Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,502,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yet.
Nonsensical. I may as well say that males give birth. You reply that this has not been shown. I say, "Yet."

Anything can be handwaved using "yet." It's not an argument, and most certainly has no place in science.

Quote:
And as discussed in another thread, arguable.
Arguable among us, yes. Among scientists, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,433,489 times
Quote:
That's a good post right there.

I asked the same question some time ago and the only sound I heard was crickets<chirp, chirp, chirp>

My question, more specifically, was who/what/when/where was natural selection renamed to microevolution. (Interesting, my spell check just highlighted that word....as if it doesn't exist.)

Anyway, seems like a word play so that at the end of the day (and this has happened to me in these forums) someone can say, 'Oh, you believe in microevolution but not macroevolution, how convenient!'(strange, my spell check did the same thing to that word, too)

Anyway, good posts mams. Wonder why no 'debunked' your links from this post??.......

I butted out of this post because it just got too frustrating. I also read one link on answeringgenesis.com and thought I was going to choke. Look, if you want, I can write a paper on how Adam and Eve actually didn't wear a fig leaf because it is disproven in the space time continuum. Someone would believe it. Especially if I used big words such as the author of the answeringgenesis site. To actually believe in that nonsense is beyond me. The whole 6000 year argument is the basis for this entire website. A 5th grader can tell you the Earth is older than that. I suppose your answer is that we have been teaching our kids out of science books that have been inaccurate for the past 200 years. Look... I'll buy into the theory that there are some things we just don't know. I'll buy into the theory that there are some unexplainable things. But, I will not buy into the theory that the earth was created 6000 years ago. Yeah you go on believing that and all praise the Hale Bop comet while you're at it.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,858,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nonsensical. I may as well say that males give birth. You reply that this has not been shown. I say, "Yet."

Anything can be handwaved using "yet." It's not an argument, and most certainly has no place in science.

Arguable among us, yes. Among scientists, no.
It's funny because I can't count how many times evolutionist will come back on a post with "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

So don't tell me 'yet' isn't an argument unless you can get your boys to quit saying it by using more words.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,502,668 times
Quote:
It's funny because I can't count how many times evolutionist will come back on a post with "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

So don't tell me 'yet' isn't an argument unless you can get your boys to quit saying it by using more words.
*scratches head*

This makes no sense, Alpha. There is no "absence of evidence" that humans and trilobites (for example) did not co-exist. There is substantial evidence that this is true. There is a complete lack of evidence to the contrary. You can't disprove this by saying "yet."

Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,433,489 times
Oh and one other thing. I checked the website pretty thoroughly and it never answered my original 6000 year question. If one day is meant to be 1000 years according to some Hebrew scholars than how can you be so callous as to assume that people living for 900 years doesn't mean they are living for a lot longer? It's in the same book. It first says 1 day. Ok, you take that to mean 1000 years. So what is a biblical Genesis year? Oh, they forgot to mention that didn't they?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,782,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh and one other thing. I checked the website pretty thoroughly and it never answered my original 6000 year question. If one day is meant to be 1000 years according to some Hebrew scholars than how can you be so callous as to assume that people living for 900 years doesn't mean they are living for a lot longer? It's in the same book. It first says 1 day. Ok, you take that to mean 1000 years. So what is a biblical Genesis year? Oh, they forgot to mention that didn't they?
GCSTroop - you are great. You ask good questions and I'm just ready to provide the answers I believe are correct. Now, whether others believe them to be correct, that's up to them.

The days in Genesis 1 are meant as literal, approx. 24-hour days, especially because they are numbered and it includes day and evening. Genesis 1:5 - God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

"Dr James Barr (Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University), who himself does not believe Genesis is true history, nonetheless admitted as far as the language of Genesis 1 is concerned that:
‘ … so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Gen. 1–11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience...'" (From AiG - www.answersingenesis.org)

Now, follow me here, in the Bible there is a passage that says a day is as 1,000 years and 1,000 years is as a day. This is in Psalms, which are poems/songs to the King (God) and are written in that style. That verse is a simile and is meant to describe how God is outside time. God created time so he is outside of time so to Him, from His perspective, a day is as 1,000 years and 1,000 years is as a day. In the context in which it was written it was not meant to define the length of a day.

For the chronology question of how we believe approx. 6,000 yrs old please read this article: http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea...archbishop.asp

Thanks again for the good questions. Hope I cleared some things up for you.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
GCSTroop,

I'm not sure who this is directed at. All you guys know I believe in a literal 6 days of creation. Is this for a someone several pages back? Just checking, I know you, montanaguy, and stretch have had this conversation so I can only assume that there's someone else you're directing this at.

Let me know.

EDIT: Figured it out. Forget this one.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
GCSTroop - you are great. You ask good questions and I'm just ready to provide the answers I believe are correct. Now, whether others believe them to be correct, that's up to them.

The days in Genesis 1 are meant as literal, approx. 24-hour days, especially because they are numbered and it includes day and evening. Genesis 1:5 - God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

"Dr James Barr (Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University), who himself does not believe Genesis is true history, nonetheless admitted as far as the language of Genesis 1 is concerned that:
‘ … so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Gen. 1–11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience...'" (From AiG - www.answersingenesis.org)

Now, follow me here, in the Bible there is a passage that says a day is as 1,000 years and 1,000 years is as a day. This is in Psalms, which are poems/songs to the King (God) and are written in that style. That verse is a simile and is meant to describe how God is outside time. God created time so he is outside of time so to Him, from His perspective, a day is as 1,000 years and 1,000 years is as a day. In the context in which it was written it was not meant to define the length of a day.

For the chronology question of how we believe approx. 6,000 yrs old please read this article: http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea...archbishop.asp

Thanks again for the good questions. Hope I cleared some things up for you.
Also, Exodus 20 says
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."
Clearly talking about 24 hour days....unless we want a 1000 yr Sabbath...which actually sounds pretty good to me!!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 PM

740 posts, read 2,010,585 times
It would take a lot more for me to believe that I am a descendent of an ape, than it would for me to believe that there is a God in heaven who made each able to reproduce more of its own kind

I also have a problem with setting a bunch of chimps in front of typewriters and then expecting them to produce literary works of art.. but that's just simple me.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
I also have a problem with setting a bunch of chimps in front of typewritters and then expecting them to produce litiary works of art.. but thats just simple me.
ibcwife, you don't like my posts!! And here I am peck, peck, peckin' away!

(I'm kidding of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality