U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 PM

3,334 posts, read 3,355,873 times

Advertisements

Robertson is an idiot posing as a moron.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM

8,267 posts, read 2,236,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Odd, there are four or more threads on this dork on C-D, and yet I have only counted about 4 or 5 folk claiming to be christian coming out and condemning him.

I guess the deafening silence must mean they, the majority, condone his assertions??
No way do I condone his assertions. Being Christian, let me make this crystal clear: Pat Robertson does not speak for all Christians. He does not speak for me at all. Actually he speaks for very few at all. Pat Robertson is a televangelist who mainly speaks for Pat Robertson, and no one else.

Pat Robertson's sentiments on Haiti are decidedly Unchristian and not many Christians share them.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,279,807 times
OK add one more, still the overwhelming no comments from your side of the fence does infer something while the liberals, heathens et al have been very vocal.

He claims to follow christ even purports to speak on his behalf, has annual pow-wows with god etc. That sounds like a christian to me.

The only defense is like the muslim folk "it was a mistake" or "he does not speak for us all".

This was the same with Todd Bentley who wooed everyone to the latest "great move of god" and all the big leaders supported him and only later threw him under the bus. Oddly enough, there were far more outcries here on CD against the rev Todd Bentley from christians than against dear ol' Pat, maybe it was them tattoos that made him a false profit

I do know the "nobody is perfect" routine but it is of course the christian folk that claim this perfection except of course when one of them really screws up like Ted Haggard or James Swaggert that they are then suddenly not true christians(tm).

But I guess it is a catch 22 situation, condemn him/them and you kinda condemn yourselves as >90% of what he/they teach, the majority hold to in the same way. Or is it "touch not mine anointed" that stops the flock from being vocal?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:21 AM

13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Quote:
Odd, there are four or more threads on this dork on C-D, and yet I have only counted about 4 or 5 folk claiming to be christian coming out and condemning him.

I guess the deafening silence must mean they, the majority, condone his assertions??
The Christian music group Jars of Clay was critical of Robertson. Dr. R. Albert Mohler, Jr., president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary said it was embarrassing with "Theological arrogance matched to ignorance." Pastor Robert Jeffress of First Baptist Church of Dallas was also critical.

Divine Impulses: Jars of Clay on Pat Robertson's "excuses" - washingtonpost.com

http://www.christianpost.com/article...-curse-remark/

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-15-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The Christian group Jars of Clay was critical of Robertson. Indicating what he said was "terrible" and not representative of Christianity. I think some Christian groups that work with Haitians were also critical.

Divine Impulses: Jars of Clay on Pat Robertson's "excuses" - washingtonpost.com
Wow one example, I am impressed!

I was referring to the xian posters here who are all too vocal on issues like abortion, teh gehy, many applauded the murder of Tiller etc. It is they that are eerily silent

Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 AM

11,363 posts, read 8,098,383 times
Quote:

As a rule I don't like defining silence and then attacking it. However in this case, I would like to see more Christians step up and condemn his words. Hell, even Fox news called him on it.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Wow one example, I am impressed!

I was referring to the xian posters here who are all too vocal on issues like abortion, teh gehy, many applauded the murder of Tiller etc. It is they that are eerily silent
I mostly don't post here anymore because I feel it usually just descends into condemnation and acrimony.

I assumed you wanted official Christian responses. Mohler is a highly conservative Baptist who has stated in the past that if homosexuality is biological than it should be cured by genetic or biochemical means and that Hinduism is in some way Satanic. He also made the point that signing some Pro-Life declaration some Catholics had signed in no way represented ecumenicism or any acceptance of my religion. He even seems to say Robertson's theology is not entirely wrong and that God might in some way punish Haiti for having Voodoo. So he's certainly not like me at all.

However even he has the sense to say Robertson's remarks were arrogant and criticized them. Gary Cass is the only Christian-Right defender I've seen so far.

Associated Baptist Press - Religious Right leader defends Robertson's Haiti comment

The idea all Christians have to take responsibility for Pat Robertson is also unfair and silly. Robertson has been clear in intolerance for Catholics, Episcopalians, Methodists, Eastern Orthodox, and Presbyterians. So why would we have to feel connected to anything he says about anything? Do you have to feel responsible for every Trotskiyist just because s/he's an atheist?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 AM

50,346 posts, read 47,778,369 times
per op
by that logic pat should not be rejoicing, we are responsible for the deaths of 1 million iraqi's, who did us no harm.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I mostly don't post here anymore because I feel it usually just descends into condemnation and acrimony.

I assumed you wanted official Christian responses. Mohler is a highly conservative Baptist who has stated in the past that if homosexuality is biological than it should be cured by genetic or biochemical means and that Hinduism is in some way Satanic. He also made the point that signing some Pro-Life declaration some Catholics had signed in no way represented ecumenicism or any acceptance of my religion. He even seems to say Robertson's theology is not entirely wrong and that God might in some way punish Haiti for having Voodoo. So he's certainly not like me at all.

However even he has the sense to say Robertson's remarks were arrogant and criticized them. Gary Cass is the only Christian-Right defender I've seen so far.

Associated Baptist Press - Religious Right leader defends Robertson's Haiti comment

The idea all Christians have to take responsibility for Pat Robertson is also unfair and silly. Robertson has been clear in intolerance for Catholics, Episcopalians, Methodists, Eastern Orthodox, and Presbyterians. So why would we have to feel connected to anything he says about anything? Do you have to feel responsible for every Trotskiyist just because s/he's an atheist?
Of course they should take responsibility. We expect it of the muslim to reign in their woo woos which they equivocally do not do.

Trotskyists aka communists <> atheism and sure we will speak out against any dictatorship regimes that suppress the rights of any human beings.

Of course I do not expect any RC to be concerned what Pat says but he IS speaking for the same jesus you all worship and serve which of course leads to the problem as to where do you draw a line in the sand? Those lines do not exist, christians have more in common than what is ess minor doctrinal differences. Taking the whole belief that the Haitians "made a pact with the devil", (which is not the real story, they just did not buy into the god of the white man being the same god as they believed in) 99.99% of christians also believe in the entity of the devil and also hold pretty solid opinions concerned with the occult, in this case voodoo.

Then of course we are drawn into the obvious conundrum, what do you actually condemn? Assuming one sees this as a judgment of god, then of course the many prayers offered up mean nothing as the god has already (literally) thrown his toys out of the cot and meted out a judgment against the poorest of the poor.

Well science/secularism does not have these mental hoops to jump through, we know what caused the earthquake and no god(s) were involved.

One pair of hands working far outweighs a thousand clasped in prayer. There is a script that states ...I will show you my faith through good works... (to lazy to look it up) I wonder who the Haitians will remember? The doers or the unseen, unheard, unanswered prayers?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:47 AM

And how is this idea any more just? Thousands of parents, from the scientism-atheist perspective, have likely now lost their children forever. They will not see them again when they die and those kids' existence has permanently and irrevocably ended. Meanwhile Pat Robertson gets to be an old man with a TV show.

I know "it avoids mental hoops." I know for some people reconciling paradoxes and allegories is deeply upsetting. The idea of universal oblivion, a morally indifferent Universe, and Man as an amoral creation is preferable to "mental hoops." And if that's true for you that's nice for you I guess. I'm not interested at all though as should be obvious. I doubt many Haitians right now are all that interested either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality