Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times

Advertisements

Why are Atheists so threatened by Christians?

It seems to me that a person who is confident that there is no god and no afterlife would have little to gain by arguing the point of God's existence. The Christian is pursuing their belief that God wants everyone to believe in him and therefore must pursue Atheists, but who does the atheist believe wants them to convince christians that there is no god? What does the atheist get out of this except for a headache?

Let me know what your motivation for debating this topic is and why so many are so passionate about attacking the christian belief system.

This is not a challenge to prove or disprove the existence of God or gods, nor is it an opportunity to prove which specific brand of belief system has more or less merit than any other. I want to know what motivates people to argue this topic, not what arguments they usually make.

I will admit that I do not argue this to evangalize or to convert people to my beliefs. I enjoy the debate and the mental challange to defend my position with people that are much more devoted to study than I am and likewise enjoy arguing a position. I am not so much into the chapter and verse of the bible and theology as I am the intent of the message. I do believe in Christ, but do not see myself as the avenging evangelist destined to save the world.

I believe we all have our part to play in this grand scheme, wheter we believe in the scheme or not makes no difference. What do you feel your part is supposed to be?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post

Let me know what your motivation for debating this topic is
The same motivation as yours, I should think. To debate and to solidify their own belief systems.

Frankly, if you really just wanted to learn more about Christianity and gain more and different insights about Christianity, you'd be on a Christian forum, not one baldly known for very heated debates. Or to take it further, if you yourself were firm in your own beliefs (as you intimate atheists must not be, or they wouldn't be here), then you wouldn't need to debate, either. Right?

I'm not an atheist but I am one of those people you talk about "attacking" the Christian belief system so I figured I'd throw my thoughts into the ring.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
I'm not an atheist- but I also don't go to church. I'm going to do my best to answer from my perspective........

I've never had an atheist knock at my door and try to hand me pamphlets to convert.

I've never had an atheist corner me in an attempt to convert me to atheism.

I've never had an atheist try to tell me how to live my life- threaten my future because I may be having premarital sex, may have had an abortion, might be gay or have gotten divorced.

Atheists may debate their beliefs or lack thereof but they don't tend to try so hard to change people.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:32 PM

688 posts, read 2,836,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The same motivation as yours, I should think. To debate and to solidify their own belief systems.

Frankly, if you really just wanted to learn more about Christianity and gain more and different insights about Christianity, you'd be on a Christian forum, not one baldly known for very heated debates. Or to take it further, if you yourself were firm in your own beliefs (as you intimate atheists must not be, or they wouldn't be here), then you wouldn't need to debate, either. Right?

I'm not an atheist but I am one of those people you talk about "attacking" the Christian belief system so I figured I'd throw my thoughts into the ring.

I agree with some of what JerZ is saying here. I don't think it is wise to go into a debate with atheists. If they do not want to believe, that is their right. We can answer the questions as we like, but we shouldn't argue back and forth about it. That's senseless.
I think it's fine though, to be on here and talk about Christianity with each other and with your fellow Christians. This forum wasn't meant to be a "debate only" forum I wouldn't think. I've shared some good things with other Christians here and have read some amazing posts! So that is a good thing! Yes, sometimes someone comes along with a crude remark or something but I've recently learned to let it go and not get heated about it. If you must answer, answer with a short answer and not get into it with them. You will only be fueling the fire, and if your a Christian, knowing that the unbeliever will live eternally in hell, it should be your hopes that they somehow get a revelation here, not a headache, or get angry. I think we should stick to sharing the love of Christ here, not arguing His existence with peope who are set on the idea that He doesn't. That is NOT fruitful! I hope this helps you Johnrex62 in what your pondering on.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I don't think "threatened" is the right word... annoyed or worried would be more like it, in my opinion. First, Atheists are annoyed by the constant proselytizing and "You're going to Hell if you don't believe!". Second, Christians worry non-Christians (not just Atheists, mind you) because they often think laws should pander to their beliefs. Freedom of religion includes ALL religions and lack thereof, but some Christians think it only applies to them. Take the gay marriage debate (which I don't want to actually argue here - yet again), where religious conservatives use the Bible to justify their points against it. So that is worrisome, because they'd be happy if all governmental laws and decisions were based on the Christian Bible. When the roles are reversed, I do notice PLENTY of whining and complaining from the Christian side too...

Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
johnrex62 wrote:
Quote:
The answer is because we're villified by Christians and according to a poll I read recently that asked people who they would consider voting for we ranked even lower than homosexuals and you know how popular they are among Christians. I wish I could remember the exact percentage but basically we couldn't be elected to any public office. When preachers say the word atheist or secular humanist their facial expression is generally a sneer as though they're talking about something vile and distasteful. There really is a threat that the extreme fringes of Christians who would like to replace our government with one that's based on their version of Christianity. They also try to get on as many school boards as possible to promote their agenda in public schools. Are those good enough reasons?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Why are atheists so threatened by Christians?

LOL...hmmm... I wish some of the atheists who post on this forum were MORE threatened by Christians, frankly!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
I wish some of the atheists who post on this forum were MORE threatened by Christians, frankly!
Oh no, are you coming after me?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Oh no, are you coming after me?
Be afraid, be VERY afraid!!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post

It seems to me that a person who is confident that there is no god and no afterlife would have little to gain by arguing the point of God's existence. The Christian is pursuing their belief that God wants everyone to believe in him and therefore must pursue Atheists, but who does the atheist believe wants them to convince christians that there is no god? What does the atheist get out of this except for a headache?

Let me know what your motivation for debating this topic is and why so many are so passionate about attacking the christian belief system.

This is not a challenge to prove or disprove the existence of God or gods, nor is it an opportunity to prove which specific brand of belief system has more or less merit than any other. I want to know what motivates people to argue this topic, not what arguments they usually make.

I will admit that I do not argue this to evangalize or to convert people to my beliefs. I enjoy the debate and the mental challange to defend my position with people that are much more devoted to study than I am and likewise enjoy arguing a position. I am not so much into the chapter and verse of the bible and theology as I am the intent of the message. I do believe in Christ, but do not see myself as the avenging evangelist destined to save the world.

I believe we all have our part to play in this grand scheme, wheter we believe in the scheme or not makes no difference. What do you feel your part is supposed to be?
Oh my. It's really the other way aroud. Many Christians are scared stoneless by anyone different then they are.

Most atheists are here because they have to deal with Christian bigotry and obnoxious behavior in day to day life. It pays to know what Christians are up to so it can be countered.

It's not feeling threatened....it's keep tabs on folks that really don't wish them well.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 05-24-2007 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: edited for type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality