U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Home of the best seafood
619 posts, read 804,403 times
Reputation: 367

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You have your right to your opinion, but you are wrong.

so you actually think people are born that way? I don't think so

something or someone influenced them to feel that way. I wonder who the heck they think move this earth on a daily basis superman? smh
They like the attention that they get when they say they don't believe in him, attention whores!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,238 posts, read 10,036,670 times
Reputation: 6533
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Goodpasture, good question. The way I see it, thoughts, love and education are broad abstract ideas. Although God may also be thought of as an abstract concept.........
Are these things real? Do they affect life? Can the effect be positive or negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
.......many people characterize God with having a form or shape or some other type of visual representation that they conceive in their mind.
I understand that, but I thought you wanted my input on what God "looked like" and I am expressing my perception. Visualizing God or the Creator as something material is simply wrong....it is childlike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
When I was a child, I thought of God as a bearded heavenly being that floated around like the clouds do. That was when I was young, and it was an idea that I formed from looking at pictures of depictions of God.
I understand the childlike analogy. but for some reason I never had that kind of visual. I knew from the outset that God was in the plants around me......that God was in the deer I hunted and the rabbit I snared....that he was in the clouds as they floated by....perceiving him as a guy with a beard or as king on a throne is nothing short of demeaning and sacrilegious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,973,226 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
I think everyone believe in God, but then you have people who like to be difficult and say they don't believe in God because of all the things that goes on in the world. I just don't believe people when they say they don't believe in God, they just can't understand life. That's my opinion and i'm sticking to it.
I don't believe in Gods nor Goddesses and I truly mean it. My definition of a God is a supernatural being who has extraordinary powers. My definition is basically the standard definition. A pantheist will say nature and the universe is god, but I see that as a clever attempt in trying to re-define the definition. The universe is the universe, no need in trying to call it god.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 01-07-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
 
1,168 posts, read 614,594 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
What is my concept of god? Honestly, I don't know. I will say this though: if there is a god/power/force/creator/whatever, it would have to be so large, so powerful, so infinite, so beyond human beings that we could not hope to truly understand it. If it is out there, then it would have to laugh at our ridiculous attempts to try to comprehend it and especially at our attempts to anthropomorphise it (this assumes that it's a sentient thing and not just a force of some sort). I don't know what "god" is, but I am convinced that if it does exist, it is way more than the prepackaged god-in-a-box most of the world's faiths present to us.

Yes I have to agree with the Box ideal...You cannot sum God up to be just mortal (image of Humankind) for God is more than Just flesh and bones...he is spirit...and a very smart one to make truth!

Now it has come to pass that we have word, from this entity God...as to how to live, that is in accordance to his liking...and what he hates or abours...
And in our history, there have been events that show what angers this entity God to extremes!
And the words of God are writen down...so we would not forget them...and they are writen in our hearts and minds to some degree...to be truthful to not only God, but to eachother...for this is the kingdom.

Now some debate, some align, some try, and most fail..and some don't want to be bothered to try to know God...and others are just plain EVIL
If Jesus knows God...then he says we can too!...by following What Jesus said to do, and to uphold...

Sell it all, and give it all to the poor fools who want it...Then, and only then can one follow Jesus to the Father!...That is how one comes to know God!

Did not God create the heavens and the Earth?...So it would be prudent and wise to say God is not the universe and or the Earth...because we know God was before that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
 
Location: south saudi
169 posts, read 214,295 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Please forgive if this has been asked before; I'm new here and haven't had a chance to explore through all the posts in the forum.

I was interested in learning how the members view God in their thoughts. Do you see God as a father or grandfather-figure in the sky like in the Renaissance pictures? Or maybe you see God with a different appearance.... or possibly no-appearance? Has the way you perceive God to look changed much over your lifetime?

all right ....


“There is no god but He, the Living, the Everlasting. Slumber seizes Him

not, nor sleep. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and the earth.

Who is there that shall intercede with Him save by His leave? He knows

what lies before them, and what is after them, and they comprehend not

anything of His knowledge save such as He wills. His footstool extends

over the heavens and the earth. The preserving of them oppresses Him

not; He is the All-High, the All-Glorious.” (Quran 2:255)



jmooool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
3,621 posts, read 2,934,043 times
Reputation: 2031
Morgan Lander is god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcveimnxUY

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 01-07-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US
2,022 posts, read 1,512,528 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Are these things real? Do they affect life? Can the effect be positive or negative?


I understand that, but I thought you wanted my input on what God "looked like" and I am expressing my perception. Visualizing God or the Creator as something material is simply wrong....it is childlike.


I understand the childlike analogy. but for some reason I never had that kind of visual. I knew from the outset that God was in the plants around me......that God was in the deer I hunted and the rabbit I snared....that he was in the clouds as they floated by....perceiving him as a guy with a beard or as king on a throne is nothing short of demeaning and sacrilegious.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US
2,022 posts, read 1,512,528 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post

She sure rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
3,621 posts, read 2,934,043 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
so you actually think people are born that way? I don't think so

something or someone influenced them to feel that way. I wonder who the heck they think move this earth on a daily basis superman? smh
They like the attention that they get when they say they don't believe in him, attention whores!!
The opposite is true. People are born with no belief in a god thing. It's only when someone influences/tells them to believe in god. A five year old isn't up to three oreos a day, yet you think they deep down believe in a divinity. That's simple nonsense. Children don't have enough experience to thoughtfully make up their mind about the issue. You also make a couple of fallacies in your argument. The first is that you make the presumption that the world is run by 'someone' rather than the physical laws that govern the universe. While we don't know exactly what nature is made of, it would be irrational to assert it is a supernatural entity because there's no evidence that proves such a being/force exists. The other fallacy in your argument is that you make the assumption that atheists deep down believe in a god thing, and when they say they don't believe, it is merely because they want attention. This is false and just shows your ignorance of atheism/atheists. Are you seeking attention when you say you don't believe in the existence of the 2999 other gods worshipped on the planet? Just as you deep down don't believe in all other gods except your own, atheists don't actually believe in your god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
12,426 posts, read 6,283,999 times
Reputation: 19405
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Please forgive if this has been asked before; I'm new here and haven't had a chance to explore through all the posts in the forum.

I was interested in learning how the members view God in their thoughts. Do you see God as a father or grandfather-figure in the sky like in the Renaissance pictures? Or maybe you see God with a different appearance.... or possibly no-appearance? Has the way you perceive God to look changed much over your lifetime?
well the way i see it , god is like a big kid in a laboratory.. and we are one of the experiments, he's still tinkering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top