Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times

Advertisements

For example....some say they "evangelize everyone because they are commanded to..." BUT when it comes to something like gay people they (Christians) will say something like..."I don't care if they are gay as long as they don't push it on me or teach it to school kids..."

Kind of a double standard....an arrogant one at that.

How bout another example. Christian kid has an atheist kid over to play...Christian family talks to the atheist kid about god and church....BUT if the Christian kid were over at the atheist kid's house and the parents talked about why the kid should NOT believe in god the Christian kid's parents would most likely have a hissy fit!

Just one of those thoughts that I've been thinking lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times
Come on, DaniMae1!

You don't do any favors to gays by suggesting that they should push their sexual orientation or life style on anyone or teach it to school kids!

Just let it go.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
Some Christians push their views on everybody because they are so sure that they are right, and anyone who disagrees with them are wrong.
These are generally the same Christians who interpret the bible literally, and have created their god in their own mean spirited image.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-23-2010 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: edited out remark about member

Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
For example....some say they "evangelize everyone because they are commanded to..." BUT when it comes to something like gay people they (Christians) will say something like..."I don't care if they are gay as long as they don't push it on me or teach it to school kids..."

Kind of a double standard....an arrogant one at that.

How bout another example. Christian kid has an atheist kid over to play...Christian family talks to the atheist kid about god and church....BUT if the Christian kid were over at the atheist kid's house and the parents talked about why the kid should NOT believe in god the Christian kid's parents would most likely have a hissy fit!

Just one of those thoughts that I've been thinking lately.
Your hypotheticals don't stand up.

The objection in the first hypothetical is not a "double standard" since public schools are not allowed to "evangelize" for Christianity or for any other religion.

As regards to the "playdate" example, it sounds very contrived. You are assuming that most Christian parents would "evangelize" to an atheist child by talking about God and Church. Again, I have never seen this happen. Speaking personally, I have never asked my own children whether their friends are Christian, Atheist, Buddhist, Wiccan, Fill-in-the-blank, nor have I asked the "friends" themselves. The subject does not come up, and ours is a house where religion is hardly marginal. Further, you have assumed that if it was done, the Atheist parents would not have a "hissy fit" in response. What is the basis for these assumptions?

Your post reminds me of the one from Nea1 a couple weeks ago that was deleted by the mods, where she complained that she was sick of Chrisitans "getting in her face" "all the time" with their beliefs. When I asked her to cite specific examples, the best she could come up with was Christians protesting against Roe v. Wade, the Pope issuing statements about world politics/the environement/social policy, and Christians knocking on her door to proselytize.

When I pointed out to her that America is a Constitutional Democracy where all citizens including Christians have freedom of speech and freedom of assembly, and that if she is being harassed at her doorstep by anyone, including Christian proselytizers, she should call the local police, she proceeded to tell me it was "sad" that Christians had freedom of speech.

Last edited by DreamingSpires; 01-22-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,488 times
Because that's the way how it goes sadly. You have to deal with it. Though, I do agree that gays shouldn't be pushing their sexual preferences in schools nor preach it to schools, that's something that should be done with their same-sex spouse behind closed doors. This by the way is coming from an atheist...

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
"I don't care if they are gay as long as they don't push it on me or teach it to school kids..."
Its not generally Christians who say this but southern homophobic non-religious people. Christians generally want to tell the homosexual they are an abomination and are going to hell if they don't 'change'.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Do you really believe Atheist parents in the deep South are as "tolerant" as her fictional Atheist parents? Pardon me if I'm slightly sceptical about that
First of all, there should not be many atheist parents in the South.

If you start counting them, they'll bizarrely happen to be members of one City-Data

Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Because that's the way how it goes sadly. You have to deal with it. Though, I do agree that gays shouldn't be pushing their sexual preferences in schools nor preach it to schools, that's something that should be done with their same-sex spouse behind closed doors. This by the way is coming from an atheist...
What exactly would "pushing/preaching their sexual preference" in schools entail? This has never happened. Informing children that there are people who like the same sex, that it is OK to be gay and that some families are made up of two parents of the same sex is not pushing or preaching homosexuality. It is simply stating facts and a educating them in reality.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
It depends on what is meant by evangelism. If it simply means saying what you believe, and stating it as a belief, that should be fine either way. For example a gay person saying that they believe it's okay to act on one's homosexual desires should be fine. I actually have no problem with people who believe homosexuals don't need to be celibate and act on that. Although I don't think schools should be getting into sexual/romantic morality until at least 10-12 or maybe not ever.

However saying that homosexual sex simply is okay, in some objective inarguable way, is more like proselytizing. It's not telling one's opinion to others, and why one believes it, it's an attempt to push a position as the only acceptable one. Likewise just saying that all heterosexuals should act on their heterosexuality or get married, as if this were inarguable, would also be offensive to me. I do not want schools teaching kids that if they're heterosexual they must get married someday or at least have sex. Maybe some kids have a neurological condition which will mean they're essentially asexual. Or maybe they're meant to be celibate. Or maybe they're Radical Feminists who believe marriage or even heterosexuality is a form of patriarchal oppression. Or maybe they believe the UFO people will only accept virgins, whatever.

On religion telling one's opinions doesn't have to be the same as trying to press people to agree. Although in general I wouldn't really want evangelism in public schools either.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
You are assuming that most Christian parents would "evangelize" to an atheist child by talking about God and Church. Again, I have never seen this happen.
It happened to me at multiple Christian households when I was a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality