Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,197,688 times

Advertisements

Why do Christians despise science? Because scientists suggest that the earth might be older than 6000 years and that doesn't bode well with a literal word by word interpretation of the Bible. In addition, the Flood of Noah as is written in the Bible is a scientific impossibility, no matter how you try to explain it.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,113,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why do Christians despise science? Because scientists suggest that the earth might be older than 6000 years and that doesn't bode well with a literal word by word interpretation of the Bible.
I am a Christian and I don't "despise science."

Perhaps you need to reexamine your erroneous assumptions about Christians.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,192,739 times
Originally Posted by AxisMundi
Quote:
Islam wasn't even invented until much of the sciences of the Old World had been developed, including Optics."
And that is precisely my point, not until Ibn al-Haytham did the scientist use the scientific method.
What the Greeks did could hardly be called a method, because it was more a philosophy.
Until Aristotle they lacked empiricism.

Quote:
From your own link to what admits is hardly a professional site...
As long as they get the facts straight I don't care whether they are professionals or amateurs, or theists or atheists.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,474,287 times
I love science. It's the method that has improved our lives and helps us understand the Universe. It's how we learn about repeatable natural phenomena and that's eminently valuable. There's also just the thrill of discovery and better understanding how things work or happen. I particularly enjoy astrophysics and studies of odd animals. I try to follow what's going on with extrasolar planets and the like.

That said science is not the centerpiece of how I live or my source for all things. I don't think everything is reducible to science and that science is everything. I went into history rather than science because I want to understand people and how we got to this place as a society. I don't think people are completely reducible to science or at least I hope they aren't. Also I think science in itself is basically amoral. Not immoral, amoral. I don't think it has any creed to it. So I suppose I distrust it to the extent I think it needs ethical regulations that do not automatically spring from it.

I think often when an atheist says "Why do Christians despise science?" what they mean is "Why is science not central in your life?" Atheist homes are more likely to produce scientists, this is part of why atheists are overrepresented in science, probably because science is so important to atheists. Science is not as central to Christians and so we're more likely to become accountants, lawyers, cops, English teachers, or whatever.

Although there is some history of repressing science by religion. This likely happens when the religion becomes too fixated on religion as a means to answer "how" questions rather than "why" questions. Or at least that's my theory at this answer.

Anyway see you later.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,399,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by AxisMundi And that is precisely my point, not until Ibn al-Haytham did the scientist use the scientific method.
What the Greeks did could hardly be called a method, because it was more a philosophy.
Until Aristotle they lacked empiricism.

As long as they get the facts straight I don't care whether they are professionals or amateurs, or theists or atheists.
And who says they have their "facts straight"?

Every source I can find on the subject note the scientific method being developed in Greece long before Ibn al-Haytham was a sparkle in his poppa's eyes, including your source.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,292,820 times
How about not generalizing "Christians" and say, "Why do some Christians despise science?" And even "despise" is kinda extreme. Yes, some do, but I think it is not as common as people who generalize think. That's how misunderstandings and conflicts start, people go into things thinking overall about something. I am Christian and I love science.

That's kinda messed up for you to title your thread that way and to have that approach to Christians.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,192,739 times
Originally Posted by AxisMundi
Quote:
Every source I can find on the subject note the scientific method being developed in Greece long before Ibn al-Haytham was a sparkle in his poppa's eyes, including your source.
I'll grant you that the ancient Greeks are the developers of the scientific method, but not the modern scientific method.
Or do you simply deny the fact that a (scientific) method without empiricism is more a philosophy than it is a science?
Without Ibn al-Haytham (or his modern scientific method) we'd probably still be stuck in the Dark Ages.
Cauz Da Vinci was greatly influenced by the Book of Optics.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,113,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I love science. It's the method that has improved our lives and helps us understand the Universe. It's how we learn about repeatable natural phenomena and that's eminently valuable. There's also just the thrill of discovery and better understanding how things work or happen. I particularly enjoy astrophysics and studies of odd animals. I try to follow what's going on with extrasolar planets and the like.

That said science is not the centerpiece of how I live or my source for all things. I don't think everything is reducible to science and that science is everything. I went into history rather than science because I want to understand people and how we got to this place as a society. I don't think people are completely reducible to science or at least I hope they aren't. Also I think science in itself is basically amoral. Not immoral, amoral. I don't think it has any creed to it. So I suppose I distrust it to the extent I think it needs ethical regulations that do not automatically spring from it.

I think often when an atheist says "Why do Christians despise science?" what they mean is "Why is science not central in your life?" Atheist homes are more likely to produce scientists, this is part of why atheists are overrepresented in science, probably because science is so important to atheists. Science is not as central to Christians and so we're more likely to become accountants, lawyers, cops, English teachers, or whatever.

Although there is some history of repressing science by religion. This likely happens when the religion becomes too fixated on religion as a means to answer "how" questions rather than "why" questions. Or at least that's my theory at this answer.

Anyway see you later.
Interesting ideas Thomas. Is it true that Christians are disproportionately represented in non-scientific careers, and atheists in scientific ones? I've never seen a study to this effect, but as you are a keen researcher I will take your word for it.

I do think you hit on a central point -- science is not "central" to the lives of Christians, rather it is a tool for understanding the physical world--which is merely one aspect of the created world.

I am reminded of an article I read recently by Amy Welborn about the novelist Walker Percy, a convert to the Catholic faith who also trained as an MD:

Quote:
Althought Percy worked on the school newspaper in high school and was an astute observer of all that surrounded him, writer was not his first chosen vocation. As an undergraduate at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, he embraced science, majoring in chemistry. He graduated from Columbia Medical School, and although with diminishing enthusiasm for the profession, intended to be a physician. But while serving an internship in a pathology lab, that plan ended when he contracted tuberculosis.

Percy had spent his recovery from TB in intense reading of literature and philosophy, all of which contributed to his interest in unpacking the mystery of what ailed the human psyche, not just the body. His serious reading of the Bible and various philosophers led him to conclude that of all the choices available - scientism, relativism, the romantic stoicism of his Uncle Will - Christianity offered the most realistic assessment of human nature, in all of its weakness and possibilites.

READ MORE....

Walker Percy

Old 01-17-2010, 01:02 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,006,127 times
Quote:
I do think you hit on a central point -- science is not "central" to the lives of Christians, rather it is a tool for understanding the physical world--which is merely one aspect of the created world.
I don't think science is central to the lives of Atheists either, at least not in my life...More important to me are the people in my life....Although I do have a keen interest in science, particularly the natural sciences...I agree that it is just a tool for understanding the universe, but much more than that, when you think of all the progress made in the last century....Because of science we are able to sit at home and converse with people almost anywhere on earth...It is my hope that eventually this will lead to better understanding of various cultures for all of us....Being single I also wouldn't want to give up my microwave

Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM

598 posts, read 915,231 times
Christianity (and all other religions) work in a much simpler way:

1). Have faith by presuming there is a God

2). Ignore all evidences

3). See God everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality