U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

24,056 posts, read 16,689,476 times
Default Christian Fundamentalist or Extremist

Which are you?

These criteria identify a Christian fundamentalist.

1 Biblical Inerrancy/Literalism (at least with regard to creation)
2 Evangelism
3 Premillenialism (expectation of second coming, rapture, etc.)
4 Separatism/Sense of Persecution

The following are the additional criteria met by Christian extremists:

1 Exclusivity (conviction that those who do not share their religious viewpoint are not "real" Christians)
2 Other-Condemnation (intolerance and condemnation of the other)
3 Anti-Intellectualism (especially with regard to science)
4 Social Conservatism and Anti-Liberalism
5 Theocratic Strivings (biblical law takes precedence over secular law)
6 Opposition to Modernism
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,530,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Which are you?

These criteria identify a Christian fundamentalist.

1 Biblical Inerrancy/Literalism (at least with regard to creation)
2 Evangelism
3 Premillenialism (expectation of second coming, rapture, etc.)
4 Separatism/Sense of Persecution

The following are the additional criteria met by Christian extremists:

1 Exclusivity (conviction that those who do not share their religious viewpoint are not "real" Christians)
2 Other-Condemnation (intolerance and condemnation of the other)
3 Anti-Intellectualism (especially with regard to science)
4 Social Conservatism and Anti-Liberalism
5 Theocratic Strivings (biblical law takes precedence over secular law)
6 Opposition to Modernism
A Christian by definition alone is an extremist or as a fundamentalist. Jesus believed in the fundamentals of the bible.

1. The bible in inerrant and must be read literally. This is Jesus' claim. He supported the history of creation and Adam/Eve, Noah, The Flood, etc.
2. Evangelism, Yes. Jesus said go into all the world... This is the basis of all evangelism.
3. Jesus is going to return. I prefer to say Pan-millenialism (It'll all Pan out in the end).
4. Jesus said that those who believed in him would be persecuted. He said to be separate from the world (ungodliness/secularism).

These are Christianity based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Most of your additions are missled:
1. Jesus said not to condemn those that preached Jesus but did not follow with us. That is why, even though I am Pentecostalish, I do not condemn the Catholic, the Lutheren, the baptist, etc. (or even the Jewish though I know they need Jesus and cannot make it into heaven without him, but they have the basis for truth in the Torah). There will be many people in heaven from all walks of life and God is the Judge, not me.
2. We do not condemn others for what they believe. If they do not believe in God and his Son Jesus Christ, they are condemned already. Remember that saying: "Love the sinner, not the sin". This applies here.
3. Anti-intellectualism??? Nah, we love to learn. We just happen to know the truth so we don't buy into poorly supported hypothesis like evolution (well not all of us, but Jesus said that the very ellect will be persuaded, and they have).
4. Conservative: The majority, I say yes.
5. Theocratic strivings: The bible superceeds the law of the land, but we are to obey the law of the land as well.
6. Oposition to Modernism? Modernism is a broad topic. I don't think that there is an oposition to the movement, but certain philosopies within the movement, probably.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 AM

10,010 posts, read 11,460,553 times
Follow me, believe in me or go to hell. How much more extreme is there.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM

14,904 posts, read 6,711,746 times
Moderator cut: orphaned statement,quote was deleted

What was the thread again? Oh yes.

Well, I rather think of Fundamentalists as like atheists. One has no god - belief and the other has belief in the Bible as substantially correct, page 1 to 1,041. Other stuff may be optional, but I did read somewhere a list of tenets to which as least one Website of Fundamentalists claimed they adhered.

I remember one was something like: "No scientific evidence, of any kind, is to be given credence if it contradicts Holy Writ."

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-13-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 AM

1,266 posts, read 956,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
3. Anti-intellectualism??? Nah, we love to learn. We just happen to know the truth so we don't buy into poorly supported hypothesis like evolution (well not all of us, but Jesus said that the very ellect will be persuaded, and they have).

Fixed that for you:

3. Anti-intellectualism??? Nah, we love to learn. We just happen to know the truth so we don't buy into poorly supported hypothesis like creationism/ID (well not all of us, but Jesus said that the very ellect will be persuaded, and they have).

Or even better:

3. Anti-intellectualism??? Yes, we do hate science and education since they tend to invalidate our bronze age beliefs. We much prefer blindly following absurd, contradictory fairytales instead of accepting well supported scientific facts like evolution.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM

14,904 posts, read 6,711,746 times
Mr Blue Sky is a fully trained Theist = English translator. Why don't we collaborate on a Theist/English Phrasebook?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 AM

7,917 posts, read 10,948,082 times
Nikk wrote:
Quote:
1. The bible in inerrant and must be read literally. This is Jesus' claim. He supported the history of creation and Adam/Eve, Noah, The Flood, etc.
The Bible as we know it today didn't even exist in the time of Jesus and a great deal of it was written long after his death. I realize there were ancient religious texts that may have existed but the Christian faith and the Bible did not. It's also extremely unlikely that if Jesus did in fact exist that he would have been able to read and write.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 AM

1,266 posts, read 956,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No, he did not. He merely used them because he knew these were well known myths that the common people of the day would relate to.

Of course, the creation story, adam and eve, noah and the flood etc. were all borrowed from the more ancient Sumerian religious texts which predated the Old Testament by millenia.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Fixed that for you:

3. Anti-intellectualism??? Nah, we love to learn. We just happen to know the truth so we don't buy into poorly supported hypothesis like creationism/ID (well not all of us, but Jesus said that the very ellect will be persuaded, and they have).

Or even better:

3. Anti-intellectualism??? Yes, we do hate science and education since they tend to invalidate our bronze age beliefs. We much prefer blindly following absurd, contradictory fairytales instead of accepting well supported scientific facts like evolution.

You don't need to change what I wrote. There are not facts that support evolution, only interpretations of facts. I just have different interpretation. And it seems that the facts have a higher probability of supporting Creation then evolution. But the evolutionists have dug their trenches deep. So it's gonna take a while to root them out.

Moderator cut: attack

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: use the report function please

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Nikk wrote:

The Bible as we know it today didn't even exist in the time of Jesus and a great deal of it was written long after his death. I realize there were ancient religious texts that may have existed but the Christian faith and the Bible did not. It's also extremely unlikely that if Jesus did in fact exist that he would have been able to read and write.
Jesus did read, he read from Issaiah in the temple and was "among" the Pharases according to John the baptist. He was also called "Rabbi" meaning teacher. So he had the ability to read and write. On top of this he was able to fight the doctrine of the Pharases and silence the Sadduces using the text of the OT. This shows that he was learned in the Torah and knew it to the tense of the verb by heart.

The OT was the bible of the early Church. The NT was considered scripture imediately after it was written. And they were written in a very short period of time after the assention of Jesus to the Father. The Councils that followed where not to create a list of acceptable books as scripture, but to make of list of books that were already being used as scripture. The gnostic writtings were not included because the church simple did not use them. 1st Clement and the Sheppard of Hermas were not included because the authers did not include themselves as scripture writters, they excussed themselves. So the text includes all relevant documents of the time. The Cannon was closed and the text that we have as the OT and NT comprise the whole of scripture. The apocrapha books included in the Catholic bible are not scripture, but were included for the sake of completeness. They are considered duterocannonical (seccond level) if any thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality