Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:41 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
My thoughts (after having read all the posts) go back to my gut reaction... they're afraid. They are living their life how they want, by their rules. They even said they don't bother any one, they don't hate others, they just want to be respected for what they don't believe in and they profess to be happy and content. And I believe that's what they think and how they really feel about themselves.

But (and you knew it was coming..) I think they're afraid. Not of the big, bad, mean Christian person mind you, but of what we as true Christians have inside; the joy, peace, hope and the unconditional love of our Heavenly Father. They can't begin to comprehend what we have on the inside. Why can they not comprehend? Because they have excluded God from their lives. They have consciously determined He's a lie, falsehood, fraud, fake, and whatever else negative they can say for any number of reasons they have individually established for themselves. They can't understand the lives true Christians lead and it frightens them, whether they'll admit it or not. They have their intelligence and their logic and that's all they say they need. Because they don't want to believe they don't and they don't want constantly reminded of what they're rejecting. They want to remain in their world they created for themselves. Because they don't want to believe they're missing out on something spectacular. This is just my humble opinion.
I already posted my feelings about this earlier in the post but I'd like to add on a little to something that Mams said. I think Mams is right, but not in the sense that he was trying to get his point across. Personally, I think it is in human nature to want to be right, especially when it comes to matters of faith and politics. Why? Well, because these are the things that ultimately govern our lives and, to some, our after-lives. No one ENJOYS being proved wrong or being told they are wrong. That goes for religion as well as it does when talking about cars and you name the wrong size engine and someone points it out. You kind of go "Gee, that sounded so dumb of me." I think that's built into us as humans so that we can fit into the societal norm.

So, as far as feeling threatened by Christians, I don't think I feel it in the sense that I am worried that I am missing out on the whole God thing, or "What if I'm wrong?". I don't feel threatened by what I don't understand about Christians. Ultimately, I think we as humans feel the need to be right. The more backing you have (this is where politics and religion come into play) the more support you have for your own fundamental beliefs. This helps you fit into societies norms.

Richard Dawkins touches on this in a way and mentioned that he doesn't like the term "atheist" because you are grouping yourself into a religion. I can see why he feels this way. He prefers the term "antitheist", but the problem with that is when enough people use the term antitheist it only serves to "regroup" them into a different religious category. Any sort of following or movement big enough to sway the ideas and opinions of people will certainly cause debate. That is why faith and politics become so controversial. People want to be right.

So, I know I took the long way, but YES maybe I do feel a little threatened. But, it is not by Christians, or Muslims, or Jews, or any other religion. Maybe it's just my ego that feels threatened??

Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
My thoughts (after having read all the posts) go back to my gut reaction... they're afraid. They are living their life how they want, by their rules. They even said they don't bother any one, they don't hate others, they just want to be respected for what they don't believe in and they profess to be happy and content. And I believe that's what they think and how they really feel about themselves.

But (and you knew it was coming..) I think they're afraid. Not of the big, bad, mean Christian person mind you, but of what we as true Christians have inside; the joy, peace, hope and the unconditional love of our Heavenly Father. They can't begin to comprehend what we have on the inside. Why can they not comprehend? Because they have excluded God from their lives. They have consciously determined He's a lie, falsehood, fraud, fake, and whatever else negative they can say for any number of reasons they have individually established for themselves. They can't understand the lives true Christians lead and it frightens them, whether they'll admit it or not. They have their intelligence and their logic and that's all they say they need. Because they don't want to believe they don't and they don't want constantly reminded of what they're rejecting. They want to remain in their world they created for themselves. Because they don't want to believe they're missing out on something spectacular. This is just my humble opinion.
I sincerely hope that you didn't read the previous posts before you decided to write this stuff. Because if you did then you are either not listening or just choose to ignore what we are saying. So I'll try it again, and I'll make it nice and short for ya.

We have concern for the Constitution being trampled by Christians trying to legislate your beliefs, thereby imposing your mythology on all of us. That's Un-American.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:48 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
You are so right here they get WHY TO GRAPHIC with elementary and middle school ages. My son has had the class in 5th & 6th as they call the class "Health Education" , he was embarrassed and groused out!!!
That was meant to say WAY TO GRAPHIC!! I'm sure you all got it!!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I already posted my feelings about this earlier in the post but I'd like to add on a little to something that Mams said. I think Mams is right, but not in the sense that he was trying to get his point across. Personally, I think it is in human nature to want to be right, especially when it comes to matters of faith and politics. Why? Well, because these are the things that ultimately govern our lives and, to some, our after-lives. No one ENJOYS being proved wrong or being told they are wrong. That goes for religion as well as it does when talking about cars and you name the wrong size engine and someone points it out. You kind of go "Gee, that sounded so dumb of me." I think that's built into us as humans so that we can fit into the societal norm.

So, as far as feeling threatened by Christians, I don't think I feel it in the sense that I am worried that I am missing out on the whole God thing, or "What if I'm wrong?". I don't feel threatened by what I don't understand about Christians. Ultimately, I think we as humans feel the need to be right. The more backing you have (this is where politics and religion come into play) the more support you have for your own fundamental beliefs. This helps you fit into societies norms.

Richard Dawkins touches on this in a way and mentioned that he doesn't like the term "atheist" because you are grouping yourself into a religion. I can see why he feels this way. He prefers the term "antitheist", but the problem with that is when enough people use the term antitheist it only serves to "regroup" them into a different religious category. Any sort of following or movement big enough to sway the ideas and opinions of people will certainly cause debate. That is why faith and politics become so controversial. People want to be right.

So, I know I took the long way, but YES maybe I do feel a little threatened. But, it is not by Christians, or Muslims, or Jews, or any other religion. Maybe it's just my ego that feels threatened??
Frankly, I think you've made a very insightful assessment, Troop. Very honest post. I love that. Personally, I never thought that atheists felt threatened by Christians...but maybe on some level they do.

And I hear what you're saying too, PHM, about the legal aspects. (Not that I agree, but I do understand your point.)

Old 05-25-2007, 08:01 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I sincerely hope that you didn't read the previous posts before you decided to write this stuff. Because if you did then you are either not listening or just choose to ignore what we are saying. So I'll try it again, and I'll make it nice and short for ya.

We have concern for the Constitution being trampled by Christians trying to legislate your beliefs, thereby imposing your mythology on all of us. That's Un-American.
its Un American to try and take God out of the pledge, off of money and take prayer out of school.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM

Just food for thought .Delaware's Constitutional Convention's on September 6, 1776, modified a statement required of all members of the House:

The Convention met.
On Motion of Mr. McKean,

Resolved unanimously,

That the following Words be added to the Profession of Faith made by the Members of this House respectively, to wit, "And I do acknowledge the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be given by divine Inspiration." [Claudia L. Bushman, Harold B. Hancock, and Elizabeth Moyne Homsey, ed., Proceedings of the Assembly of the Lower Counties on Delaware 1770-1776, of the Constitutional Convention of 1776, and of the House of Assembly of the Delaware State 1776-1781 (Newark, Del.: University of Delaware Press, 1986), 209.]

From the dark days of the Revolution, the Continental Congress wrote these words:
Mr. W[illiam] Livingston, pursuant to leave granted, brought in a resolution for appointing a fast, which (being taken into consideration) was agreed to as follows:
In times of impending calamity and distress; when the liberties of America are imminently endangered by the secret machinations and open assaults of an insidious and vindictive administration, it becomes the indispensable duty of these hitherto free and happy colonies, with true penitence of heart, and the most reverent devotion, publickly to acknowledge the over ruling providence of God; to confess and deplore our offences against him; and to supplicate his interposition for averting the threatened danger, and prospering our strenuous efforts in the cause of freedom, virtue, and posterity.

The Congress, therefore, considering the warlike preparations of the British Ministry to subvert our invaluable rights and priviledges, and to reduce us by fire and sword, by the savages of the wilderness, and our own domestics, to the most abject and ignominious bondage: Desirous, at the same time, to have people of all ranks and degrees duly impressed with a solemn sense of God's superintending providence, and of their duty, devoutly to rely, in all their lawful enterprizes, on his aid and direction, Do earnestly recommend, that Friday, the Seventeenth day of May next, be observed by the said colonies as a day of humiliation, fasting, and prayer; that we may, with united hearts, confess and bewail our manifold sins and transgressions, and, by a sincere repentance and amendment of life, appease his righteous displeasure, and, through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, obtain his pardon and forgiveness; humbly imploring his assistance to frustrate the cruel purposes of our unnatural enemies; and by inclining their hearts to justice and benevolence, prevent the further effusion of kindred blood. But if, continuing deaf to the voice of reason and humanity, and inflexibly bent, on desolation and war, they constrain us to repel their hostile invasions by open resistance, that it may please the Lord of Hosts, the God of Armies, to animate our officers and soldiers with invincible fortitude, to guard and protect them in the day of battle, and to crown the continental arms, by sea and land, with victory and success: Earnestly beseeching him to bless our civil rulers, and the representatives of the people, in their several assemblies and conventions; to preserve and strengthen their union, to inspire them with an ardent, disinterested love of their country; to give wisdom and stability to their counsels; and direct them to the most efficacious measures for establishing the rights of America on the most honourable and permanent basis--That he would be graciously pleased to bless all his people in these colonies with health and plenty, and grant that a spirit of incorruptible patriotism, and of pure undefiled religion, may universally prevail; and this continent be speedily restored to the blessings of peace and liberty, and enabled to transmit them inviolate to the latest posterity. And it is recommended to Christians of all denominations, to assemble for public worship, and abstain from servile labour on the said day.[Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, Saturday, March 16, 1776, pp. 208-209]

A year and a half later, Congress again called for a day of Thanksgiving:
Forasmuch as it is the indispensable duty of all men to adore the superintending providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with gratitude their obligation to him for benefits received, and to implore such farther blessings as they stand in need of; and it having pleased him in his abundant mercy not only to continue to us the innumerable bounties of his common providence, but also to smile upon us in the prosecution of a just and necessary war, for the defence and establishment of our unalienable rights and liberties; particularly in that he hath been pleased in so great a measure to prosper the means used for the support of our troops and to crown our arms with most signal success: It is therefore recommended to the legislative or executive powers of these United States, to set apart Thursday, the eighteenth day of December next, for solemn thanksgiving and praise; that with one heart and one voice the good people may express the grateful feelings of their hearts, and consecrate themselves to the service of their divine benefactor; and that together with their sincere acknowledgments and offerings, they may join the penitent confession of their manifold sins, whereby they had forfeited every favour, and their humble and earnest supplication that it may please God, through the merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and blot them out of remembrance; that it may please him graciously to afford his blessing on the governments of these states respectively, and prosper the public council of the whole; to inspire our commanders both by land and sea, and all under them, with that wisdom and fortitude which may render them fit instruments, under the providence of Almighty God, to secure for these United States the greatest of all human blessings, independence and peace; that it may please him to prosper the trade and manufactures of the people and the labour of the husbandman, that our land may yet yield its increase; to take schools and seminaries of education, so necessary for cultivating the principles of true liberty, virtue and piety, under his nurturing hand, and to prosper the means of religion for the promotion and enlargement of that kingdom which consisteth "in righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost."[Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, Saturday, November 1, 1777, pp. 854-855]
In 1778, the Continental Congress again acknowledged their dependency on God:
The committee appointed to prepare a recommendation to the several states, for setting apart a day of fasting, humiliation, and prayer, brought in the same; which was read and agreed to as follows:
Whereas, Almighty God, in the righteous dispensation of his providence, hath permitted the continuation of a cruel and desolating war in our land; and it being at all times the duty of a people to acknowledge God in all his ways, and more especially to humble themselves before him when evident tokens of his displeasure are manifested; to acknowledge his righteous government; confess, and forsake their evil ways; and implore his mercy:
Resolved, That it be recommended to the United States of America to set apart Wednesday, the 22d day of April next, to be observed as a day of fasting, humiliation, and prayer; that at one time, and with one voice, the inhabitants may acknowledge the righteous dispensations of Divine Providence, and confess their iniquities and transgressions, for which the land mourneth; that they may implore the mercy and forgiveness of God; and beseech him that vice, prophaneness, extortion, and every evil, may be done away; and that we may be a reformed and happy people; that they may unite in humble and earnest supplication, that it may please Almighty God, to guard and defend us against our enemies, and give vigour and success to our military operations by sea and land; that it may please him to bless the civil rulers and people, strengthen and perpetuate our union, and, in his own good time, establish us in the peaceable enjoyment of our rights and liberties; that it may please him to bless our schools and seminaries of learning, and make them nurseries of true piety, virtue and useful knowledge; that it may please him to cause the earth to yield its increase, and to crown the year with his goodness.

And it is recommended to the inhabitants of the United States to abstain, on that day, from labour and recreations.[Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, Saturday, March 7, 1778, pp. 229-230]
From Washington's Farewell Address to the Continental Congress:
I consider it an indispensable duty to close this last act of my official life by commending the interests of our dearest country to the protection of Almighty God, and those who have the superintendence of them to his holy keeping.[Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, Tuesday, December 23, 1783, p. 837]

Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
its Un American to try and take God out of the pledge, off of money and take prayer out of school.
I could care less about God being in the pledge, and as far as I'm concerned, Satan could be on my currency, as long as I have enough of it.

But please tell me how taking prayer out of school is Un-American when we have seperation of church and state?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I could care less about God being in the pledge, and as far as I'm concerned, Satan could be on my currency, as long as I have enough of it.

But please tell me how taking prayer out of school is Un-American when we have seperation of church and state?
read the above section i posted by our forefathers and how many times they mentioned God. I didnt say it had to be mandatory, but our country was founded with a belief in God. Im not saying to force anyone to pray either, but IMO the moral decay of our country went downhill fast when God was not allowed in the classroom.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM

688 posts, read 2,835,429 times
Quote:
read the above section i posted by our forefathers and how many times they mentioned God. I didnt say it had to be mandatory, but our country was founded with a belief in God. Im not saying to force anyone to pray either, but IMO the moral decay of our country went downhill fast when God was not allowed in the classroom.

I agree with you! But you know that all this is....is the prophesies coming to pass, though. It is going to be this way, no matter what and God said that it would be in the last days! So, IMOO, it's not worth arguing about all this. I think it just tosses more coals in the flames!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,236 times
Quote:
Can you clarify moral decay?

People often talk about how the country is in decline, but I can point to things that show it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.