Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
You realize that just because YOU are Christians doesn't mean your children will be too. Even if you do your darndest to raise your children in the Christian faith is no guarantee they will follow. And since the outcome of not being a Christian is an eternity of suffering, why risk bringing a child into the world who just may spend forever in the lake of fire?

What say ye, Moderator cut: deleted reference ?
How do you think religions remain viable?

Missionary work only goes so far, and conversion at sword point is pretty much eliminated, on a large scale anyways, in these modern times.

Indoctrination of the young still works quite well, to the point where science, facts, and just plain logic can be ignored in many cases.

Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
However Satan who intended to put his throne above God's,
Are you referring to this guy? The Lucifer Myth

Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Calling the question "moronic" and "stupid" is a cop-out. What is obvious is that many Christians don't want to face the implications of their beliefs, and they don't like to be confronted with them either.
Good call. Christians don't want to confront challenges.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
How do you think religions remain viable?

Missionary work only goes so far, and conversion at sword point is pretty much eliminated, on a large scale anyways, in these modern times.

Indoctrination of the young still works quite well, to the point where science, facts, and just plain logic can be ignored in many cases.

Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I would say the only hope to expand followership IS missionary work - especially in the third world.

Missionaries are the modern day crusaders with gifts/bribes. The low hanging fruit offers expansion via reproduction when populations are decreasing in the west. In the poorer target audience, there is less internet / science/ open-mindedness to works against, so conversions are easier. Ironic, that once they are introduced to christianity, they will go to hell (in theory) unless they convert. So, missionaries - by their own logic - are creating hell-bound people (cannot convert 100%) but are at least getting brownie points from their lord.

OP- expansion - especially via third world kids - is a good way to grow the herd. Maybe that is another reason why pope does not like condoms even in HIV-infested Africa - which, to me, is the same as being a murderer because of the influence he has.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-30-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 976 times
I'm glad you have a clear conscious that you have brought offspring into this world that definitely some will go to he'll for eternity.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
You realize that just because YOU are Christians doesn't mean your children will be too. Even if you do your darndest to raise your children in the Christian faith is no guarantee they will follow. And since the outcome of not being a Christian is an eternity of suffering, why risk bringing a child into the world who just may spend forever in the lake of fire?

What say ye, Moderator cut: deleted reference ?
Oh my gosh... Some people are so stupid. I'm a Christian with two grown children, neither of whom is religious in the slightest. It has never even crossed my mind that either of them is going to spend eternity in some fiery hell. I love them just the way they are and so does God. How do people come up with these idiotic stereotypes?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Missionaries are the modern day crusaders with gifts/bribes...
Not to mention that the Crusaders spread the faith by the sword, as the Muslims are doing in modern times (at least in the Western world they are modern).

Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
No it really is a stupid question....
It would about be like saying "why do atheists have kids when they know the odds of them eventually dying a painful death." People aren't think of ultimate endings when deciding to have kids.
They should be. Like having lots of kids in a country where starvation is rampant. Not smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Even if there might be some kind of logic to it people, actual people not odd creations of abstract logic, don't work like this. They don't calculate the odds of a car accident then decide not to drive or what have you. They have unprotected sex without thinking much or at all about the ultimate metaphysical ending of whatever child may occur due to the act. So you're almost asking "If some kind of biological android became a Christian why would it do X?" And I don't think it's necessary for Christians to answer question so bizarrely hypothetical. Antlered C's response of essentially pointing and laughing at it is really the more sensible approach, even then what I'm doing.
The point you make above is not a bad one, but it makes my point too. Most Christians mentally assent that the vast majority of humans wind up in a place of eternal torment ("few there be who find it") yet it means so little to them that it's not even considered when having kids. This tells me that hey don't really believe it.

ALL the other scenarios you give result in temporary suffering (or death with no suffering) PLUS the vast bulk of humanity do not get STDs or get killed in car wrecks, only a small percentage.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Calling the question "moronic" and "stupid" is a cop-out. What is obvious is that many Christians don't want to face the implications of their beliefs, and they don't like to be confronted with them either.
Well, I wasn't the one who called the question "moronic" or "stupid," but I think it is. The reason I say this is that there are a great many Christians who don't even believe in an everlasting Hell. For the most part, Christians have children for the same reason everybody else in the world does.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Was this creation ultimately made for us or made for God?

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:" Colossians 1:16 KJV

We have been created to bear fruit as a branch of the vine (Jesus).

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. if a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." John 15:4-6 KJV

While "be fruitful and multiply" was a commandment in the old testament, Jesus did say this in the new:

"For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." Matthew 19:11-13 KJV

As you read in Matthew 19:1-11, it's clear an "eunuch" is talking about being single or celibate.

Marriage is God's institution as well as the family. The more you read the Bible, the more you see how God views this union. For example the Church is described as his "bride."

The man of the house is to be a man of God. The family ordained by God.
Man is to be the provider of the household
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." 1 Timothy 5:8

He's to love his wife as they are one body
"So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh." Ephesians 5:28-31

Be loving towards wife
"Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them." Colossians 3:19

He's to honor his wife and her role
"Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered." 1 Peter 3:7

His role as authority of household and expected behavior in that position
"Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) 1 Timothy 3:3-5

Wife submits to authority of the husband as the God ordained authority
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Ephesians 5:22

This was all ordained this so the family would protect little Joey from the spiritual darkness of the world. Now we don't have anyone watching over little Joey. We don't have the time so he watches Harry Potter for the tenth time because he's bored and learns all about witchcraft. He comes home from school getting a 100 percent in how evolution works - indoctrinating him into the lie. could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality