U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 PM

3,553 posts, read 3,002,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I homeschooled my kids for about 4 years and it was great. They are now back in public school and are happy so I think homeschooling and school are both good. Now about my knowledge about the folks who I knew who homeschooled for religious reasons.

They had issues with all public education for religious reasons ie no Christianity in the schools. Some of them even had issues with a multi- cultural aspect of school and the teaching respect for other cultures and religions. They tended only to socialize with those who shared their beliefs and thus formed their own groups or if they were in a secular type homeschooling group they would isolate themselves into a group of folks who were like minded. Most Christians formed their own homeschooling groups that only allowed their kids to interact with other kids who had the same type of Christianity. Most were evangelical/fundementalist type Christians. It was the one aspect of homeschooling I hated. Kids who grow up in this type of environment are not ready for the real world.
What you call real is actually a matter of perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM

4,529 posts, read 3,233,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Home schooled kids do not learn the basic interactive social skills of children raised in a public school system.

This isn't something that can be taught, it must be learned by doing.

This inability to interact properly with peers will effect a homeschooled child, especially one who has been isolated by their religious parents and only permitted to interact with children of like minded parents, not only in the work place, but in their personal life as well.

They will never learn to interact properly with people of the opposite gender.

So yeah, homeschooled and isolated children will enver be able to operate in the real world. They won;t be able to keep jobs, nor stay in a stable relationship, and be absolutely freindless.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 PM

600 posts, read 856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Home schooled kids do not learn the basic interactive social skills of children raised in a public school system.

This isn't something that can be taught, it must be learned by doing.

This inability to interact properly with peers will effect a homeschooled child, especially one who has been isolated by their religious parents and only permitted to interact with children of like minded parents, not only in the work place, but in their personal life as well.

They will never learn to interact properly with people of the opposite gender.

So yeah, homeschooled and isolated children will enver be able to operate in the real world. They won;t be able to keep jobs, nor stay in a stable relationship, and be absolutely freindless.
Well with all due respect, you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

I live in a community in which homeschooling is very popular and the church I attend also has a lot of homeschoolers. I know lots and lots of homeschooled kids (all grades) that are perfectly normal, very intelligent and can interact just fine with their peers and adults as well.

So, contrary to what you may think, children can and do learn how to act properly in society without the benefit of public school education.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,042,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post

I live in a community in which homeschooling is very popular and the church I attend also has a lot of homeschoolers. I know lots and lots of homeschooled kids (all grades) that are perfectly normal, very intelligent and can interact just fine with their peers and adults as well.

So, contrary to what you may think, children can and do learn how to act properly in society without the benefit of public school education.

Yes but are they taught legitimate science and history curriculum or creationist/Christian misinformation & propaganda? If the latter, they may have no issues interacting with other children and adults similarly indoctrinated but they will have difficulty with the outside (real) world and those in it educated with legitimate/factual curriculum.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,629,414 times
Quote:

Most of the homeschooled kids I knew didn't have the social skills to interact with a large group of kids in a group setting because they only were in small groups and not with a wide range of kids. They also didn't really understand peer interaction because they interacted with grown ups most of the time. I found many of them to not understand how to get along with kids who were different because most of their parents made sure they only interacted with kids who were like them. I also found many of them not to know how to behave in a group setting because they were not in group settings very often.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Yes but are they taught legitimate science and history curriculum or creationist/Christian misinformation & propaganda?

No, the folks I knew who were homeschooling for Christian reasons made sure they had a Christian curriculum and that was evangelical/fundamentalist. Everything was tied to the bible and the girls were not taught they could be anything they wanted but they were taught to be good housewives so they could be good helpmates in a marriage.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I disagree..... Kids who grow up so sheltered they cant watch tv, or play with kids who are different and are kept in a bubble to be protected are not going to be ready for the real world because they have no idea what life is like in a multi religious/cultural society. Its important to interact with people of different cultures and religions, to be part of groups where you learn in a group. Its important to gain knowledg and not just from one perspective but to learn how to think. Its not just my perception, I have traveled the homeschooling road and also the public school road and my kids have become well rounded ad it wasn't from homeschooling.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:

How do you know?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Bad idea in my opinion if it is for religious reasons and this is the sort of things they are taught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH_wPUVlJ38

This video is scary but its how evangelical homeschoolers are taught. Not to search for the truth and to reject anything thats not within what they are taught at home.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,281,429 times
I'll add my 2c

I was an administrator at an xian school that had adopted some weird USA xian curriculum. Being a small school, they were on the church grounds with no extramural activities. One of the elders daughters graduated and wanted to study medicine, The govt, recognized her ed but she then had to do something like your SAT's she wrote 3 times and failed 3 times. She is now a till operator in a supermarket.

In fact all the kids that were in that school were disadvantaged by the time they left school. They even tried an alternative to the public school teaching the same subjects on the public curriculum but all that did was attract the drop-outs from the public school system and never worked as the church could not pay comparable teacher's salaries and the few qualified teacher we had, all female were not really that good or clued up, the failure rate of these students was very high.

With the pastor he and I closed the school down and all that is left is a nursery school.

I agree with those that say kids are disadvantaged having seen so many cases personally, in the end it is all about wringing a few extra bob out of the parishioners.

The school started with the entry level grades and then progressed year by year to the higher grades, by the time it came to graduation classes, it was too late for many, it does not work. Our public school system is not the best in the west and only those that can afford the elite boarding schools get the best ed, all however write the same exams.

The public school system here requires active parent participation unlike what I had in Zimbabwe pre independence where the schools took care of everything and education was to international standards - those were the good ol' days.

Having seen twaddle like conservipedia as alternative to wiki, I can see how the folk are dumbing down the kids. I am sure the majority use the public system and has been stated, burger flippers and till operators are needed too so I guess the conservatives will keep this need met with their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality