Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Ah, you're sweet, but it was I who enjoyed it. They were Mormon, and they came very late for what they were out doing -- around 9 p.m.. I can't remember both questions I asked them, but one was, since they are both in college, what were they going to do when they learn that the (Was it Nephites?) didn't exist. They said they would take that they did by faith. The other question was more theological, but try as I might, I can't remember.
No matter. I still think it was nice of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
What do you do when they knock at your door?
I smile and say, "Thank you, but I'm Catholic. Have a nice day."

Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I usually pretend to listen to them talk, if they are talking forever I tell them I have food in the oven. Take brochure. Say thanks for stopping by and have a good day. Throw brochure in garbage and make myself a sandwich

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
At least most of you are polite!

Now what happens when a Mormon (me) answers the door for Jehovahs Witnesses!
Its like the unstoppable object hitting the immovable object, mass confusion, cats & dogs sleeping together....

Seriously, there is never a reason to be rude, and I always remember the golden rule and that obviously these people are sincere in what they are doing.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I like the way Mrs. Brown handles it...

Mrs. Brown and The Mormons - Mrs. Brown's Boys Episode 6, preview - BBC One - YouTube

Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 AM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Default Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure what the JWs believe it going to happen to you, but I can assure you the Mormons don't believe you're going to burn.
Shalom Katzpur...
was taking down a dead tree last week and two elders stopped their car and got out to help. I thanked them for their thoughtfulness but assured them that the job was nearly finished. They started chatting with the homeowner about what they believe...I remember them saying that we all preexisted with G-d in spirit bodies. Do Mormons believe that, or did I hear incorrectly?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
I remember them saying that we all preexisted with G-d in spirit bodies. Do Mormons believe that, or did I hear incorrectly?
Yes, Mormons believe that. They believe Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother gave all of us our spirit bodies, and we lived with them before they sent us to earth to gain our physical bodies from our earthly parents. They believe we have always existed and will always exist. Before Heavenly Father gave us our spirit bodies, we existed as intelligences. They believe Heavenly Father was once an intelligence, was given a spirit body by his Heavenly Father and Mother before he was sent to a planet to receive his physical body, and he eventually became a god.

You can learn more about the Mormon beliefs concerning intelligences here, on this pro-Mormon Encyclopedia of Mormonism.

You can learn more about Mormon beliefs concerning pre-mortal life here.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
What do you do when they knock at your door?
Tell them I dont believe in God and they give me that wide open mouth look as if Im crazy and then I slam the door on them

Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
JW's I just say I'm not interested, they move along.

Mormons I tell them we'll talk after they get home and decide to leave the church.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
If someone is so inconsiderate as to knock on my door to tell me the "good news" that I heard over 60 years ago, they deserve whatever verbal abuse I decide to throw at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality