U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,301,216 times

Advertisements

There are many accounts in the Bible in which God directly executed human beings by his own actions such as the flooding of the earth and drowning almost the entire human race or turning people into pillars of salt because they got a little too curious about what was happening behind them and turned around to see it. He has also ordered his followers to massacre other human beings in very barbaric ways and to haul off their possessions and women like trophies. However I can't think of any passage in the Bible that describes satan actually murdering anyone for any reason. The activities that satan is held accountable for could be more accurately described as tomfoolery than genocide. I'm thinking of such things as lusting after a woman or wishing I had as many donkeys as my neighbor (or in this day and age a car as nice as my neighbor's). In fact I can't think of anything that has been blamed on satan that could rival the wrath of God when he's in a bad mood and yet satan is the one who's supposed to be cast into the lake of fire. Does this seem strange to anyone else? Just wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM

145 posts, read 229,501 times
The concept of "Satan"/"The Devil" was a very late development in Jewish thought; and was borrowed from the concept of Persian dualism just a few hundred years before the supposed time of Jesus.

Don't believe me? Read the Bible.

DD

Old 01-15-2010, 04:44 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,563,987 times
Poor God or should I say poor us (humans) for our ignorance. The very thought that man has created and passed on these incredibly horrible and barbaric ideas about God's true nature and intention are astounding. I imagine God must feel grieved, amused, or indifferent towards these very human characterizations of him.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,271,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious Dub' View Post
The concept of "Satan"/"The Devil" was a very late development in Jewish thought; and was borrowed from the concept of Persian dualism just a few hundred years before the supposed time of Jesus.

DD
Nope. Don't believe you.
Read Enoch, Jubilees, and the Bible

Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,324,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There are many accounts in the Bible in which God directly executed human beings by his own actions such as the flooding of the earth and drowning almost the entire human race or turning people into pillars of salt because they got a little too curious about what was happening behind them and turned around to see it. He has also ordered his followers to massacre other human beings in very barbaric ways and to haul off their possessions and women like trophies. However I can't think of any passage in the Bible that describes satan actually murdering anyone for any reason. The activities that satan is held accountable for could be more accurately described as tomfoolery than genocide. I'm thinking of such things as lusting after a woman or wishing I had as many donkeys as my neighbor (or in this day and age a car as nice as my neighbor's). In fact I can't think of anything that has been blamed on satan that could rival the wrath of God when he's in a bad mood and yet satan is the one who's supposed to be cast into the lake of fire. Does this seem strange to anyone else? Just wondering.
No such creature as satan. Satan represents the adversary in each of us.

But in the scope of the bible it is said that good and evil spirits come from God... So if there is a satan , hell, etc.. God created it and is not separate from it.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
...I can't think of any passage in the Bible that describes satan actually murdering anyone for any reason. .
Begin in the beginning, at the fall, to see that Satan got the dominion over the flesh of Adam at the fall.
Gen 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: satans are evil spirits in heaven who rule from the heavenlies over the world, since Adam fell, and they have dominion under the chief Satan [the chief of the evil spirits].

Tobit, chapter 3:
7: It came to pass the same day, that in Ecbatane a city of Media Sara the daughter of Raguel was also reproached by her father's maids;
8: Because that she had been married to seven husbands, whom Asmodeus the evil spirit had killed, before they had lain with her.

Job 1:6
Now there was a day when the sons of God [Watchers/angels] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan [the slanderer/accuser] came also among them....

Job 1:12 And the LORD/YHWH said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath [is] in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
Job 2:1
Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
Job 2:6 And the LORD/YHWH said unto Satan, Behold, he [is] in thine hand; but save his life.

1Sa 18:10 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the evil spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied in the midst of the house: and David played with his hand, as at other times: and [there was] a javelin in Saul's hand.
1Sa 18:11 And Saul cast the javelin; for he said, I will smite David even to the wall [with it]. And David avoided out of his presence twice.

Cain killed Abel by letting the evil spirit [a satan, "sin"] "in the door" [accepting his accusations and murderous thoughts and jealousy]
Gen 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Jhn 8:44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode/dwelled not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,301,216 times
yeshuasavedme wrote:
Quote:
Enoch and Jubilees (whatever that is) are not part of the Bible so your sources are not from one coherent body of literature.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,350,871 times

Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
yeshuasavedme wrote:

Enoch and Jubilees (whatever that is) are not part of the Bible so your sources are not from one coherent body of literature.
I was responding to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious Dub'

And I said to Him:
Quote:
Yeshuasavedme: Nope. Don't believe you.
And Enoch is in my Bible [collection of Books] called sacred Writings [Scriptures], as it was in the early Church collections of books called sacred Scriptures and as it was always in the Jewish Ethiopian community converted to Christ in the early Church years, where they always kept it in their list [canon] of collected books [Bible] of sacred writings [Scripture].

Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,444,975 times
To me God=love and Satan is more a symbol for the ego.
Furthermore love is ego-less and the reason why Satan (or evil) succeeds 99% of the time to tempt (or trick) man in doing evil is by working on his ego.

The reason why Jesus was able to resist Satan is because he understood how Satan (read: the ego) works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality