Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:52 PM

954 posts, read 813,329 times

Advertisements

[quote=Steve-o;782842]
Quote:
I have faith in what the bible says. I do NOT have faith in mankind, because all its done is lead us down the wrong paths.
We'll see how you feel about that when they take you into hospital with some life threatening health problem.

Quote:
All I want is simple proof that a dog has produced a non-dog.
No comment!! I think your statement shows that there's no point in discussing it.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:08 PM

954 posts, read 813,329 times
According to creationists, life has remained the same since God created it. So how would they explain MRSA and hospital super bugs? Would they say they've always existed and now we've just discovered them? Or would they have to concede that life can change?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:11 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
These are known as PRATTs (Points Refuted A Thousand Times) Of course, being an average Joe, you wouldn't be aware of this. Hovind, on the other hand, is, which makes him a liar. He's also a thief. Myself, I become angry after having been lied to. Do you?

I could go into why these arguments are fallacious, mostly strawmen (the "violin" argument is silly, as anyone who understands carbon dating could tell you), but you'd do yourself a favor by researching them yourself.
Uugghhhhh! The arrogance of this statement! Yes, knowing that a man who has no bookkeeping skills went to prison...that more than makes you intellectually superior.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm not doubting that you can, but I'm asking you to prove this statement with something other than 'cuz I said so'.
I mean, seriously, who are all these Christians that believe in evolution? I have been around Christians all of my life, and never once have I heard someone say the word evolution.....it's not discussed because it's stupid.

I watched part of a documentary about "creationists vs. evolutionists" - it was just a bunch of poker playing geeks sitting around discussing why they are so superior and more intelligent because they have what they view as the correct intellectual view of how we got here.

The "creationists" were former evolutionists, so they were all basically arguing with themselves. Yeah, real intelligent.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:18 PM

124 posts, read 396,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
This statement sent me on a search, because all the articles I've read in recent years from a wide variety of sources indicate this claim is simply not true. I found an excellent site that lists many different polls regarding this issue. For argument's sake, I picked the Gallop Poll because it showed results for multiple years:

Gallup Poll. May 8-11, 2006. N=1,002 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings? (1) Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process. (2) Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process. (3) God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so." [For discussion purposes, I've only listed the results for options #2 and #3.]

2006: 13% - evolution w/o God; 46% - God created (option #3)
2004: 13% - evolution w/o God; 45% - God created
2001: 12% - evolution w/o God; 45% - God created
1999: ..9% - evolution w/o God; 47% - God created
1997: 10% - evolution w/o God; 44% - God created
1993: 11% - evolution w/o God; 47% - God created
1982: ..9% - evolution w/o God; 44% - God created
link: Science and Nature

Those who chose option #1 range from 35-40%, depending upon the year.

Other polls listed at the above link are: Newsweek 2007, CBS 2006-2005-2004, CNN/USA/Gallup 2005, Harris 2005, NBC News 2005, CBS News/New York Times Poll 2005, Gallup 2004, and Fox News 1999. All of the polls had similar questions with similar results.

These polls show a cross-section of America, not just Christians; so I think it's a stretch to say that the majority of Christians accept evolution. I sincerely doubt that the 35-40% who believe in some form of theistic evolution are all Christian since evangelical Christians are 26.3% of the population, Catholics - 22%, Mainline Protestant - 16%. I think it goes without saying that those who believe in naturalistic evolution are definitely not all Christian.

Furthermore, I discovered that anywhere from 55%-80% of people polled would like to see some form of intelligent design taught in the classroom.

The fact is, evolution doesn't have nearly the support, Christian or otherwise, in the U.S. or the world that its adherents would like us to believe!

-------

Other interesting links that support the above:

Poll: Creationism Trumps Evolution - CBS News
Anti-evolution teachings gain foothold in U.S. schools / Evangelicals see flaws in Darwinism This link includes the question: In your opinion, is Darwin's theory supported by evidence? Answers: Supported by evidence, 35%.....Not supported, 35%.....Don't know enough to say, 29%
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Britons unconvinced on evolution (for the British perspective)
Beliefs of the U.S. public about evolution and creation
FOXNews.com - Russian Teen Sues School Over Teaching of Evolution - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236417,00.html - broken link) (interesting development in Russia)
Pew Research Center: An Evolving Debate about Evolution (has an interesting sidebar regarding scientists' views on evolution)
The statement "The fact is, evolution doesn't have nearly the support, Christian or otherwise, in the U.S. or the world that its adherents would like us to believe!" is somewhat misleading. When you take the Western Industrialized world as whole, you find in the more educated countries of the world, evolution leads the way. Here is a quote from a report published by the National Geographic Society in August 2006:

"In the U.S., only 14 percent of adults thought that evolution was "definitely true," while about a third firmly rejected the idea.

In European countries, including Denmark, Sweden, and France, more than 80 percent of adults surveyed said they accepted the concept of evolution.

The proportion of western European adults who believed the theory "absolutely false" ranged from 7 percent in Great Britain to 15 percent in the Netherlands.

The only country included in the study where adults were more likely than Americans to reject evolution was Turkey.

The investigation also showed that the percentage of U.S. adults who are uncertain about evolution has risen from 7 percent to 21 percent in the past 20 years."

The United States continues to fall further behind the world in sciences somewhat in part to the false science of ID. Only Turkey residents appear to be dumber.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:29 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Uugghhhhh! The arrogance of this statement! Yes, knowing that a man who has no bookkeeping skills went to prison...that more than makes you intellectually superior.
LOL!

Bookkeeping skills? You're joking, right?

Who said anything about intellect? I'm talking about honesty. You know, one of the hallmarks of Christianity.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
LOL!

Bookkeeping skills? You're joking, right?

Who said anything about intellect? I'm talking about honesty. You know, one of the hallmarks of Christianity.
I see why the rest of the Christians here have moved on. First of all, I don't recall Steve-o saying anything about Hovind being a Christian, per se. He is another science geek who really IS smart because he has proven that evolution is completely ludicrous. That makes him a "creationist". All of you atheists/agnostics/evolutionists....love to talk about honesty and the fact that Christians are supposed to be perfect. We're tired of telling you that we are all sinners, Christian or not. Jesus is the only one who is perfect, He is the only one who saves, He is the only one who has all the answers and unless you resolve to let go of your arrogance and accept Him as your Saviour, you will never have peace of mind, body, spirit OR have answers to any of your relentless questions. Now, 'nuff said.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I mean, seriously, who are all these Christians that believe in evolution?
Religious preference in the US - Christian 82%; March, 2002; Pew Research Council

Largest Religious Groups in the USA

Acceptance of evolution in the US - 48%; March, 2007; Newsweek

Science and Nature

You do the math.

Quote:
I have been around Christians all of my life, and never once have I heard someone say the word evolution.....
I've been around Italians all my life, and I've never once heard the word ciao. See where I'm going with this?
Quote:
it's not discussed because it's stupid.
Now there's a convincing argument!

Quote:
I watched part of a documentary about "creationists vs. evolutionists" - it was just a bunch of poker playing geeks sitting around discussing why they are so superior and more intelligent because they have what they view as the correct intellectual view of how we got here.
I believe they evolved from poker playing dogs.

QED

Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I see why the rest of the Christians here have moved on.
Why are you still here?
Quote:
First of all, I don't recall Steve-o saying anything about Hovind being a Christian, per se.
Point? I don't recall claiming anything of the sort, either.
Quote:
He is another science geek who really IS smart because he has proven that evolution is completely ludicrous. That makes him a "creationist".
Funny. That would also make him a Nobel Prize winner. I guess he can pick it up once he gets out of prison.
Quote:
All of you atheists/agnostics/evolutionists....love to talk about honesty and the fact that Christians are supposed to be perfect.
I don't recall claiming that anyone is supposed to be perfect.
Quote:
We're tired of telling you that we are all sinners, Christian or not.
Though I don't share the Christian concept of sin, I certainly can see man's inhumanity toward man. What does this have to do with Kent Hovind being a greedy lying criminal?
Quote:
Jesus is the only one who is perfect, He is the only one who saves, He is the only one who has all the answers and unless you resolve to let go of your arrogance and accept Him as your Saviour, you will never have peace of mind, body, spirit OR have answers to any of your relentless questions. Now, 'nuff said.
Nice sermon, but again...never mind.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Northsouth wrote:
Quote:
He is another science geek who really IS smart because he has proven that evolution is completely ludicrous. That makes him a "creationist".
No one has ever proven evolution to be false even after a century and a half of trying. Speaking of creationists, that seems to be an American phenomenon for the most part. This is the only modern industrial country that has a large number of citizens who believe this way. It's very unusual to find creationists in Europe, Asia and other parts of the world. In fact, we're often ridiculed because of it. As I said to someone else, if anyone has scientific proof that creationism is real why don't they publish the scientific data in the same manner that real scientists do? Of course, the reason is that they can't publish anything because there is no scientific data that supports their point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality