Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 PM

598 posts, read 917,190 times

Advertisements

It matters not to me -- I am an atheist -- I'd think most Christians would ask "are we saved yet?" just about every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 04:36 PM

391 posts, read 513,531 times
If the idea you have in your mind that there is nothing to be saved from then an explaination is redundant. I feel that I am saved (and I don't question it daily) because I believe in the teachings of Jesus. But, can you agrue with the teachings? Is being fair and open with other humans a blessing? I do know the facts: people who have faith in something beyond this world live longer, have better family relations, have better health, are happier, etc... So, logically it makes sense to to be religious. And, those people are saved from, at least, human weakness and early death.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I do know the facts: people who have faith in something beyond this world live longer, have better family relations, have better health, are happier, etc... So, logically it makes sense to to be religious.
If believing in Santa Claus caused you to live longer, would you believe in Santa Claus? If believing 2 + 2 = 5 caused you to live longer, would you believe 4 + 4 = 10?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
I feel that I am saved (and I don't question it daily) because I believe in the teachings of Jesus. But, can you agrue with the teachings?
Why are christians in prison at a higher percentage than atheists?

The results of the Christians vs atheists in prison investigation.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:47 PM

598 posts, read 917,190 times
All Christians have lifetime sins -- they can never be "saved" and be separated from their religion(there is no light at the end of tunnel "Oh I'm saved and done with faith"). They have been taught they are born miserable people waiting to be "saved". But they can ever be saved, so they have to be in the religion all their lives.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 AM

You mean there's no Santa!!!!! Forget it, I don't believe in anything anymore so I won't go to prison and live with a lifetime of sins as a miserable "unsavable" piece of trash. Thank you for all your logical reasoning. Hallelujah! I mean... Uh, what do I mean? Help me out, I'm not used to this free thinking liberated lifestyle.

Does this fit your picture of me?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
You mean there's no Santa!!!!! Forget it, I don't believe in anything anymore so I won't go to prison and live with a lifetime of sins as a miserable "unsavable" piece of trash. Thank you for all your logical reasoning. Hallelujah! I mean... Uh, what do I mean? Help me out, I'm not used to this free thinking liberated lifestyle.

Does this fit your picture of me?
Pretty much, since your faith has several clear contradictions that are never taken into consideration nor ever answered.

Christianity didn't start until app. 2000 years ago. What of the billions of people who lived before then, or the one third of non-Christians today, or the "heathens who haven't been taught the words of Christ"?

They get a Free Ride? If a Free Ride, why not everyone else who isn't a Christian? If some get a Free Ride, and some don't... well you can hopefully see the contradiction there.

Last edited by AxisMundi; 01-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: confusing typos

Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
It matters not to me -- I am an atheist -- I'd think most Christians would ask "are we saved yet?" just about every day.
Isn't the answer obvious? How do you control and manipulate people if the whole story actually said:

And god created the earth, then commanded all life on the planet to live, breed, and die in a 4.5 billion year long chain of everchanging species, and left to create more of the universe. The End

The "be saved by Jesus" is just another flaming hoop for needy people to jump through.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:04 PM

We all apparently have our own set of BELIEFS. I was just answering the original post to explain mine. So, answer a question for me. Why do all the self-proclaimed atheists argue their beliefs as ardently as any Evangelist I’ve ever met? Are you trying to save Christians from their delusional beliefs? Will you feel satisfaction if I were to truly denounce my religion? Would the US be better off if the practice of any religions was forbidden (perhaps like China, Cuba or North Korea) so that we could all be free from Christian or any other religious tyranny? Just curious.

needy and looking for answers

Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
We all apparently have our own set of BELIEFS. I was just answering the original post to explain mine. So, answer a question for me. Why do all the self-proclaimed atheists argue their beliefs as ardently as any Evangelist I’ve ever met? Are you trying to save Christians from their delusional beliefs? Will you feel satisfaction if I were to truly denounce my religion? Would the US be better off if the practice of any religions was forbidden (perhaps like China, Cuba or North Korea) so that we could all be free from Christian or any other religious tyranny? Just curious.

needy and looking for answers
I'm not an Atheist, but I've seen enough of their answers.

Firstly, Atheists (and we non-Abrahamic Theists) act purely out of defense. You simply won't find Atheists on your doorstep or accosting you on the street, unless it's some social experiment, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wgn-9Y3c

Secondly, there simply isn't some "anti-religion" agenda in the US. There is an ongoing effort to remove religion from those areas it has crept into where it doesn't belong, such as our laws, public schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality