Appeals to Authority (bandwagon fallacy): concluding that an idea has merit simply because many people believe it or practice it. (e.g., Most people believe in a god; therefore, it must prove true.) Simply because many people may believe something says nothing about the fact of that something. For example many people during the Black plague believed that demons caused disease. The number of believers say nothing at all about the cause of disease.

The truth will win in the end, no matter how long it takes.

P.s your last post. I don't post the stuff I do post to you because of your theism, or whatever. I don't even do it because it's sometimes hard to make out where you stand. I do it because of your illogical debating style. If you argue reasonably I'm sure you'll earn a lot more respect. No -one here cares about your views on how we atheists choose to go about our business. Not one of us hellspawn are going to leave because you tell us to get a life. If you have something to say, say it sensible and rationally. I'd much rather talk to you sensibly than have to smack your bot to try to get some sense into you.
AWK...my posts in this thread focus mainly on my exception toward the rampant intolerance, bias, insults, criticism, and even hatred, I see here.

It's undeniable.

The "statistics", "appeals", and "motive citing", are juicy tidbits of reality/facts that are return fire...without responding in kind, launching heavy ordinance like, "You should be arrested", or, "You should not be part of the human race", or, "You should die", because you don't think the way I do, or do things I think you shouldn't do from a theological standpoint.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
this objection is basically answered here:

The Most Foolish of Questions (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/mostfoolishquestion.htm - broken link)
Along with other gems like the 'We are just the right distance from the Sun' nonsense!!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Links such as that one do nothing toward fostering any sort of tolerance, understanding or rationality. The "most foolish of questions"? Hardly, since it is in response to unproven assertions. The answers given are for believers only, and only a subset of them at that. Questioning faith is not foolish.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Links such as that one do nothing toward fostering any sort of tolerance, understanding or rationality. The "most foolish of questions"? Hardly, since it is in response to unproven assertions. The answers given are for believers only, and only a subset of them at that. Questioning faith is not foolish.
It scares me that someone would take that nonsense with a grain of sand. Saw one about a god denying Atheist that knew christ The idiots don't even have a clue.

Bunch of ignorant intolerant idiots sitting around making up crap to post expressing their intolerance of anyone not subscribing to their delusional views.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 PM

229 posts, read 332,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Along with other gems like the 'We are just the right distance from the Sun' nonsense!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It scares me that someone would take that nonsense with a grain of sand. Saw one about a god denying Atheist that knew christ The idiots don't even have a clue.

Bunch of ignorant intolerant idiots sitting around making up crap to post expressing their intolerance of anyone not subscribing to their delusional views.
I don't see what the problem is, Sven was answering the question posted by Arequipa, if there is no Hell, why should anyone need to be a believer?

I personally find your views just as intolerant as some christians, also you would still have had a problem....no matter what the response would have been

I suppose I'm delusional as well, because I do believe there is a God (although I don't espouse the fundamentalist christians version)

Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
I don't see what the problem is, Sven was answering the question posted by Arequipa, if there is no Hell, why should anyone need to be a believer?

I personally find your views just as intolerant as some christians, also you would still have had a problem....no matter what the response would have been

I suppose I'm delusional as well, because I do believe there is a God (although I don't espouse the fundamentalist christians version)
I was referencing the site linked to by svenM, now the fact he saw value in the site to link to it............. well let's just say one could better express what they believe by not linking to a site run by fundy wack jobs.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 PM

229 posts, read 332,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I was referencing the site linked to by svenM, now the fact he saw value in the site to link to it............. well let's just say one could better express what they believe by not linking to a site run by fundy wack jobs.
I think SvenM thought that the link could express the answer to the question better than he could personally answer, I have to admit though personally, that the answer given by that site makes more sense than your usual fundamentalist christian response

Ok, maybe the thread link's title wasn't very flattering, I agree, but it does address the point somewhat

Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Cienega View Post
First off - I did not intend to post this on the Christianity sub-forum ..sorry..didnt realize I was in here when I clicked submit new thread.

Like many non believers, I used to believe in God. Lets just say that I was fourteen years old, my father was a pastor and on saturday mornings I would go door to door preaching about the word of God. I know lame but at the time I honestly thought I was serving the lord.

Today I find myself in a new fascinating world that I am eager to learn about and understand much more. This video explains very well why us non believers firmly understand that such a place like hell is non existent and why the God of Abraham is false. If you do believe PLEASE watch and if you dont already believe...its a very informative video.

The video consists of three parts: 1) The claim that many scientist believe in God 2) What is Fire 3) The magician does not believe in magic

I dont have anything against religious people...I think they are awesome folks..since I was once one of them but I strongly believe that their beliefs are detrimental to the human race. Instead of worshiping God, we should be working towards the betterment of the human race. Curing cancer, aids, hiv, tuberculosis, the end to war, hunger, and global warming are just a few issues of what we humans could have already solved tens, even hundreds of years ago if we would stop believing in religion and start questioning, seeking knowledge and truth. Thanks

Well the reason you don't fear Hell, is because you never had an encounter with God. You might of had religion, yet that is about it. I have had encounters with both God and demons from Hell. And I can tell you, they do exist, and Hell is where all nonbelievers will find themselves at the end of their life. I am 60 years old, and I have had a lifetime of experiences with God and demons. When you spend your life trying to explain away God, there is a good chance you will finally convince yourself that He does not exist. Yet if you had actually search for God as Jesus commands. I have no doubt you would of found Him. My personal experiences over the years have fully convinced me that both God and Hell are real and they both exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality