Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,208,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I'm sure your group means well however you are helping people to break the law...you are helping them maintain their presence in a country illegally.
So what you are saying is if you saw a hungry child you would not feed it because it's parents brought them here illegally???

wow I didn't think you needed to be religious at all to get that one

aren't they of the human race?
Is there blood not red?

besides it really doesn't matter they would be here anyway I don't think me buying there children a happy meal was their deciding factor on coming to America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Another piece of "advice" for you... there's a saying that I'm always hearing Christians use (though not all actually follow it) - "Hate the sin, not the sinner." So you can still be against the act of illegal immigration, and the politics behind it, but you don't have to hate the people. They are still humans, and deserve to be treated with respect and kindness.

Oh, and thanks to Jeep & jco for helping me reach 500 rep points!
Thank you for saying that. I was just thinking myself a hyprocrite for feeling like I have. But, when I read your post, I realized, it is not the people per say, it is the fact that laws were broken and I can be against that while knowing I would in a heartbeat feed someone who was hungry or give them clothes.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:08 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,114 times
Sometimes I have to take a look inside my own self and point out my own shortcomings before I point the finger at someone else. Laws are broken often by each of us; we may go over the speed limit and either get busted for it or not, roll through a stop sign or "no cop, no stop," may have an immoral streak and not say something when a clerk gives us too much change back - whatever the case may be, we all have faults and have broken a law or two, no matter how "small" they may seem to be to you - yet, may be "big" to another. Punishing others because they came here illegally to achieve a better life for their family is not exactly the answer. I can just bet that if most of us were born on the south end of the border, we would eventually sneak over here to the US too for a more fruitful life. I know that I would (and you couldn't stop me!)

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 05-23-2007 at 04:17 AM..

Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
I'm sure your group means well however you are helping people to break the law...you are helping them maintain their presence in a country illegally.
actually in Arkansas, the state pays for dental and medical services for kids whether they are legal or not, they do not ask, and do not tell. If kids are hungry, I could care less if Im breaking a thousand laws by feeding them, cause Im gonna do it.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,541 times
I always think that it interesting when a post starts that is very similiar to something that is weighing on my heart. Just yesterday I was approached by a homeless woman in the grocery store parking lot asking for money. I have always made it a point to try to help "anyone" out who will actually come to me and ask me for money. (I have a pretty amazing story about that, I'll try to remember to put in the "testimonies" thread.) But here's my problem...I have five kids and money isn't just growing on trees in my backyard, so I really, really don't know what is right when I am approached by someone needing help. Yesterday, I looked in my purse, (now mind you, I had a car full of groceries and she had a shopping cart full of her life's stuff) I was hoping to find some singles, maybe even a $5, but all I had way a $20.00. I dug for change, usually there's alot at the bottom of my purse, but this time all I could come up with was $0.15. My heart and mind were struggling with what to do. I'm actually even embarrassed to tell you my decision (yes, I feel shame, but my mind keeps justifying my decision). I gave her the change and yes, she seemed grateful. So, tell me, what should I have done. What would you have done?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I always think that it interesting when a post starts that is very similiar to something that is weighing on my heart. Just yesterday I was approached by a homeless woman in the grocery store parking lot asking for money. I have always made it a point to try to help "anyone" out who will actually come to me and ask me for money. (I have a pretty amazing story about that, I'll try to remember to put in the "testimonies" thread.) But here's my problem...I have five kids and money isn't just growing on trees in my backyard, so I really, really don't know what is right when I am approached by someone needing help. Yesterday, I looked in my purse, (now mind you, I had a car full of groceries and she had a shopping cart full of her life's stuff) I was hoping to find some singles, maybe even a $5, but all I had way a $20.00. I dug for change, usually there's alot at the bottom of my purse, but this time all I could come up with was $0.15. My heart and mind were struggling with what to do. I'm actually even embarrassed to tell you my decision (yes, I feel shame, but my mind keeps justifying my decision). I gave her the change and yes, she seemed grateful. So, tell me, what should I have done. What would you have done?
Thats a tough decision, Ive been there, it requires a fast response too, its not something you have time to thing about because the person just walks up to you. Deep down (me anyways) thinks I have this much to last me till Friday, I have kids so im used to budgeting, so its a tough call, I would have done what you did.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Please don't feel shame over this, Weather. You did what you felt was right for you at that very moment. You have kids to take care of and you gave what you could. Sure, some might think you could have gone into the grocery store to break that twenty, but you didn't and there is nothing wrong with that. Think of it this way, the next person could have given that person a five - and your change helped pay for the tax on that person's next purchase for food or whatever they needed (the average BK value meal will run 5 dollars and a few cents) . It's all good and your 15 cents helped just the same. I would have done what you did. It's the gesture of what you did that counts and your own willingness. Thumbs up!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
So what you are saying is if you saw a hungry child you would not feed it because it's parents brought them here illegally???

wow I didn't think you needed to be religious at all to get that one

aren't they of the human race?
Is there blood not red?

besides it really doesn't matter they would be here anyway I don't think me buying there children a happy meal was their deciding factor on coming to America
I would not let anyone starve, human or animal and I think you are purposely turning my words around in order to be able to undermine what I am saying...

However the original poster has said they go WAY beyond just feeding people...I would encourage them to return home every chance I got, remind them that they are breaking the law but I would never let a human starve.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,208,783 times
Quote:
I would not let anyone starve, human or animal and I think you are purposely turning my words around in order to be able to undermine what I am saying...

However the original poster has said they go WAY beyond just feeding people...I would encourage them to return home every chance I got, remind them that they are breaking the law but I would never let a human starve.
well Lisa I didn't think you would but It sure did sound like it

Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,429 times
Remember Jco, God's law is not the same thing as the U.S. laws....so it doesn't matter to Him! If people are hungry, you should feed them. Jesus helped feed the hungry too! You are not helping anyone break the law, you are just helping them survive! They are breaking the law being here, but you are not breaking the law feeding the hungry, no matter where they are. God is in you! I believe He leads your heart to do this.....so keep taking care of them and share the love of Christ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality