Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:36 AM

22,999 posts, read 34,274,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
As we have debated in the "Free Will" thread, you have no choice. You will choose what your god has programmed you to choose. If you choose otherwise, your god is not omniscient.
If that was true it wouldn't be freewill would it, and it is freewill, we decide to either believe or not.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,215,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Again Kaykay I have to give you credit for honestly participating in the hypothetical, some don't seem to be able to play this game. And you are right you can live a happy single celibate life. Since homosexuality is not the norm and neither is living a happy single celibate life...you would still have to believe that God for some reason chose these people who are homosexual to be different from the norm of the rest of society. Why would He do that?
Wow, we would really be getting into some heavy theology there. The Bible, I think it was actually Jesus in this case, who said that some people are given to be celibate for the "sake of the Kingdom of God." Maybe this is part of where the whole celibate Catholic priesthood idea partially originates.

Beyond that, who can know why God allows any of us to face the particular challenges that we do? I know people will say I'm "copping out" here, but you see, I have this file folder and I just have to file it under "things I don't understand." After my son died, I practically slept with this book by James Dobson entitled, "When God Doesn't Make Sense." Some call this "giving God a pass" but at the end of the day, there are some things that I have to just leave in His lap.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 AM

954 posts, read 809,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If that was true it wouldn't be freewill would it, and it is freewill, we decide to either believe or not.
Well this isn't the thread to discuss it but I'll gladly take you on if you'd like to have a look at the "Free Will" thread and open it up again.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,792,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow, we would really be getting into some heavy theology there. The Bible, I think it was actually Jesus in this case, who said that some people are given to be celibate for the "sake of the Kingdom of God." Maybe this is part of where the whole celibate Catholic priesthood idea partially originates.

Beyond that, who can know why God allows any of us to face the particular challenges that we do? I know people will say I'm "copping out" here, but you see, I have this file folder and I just have to file it under "things I don't understand." After my son died, I practically slept with this book by James Dobson entitled, "When God Doesn't Make Sense." Some call this "giving God a pass" but at the end of the day, there are some things that I have to just leave in His lap.
Ok that sounds plausible to me. Comparing it to priests makes sense, and not to put words in your mouth...but in a way that would mean that these people are chosen to be different for a purpose and not to participate in sin so if it's never proven I can swallow that. But if it's proven, I personally will hold to the belief that it was interpreted wrong all along.

Thanks so much! I'm giving up on this thread because it keeps getting hijacked....and no one else wants to play the original game.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Ok that sounds plausible to me. Comparing it to priests makes sense, and not to put words in your mouth...but in a way that would mean that these people are chosen to be different for a purpose and not to participate in sin so if it's never proven I can swallow that. But if it's proven, I personally will hold to the belief that it was interpreted wrong all along.

Thanks so much! I'm giving up on this thread because it keeps getting hijacked....and no one else wants to play the original game.
Well, not all Christians agree with me, but I suspect that it WILL be proven. I just draw different conclusions about what that means.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,792,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, not all Christians agree with me, but I suspect that it WILL be proven. I just draw different conclusions about what that means.
And have the ability to explain your conclusions with out just throwing bilbe verses at it....you are one amazing woman!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
And have the ability to explain your conclusions with out just throwing bilbe verses at it....you are one amazing woman!
Oh, Irishmom, thanks, but you're embarrassing me!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,578,503 times
I'd like to throw out a thought about our sexuality. As children I don't think we're thinking in terms of physical attraction but at some point probably in our early teens it suddenly dawns on us that we're attracted to members of the opposite sex. I remember in Junior High School when it really hit me just like it does all young people. Suddenly it's all you can think about. There is no choice involved or any decision making of any kind, I was just suddenly aware that I was developing this powerful attraction to the girls at school. I'm sure that the same thing must be happening to kids who are growing up as homosexuals. It's ridiculous to say that they just sat down one day and decided to choose to be that way. That thought just doesn't make any sense and yet that's how the antigay people tend to portray sexual orientation. This whole campaign against gays is irrational and it appears to be based on the influence of religion in our society.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,129,211 times
Quote:
I think it's fine for you to see it as wrong, just not to impose that belief on others.
and just how is she imposing her beliefs on others? why is it when Christians have an opinion on homosexuality being a sin and expressing it it is always "imposing" our beliefs? I thought freedom of expression extended to everyone.....even Christians.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:13 PM

646 posts, read 1,608,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
and just how is she imposing her beliefs on others? why is it when Christians have an opinion on homosexuality being a sin and expressing it it is always "imposing" our beliefs? I thought freedom of expression extended to everyone.....even Christians.
Because christians are largely the moving force behind anti-gay marriage amendments. This is the imposition.

Moving it into the legal/political sphere is much more than free speech, it is an imposition of your will upon another, in that it circumscribes another person's choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality