Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

Good morning dear cd'ers.

Please stay on topic and remember cd is not a chat room, where any and everything is thrown into the thread, including insults, and personal discussions between two or three members that doesn't have a diddly to do with the op...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
If homosexuality were tought in schools human beings would stop reproducing and we would become extinct. You probably wouldn't exist to ask such stupid questions.

Your example of the Christian kid and atheist kid is extreme and is a typical stereotype that you maybe saw. By your logic, we may as well take all stereotypes at face value and be completely hateful to one another. That would most definitely make the world a much more pleasant place to live.

Wow. I never knew that teaching homosexuality would automatically make straight kids gay! That is soooo weird! ROFL! That is the best comment I've seen in a long time! And yes...my OP implies that we should all be hateful to one another! You go first! Wait you just did! Next!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
What does the constitution have to do with my post?! Nothing! Great document and all but nothing to do with my post....

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Wow. I never knew that teaching homosexuality would automatically make straight kids gay! That is soooo weird! ROFL! That is the best comment I've seen in a long time! And yes...my OP implies that we should all be hateful to one another! You go first! Wait you just did! Next!
You need to lay off the coffee. If homosexuality were tought for a number of years (or centuries), much as reproduction was, who is to say what would or would not have happened? I didn't mean overnight it would turn people gay. Kids are tought male to female sexuality because it keeps the population going, its what is natural for the majority. Thats why its tought. You also should rep me if you found it that hysterical. Personally, I have no problem if they keep sexuality entirely out of schools, much like religion, and let the parents teach that stuff.

My post wasn't hateful at all either, I'm just saying you are way too buying into stereotypes. Not all Christians and atheists behave that way. You're just attempting to incite a riot of sorts by categorizing.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
(or, as in a previous post, you claimed "hardcore Christians will have a hissy fit"
I never said that, you are mistaking me for a different poster.

Quote:
I accept your claim that some Christians do, but again, I still don't know what conclusions you are drawing from it
You said that you had never seen it happen. I posted to tell you that indeed it does. I'm not drawing any conclusions from that other than that the OP seems to be pretty spot-on with her thread title.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I never said that, you are mistaking me for a different poster.

You said that you had never seen it happen. I posted to tell you that indeed it does. I'm not drawing any conclusions from that other than that the OP seems to be pretty spot-on with her thread title.

I stand corrected -- I think I need some coffee or better yet, a drink!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
You need to lay off the coffee. If homosexuality were tought for a number of years (or centuries), much as reproduction was, who is to say what would or would not have happened?
Perhaps because one's sexual orientation and attractions are not something that can be taught or changed by a school curriculum, but are in fact inherit to an individual when they are born?

FYI, homosexuality exists in just about every higher form of life on the planet, which has likely been the case for millions and millions of years. If it led to extinction, we wouldn't be here NOW.

Quote:
I didn't mean overnight it would turn people gay. Kids are tought male to female sexuality because it keeps the population going, its what is natural for the majority.
One cannot be "turned gay"

YIKES. I was seriously hoping you were a POE. It's rather scary there are actually people who really seriously believe nonsense like you do.

Quote:
My post wasn't hateful at all either, I'm just saying you are way too buying into stereotypes.
Time for yet another irony meter..

Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
Quote:
You need to lay off the coffee. If homosexuality were tought for a number of years (or centuries), much as reproduction was, who is to say what would or would not have happened? I didn't mean overnight it would turn people gay. Kids are tought male to female sexuality because it keeps the population going, its what is natural for the majority. Thats why its tought. You also should rep me if you found it that hysterical. Personally, I have no problem if they keep sexuality entirely out of schools, much like religion, and let the parents teach that stuff.

My post wasn't hateful at all either, I'm just saying you are way too buying into stereotypes. Not all Christians and atheists behave that way. You're just attempting to incite a riot of sorts by categorizing.
Ask all the straight people who takes a human sexuality course in college about their orientation a few years down the line

Like sex ed, human sexuality is quite important as it's for educational purposes and to weed out and educate the potential homophobic children that will turn into homophobic adults.

During middle school, we were taught about the histories of different countries and their religious beliefs. Would YOU make a stink about it? It's educational and it's not out to convert anyone.

It's not like the schools will make the curriculum with whips, chains, and leathers while showing hardcore gay barebacking ****s or lesbian makeout scenes It'll probably just be a short piece (in sex ed) that some people are attracted to others of the same sex and that it's "normal" Making mountains out of molehills people

Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
But addressing the OP, Christians probably feel that by reaching out and spreading the "truth", they are saving others, which in turn, save themselves and give them a sense of achievement in their god's eyes.

I've talked to a Christian before and she sort of agreed with me that it was "respectful that they are aggressively trying to push their views because they felt compassion to others", but at the same time, it was "disrespectful for trying to impose their views on others when others may have different beliefs".

Ehh...hit and miss :X

I guess if you said this to a Christian, they would shut up and move on :P

Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

This means that nearly any group has the right to knock on a door and ask to speak with the resident. Atheists, agnostics, and pagans have this right, same as everyone else. Should they elect to NOT EXERCISE it, that is their perogative.

In sum, your problem doesn't seem to be Christians, but rather, "Freedom of Speech." As such, perhaps you should work to change the law instead of just complaining about it.
Ahh the Deflection... nicely done. The issue isn't whether they have the right, but rather why do they do it, and then issue stern warnings about the imminent collapse of our society, courtesy of rock-n-roll, drugs, atheism, gays & lesbians, etc.

Instead of perhaps assuming most folks DON'T WANT TO BE DISTURBED with holy messaging. Surely I don't, but I chased some rabidly determined Southern Baptists off my property by being excessively nice, polite, but monopolizing the conversation with bits and bytes of real knowledge about Evolution that they, having only sat up and learned their abbreviated and hugely erroneous version of it from AiG, etc., had nothing to come back with.

"Well, it's been nice talking to you! God bless, and have a nice day!" Hasty retreat back into sedan....

BTW, I'd have doubts about Evolution too, if I had only the tripe they've been fed. Oddly, they're also really not interested in hearing a more correct and enlightened version, and I surely don't go knocking on their doors on Saturday afternoons with "The Message of Truth & Light"...

Back to you, DS. No further deflections allowed tho', OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality