Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,039,997 times

Advertisements

A moral person is a person that understands that the universe does not revolve around their ego.
A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one person or group of people.
The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.

Ancient upper class society was divided into 2 groups.
Soldiers whose job it was to enforce the laws of Civility & Teachers whose job it was to teach the laws of morality.

Religion is the bastard child of both of these groups and therefore combines characteristics of both. I would describe it as militaristic morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 06:43 PM

A theist is someone that believes that God exists.
An atheist is someone that believes God does not exist.
The truth is you shouldn't believe anything. You should always know.

If I have a coin with two heads and I flip it then I know that it will land heads.

If it has one heads and one Tails then I don't know what it will land but I still know the probability Is 50/50.

If I don't know how many heads or tails the coin has then I don't know what the probability is but I still know what the Bayesian probability is. Bayesian probability is the degree to which you expect something.

At no point is it necessary to believe anything.

Believing = thinking you know
Instead of "thinking you know" you should instead "know that you think" ( or more exactly "know that you expect")

Old 12-31-2017, 06:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 27,254,775 times
Looks like you like that coin example.

Granpa, here's food for thought.
Humanity always was.
Civilizations cycle in roughly great cycles of about 12 000 years.
So do religions.
Some civilizations, like those of enlightened monarchs, had no religions. Enlightened civilization does not need a religion. It KNOWS, using your term.

I get what you say. I actually do. Only issue is, you have very limited concept of what human is, humanity is, world is. That pigeonholes you into very narrow mindset.

Work on it. Also, you finally started getting out of those charts of yours. Independent thinking is waking up?

Old 12-31-2017, 07:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,481,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
A moral person is a person that understands that the universe does not revolve around their ego.
A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one person or group of people.

Soldiers whose job it was to enforce the laws of Civility & Teachers whose job it was to teach the laws of morality.

Religion is the bastard child of both of these groups and therefore combines characteristics of both. I would describe it as militaristic morality.
give me washington, lincoln, Lee, and sherman any day of the week. They had a clear understanding of how things are. "deserves" got nothing to do with"it".

Old 12-31-2017, 07:16 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,011,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
give me washington, lincoln, Lee, and sherman any day of the week. They had a clear understanding of how things are. "deserves" got nothing to do with"it".
I somewhat agree, at least with Washington. Our first leader was unlike all the rest. I love how he was against political parties, and tried to steer people away from that. Of course, people ignored his warnings and did it anyway over time.

Ben Franklin was another great man who could envision all the best of the country.

Militaristic morality has crept in strongly over the past 40 years. Look at the 80s, the Gulf War, the response to 9/11, the stirrings of antagonism and irritation of other countries this year.

This really is less of a religion/spirituality thread, and more of a History subforum thread.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Only issue is, you have very limited concept of what human is, humanity is, world is. That pigeonholes you into very narrow mindset.
I have no idea what you were trying to say

Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Work on it. Also, you finally started getting out of those charts of yours. Independent thinking is waking up?
If you wanted to know if I created those charts myself all you had to do was ask. There was no need to be sneaky about it.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 27,254,775 times
What's there to call sneaky? And I really care less about those charts, though, from simple appreciation of effort put into them, they are grand. They remind me of sand mandalas. Maybe they should end same way?

As of #6. In order to understand how it all ticks, one needs to know knowledge on what a human is; what humanity is; how everything operates. Otherwise, one sees only one piece of mosaic called Reality. That's all I was saying. I finally started seeing some posts that look like they came from your heart, not just sand mandalas, copy pasted from place else. I hoped that you finally started developing your OWN thinking, not borrowed from dead scrolls. That's all I was saying. You last several posts... They are emotional. Something is changing in you.
This is good.

there is no reason to be offended. I'd take one honest post for ten borrowed wisdoms.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM

18,839 posts, read 6,856,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

You've got some interesting opinions here. Why should we believe them?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You've got some interesting opinions here. Why should we believe them?
A theist is someone that believes that God exists.
An atheist is someone that believes God does not exist.
The truth is you shouldn't believe anything. You should always know.

If I have a coin with two heads and I flip it then I know that it will land heads.

If it has one heads and one Tails then I don't know what it will land but I still know the probability Is 50/50.

If I don't know how many heads or tails the coin has then I don't know what the probability is but I still know what the Bayesian probability is.

At no point is it necessary to believe anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality