Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
No an accurate descriptions would be Muslims are ignorant and are usually delusional about their beliefs about Allah. Being ignorant does not make you stupid. The Abrahamic gods can be disproved by the story written about them. If you wish to discuss that further create another thread.

Now, when someone describes their god as the "creator of the big bang", then it is a claim that can not be proven true or false at this point of time.

But again, I don't need to disprove an opinion such as this, all I need to point out that there is no evidence for such and opinion, so I should fall back on the default position of not believing. Now you can be nonsensical and accept such a claim, or you could accept that if you decided to accept claims that are not based on evidence, you will be labeled "gullible" and should not be insulted when someone does.
I do not wish to disuss the Abrahamic gods, thank you. I am merely pointing out the types of things that are used as insults. Maybe, I should have been clearer. There are words, such as delusional and stupid, that have negative connotations and show disdain for the person being addressed. I believe that one can address another without using these negative words, if they have a large enough vocabulary. I think that there are many posters that are just looking to pick a fight and insult one another. I personally like to have a lively disscussion in which a level of respect is shown to the opinions of another. Some look down on this and say "oh, Miss politically correct." I look at it and say polite. But, then again I accept everyone has the right to their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:31 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
The fool hath said in his heart there is no god.

Brood of vipers, you white washed tombs....

All good when insults come from xians or their perspectives...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post

Brood of vipers, you white washed tombs....

All good when insults come from xians or their perspectives...

Yes their insults are acceptable but ours are not....I guess because the sacred book is full of insults. That makes it a okay!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM

119 posts, read 197,143 times
What a stupid idiotic thread....oh wait, sorry I forgot that people have the right not to be insulted. My bad.

The only right any of us really have is the right to die. That one you can't even really use whenever you want if you aren't careful. If you mess up they might lock you in a rubber room and keep you alive.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 PM

125 posts, read 301,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I do not wish to disuss the Abrahamic gods, thank you. I am merely pointing out the types of things that are used as insults. Maybe, I should have been clearer. There are words, such as delusional and stupid, that have negative connotations and show disdain for the person being addressed. I believe that one can address another without using these negative words, if they have a large enough vocabulary. I think that there are many posters that are just looking to pick a fight and insult one another. I personally like to have a lively disscussion in which a level of respect is shown to the opinions of another. Some look down on this and say "oh, Miss politically correct." I look at it and say polite. But, then again I accept everyone has the right to their opinion.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
My point is what is stopping someone from think these "politically correct" terms as an insult.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyman5001 View Post
What a stupid idiotic thread....oh wait, sorry I forgot that people have the right not to be insulted. My bad.

The only right any of us really have is the right to die. That one you can't even really use whenever you want if you aren't careful. If you mess up they might lock you in a rubber room and keep you alive.
Oh ow, that was a hurtful insult... lol.

I'm not so sure about the dying part, but that's another topic.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times
OK... Maybe it's just the teacher in me that makes me think of the "rules for fighting fair". You are so correct, it is not a "right" NOT to be insulted, or even verbally assulted. I just feel that it hinders the open flow and exchange of ideas. I am (even the xian that I am) willing to listen and debate the question of religion with an open mind. I am willing to accept that people will quote other sources and casually link them to me (brood of vipers???..etc. ) based on who you think I am. But, my question is would you be willing to do the same? Would you put down your defenses and give a clear open answer to an honest question? I have yet to see much of that happen. I have seen all sides in these disscussions fall back on insulting and name calling. Dispite that, I have found some very interesting ideas and have decided to continue to read and post on these threads. I always try to post my opinions as such (opinions) and do not make any attempt to preach or condemn anyone for their opinons and only hope that others will see that I am interested in a real exchange of ideas and not a playground spat.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
You can quote anyone you want about that topic, but as catchy as it may seem it doesn't make it right.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
OK... Maybe it's just the teacher in me that makes me think of the "rules for fighting fair". You are so correct, it is not a "right" NOT to be insulted, or even verbally assulted. I just feel that it hinders the open flow and exchange of ideas. I am (even the xian that I am) willing to listen and debate the question of religion with an open mind. I am willing to accept that people will quote other sources and casually link them to me (brood of vipers???..etc. ) based on who you think I am. But, my question is would you be willing to do the same? Would you put down your defenses and give a clear open answer to an honest question? I have yet to see much of that happen. I have seen all sides in these disscussions fall back on insulting and name calling. Dispite that, I have found some very interesting ideas and have decided to continue to read and post on these threads. I always try to post my opinions as such (opinions) and do not make any attempt to preach or condemn anyone for their opinons and only hope that others will see that I am interested in a real exchange of ideas and not a playground spat.
As soon as you express your opinion, you must accept that someone will have and opinion on your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality